An 'A League' team in Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also fwiw they would be better off pushing for a Geelong big bash team, make use of the lights, just put a drop in pitch in... The BBL only runs for about 3 or 4 weeks as well so wouldn't effect the footy at all.

Would be good to actually have a team for people to have genuine ties to as well, instead of picking red Melbourne or green Melbourne

Would love a team in Geelong as it would give me a reason to watch the A-League.

Well you have changed your tune :D

I don't know if i could follow a geelong a-league team, as the melbourne victory are my chosen a-league team. So its a bit of a dilemma.

I do enjoy watching soccer but AFL will always be my number 1 sport.

******* hell Willo_ had no idea I posted that.

That's embarrassing :$
It's not embarrassing at all. All you say is actually consistent.
Sounds to me that if pushed, you chose MV as your A League team, but with very little interest, but If Geelong entered the A League, you'd go for them, and your interest would increase.
Wonder how many would totally agree with you. MANY.

BTW, many people support MCFC because they hate that MV is coached by Muscat. And some just hate MV.

The sad thing is that is all that City really have going for them is the fact they aren't Victory. Where as a Geelong Team would have a genuine identity.

I'm a casual A-League fan. I go to 3-4 MV games a season and make an effort to watch them on TV each week, but if Geelong were to get a team I would be on board in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure if it would be sustainable though, I mean we seem to struggle to get 25K to an AFL game at KP each home game.

wow. I can barely even remember this thread.
Had to read it all again :)

Yeah I agree willo. It seems they'll go for a big bash team now.

But there is an A league game at KP in January I think.

wow. I can barely even remember this thread.
Had to read it all again :)

Yeah I agree willo. It seems they'll go for a big bash team now.

But there is an A league game at KP in January I think.

Friday Jan 2 versus Perth Glory - scheduled start time is 7:40; be interesting to see what sort of crowd it draws, because IIRC the Asain Cup match that Victory played earlier this year didn't draw a huge crowd which Victory was disappointed in, but they have still gone ahead with a 3 year deal to play at Simonds (just 1 game a year i think).

Also fwiw they would be better off pushing for a Geelong big bash team, make use of the lights, just put a drop in pitch in... The BBL only runs for about 3 or 4 weeks as well so wouldn't effect the footy at all.

Would be good to actually have a team for people to have genuine ties to as well, instead of picking red Melbourne or green Melbourne

I think they have pushed for that to happen in previous years - after the first or second season there was a push for the Renegades to relocate to Geelong because they weren't drawing huge crowds to Etihad, because Simonds is a smaller stadium and they might be able to take a new identity as a Geelong team rather then competing against the Melbourne Stars who had Warne, Hodge & other big name Vic players.

CA was against the idea of relocating them to Geelong and have said they would rather focus on having 2 Melbourne teams and trying to really drum up the competition between them. Crowds weren't too bad for the Renegades last year and Etihad was all but a sellout for the match against the Stars and that may just work against Geelong getting a team as relocation may have been more likely then an expansion to the Big Bash at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBL really? that comp is a joke don't know anyone who is even the slightest bit interested, and I have heaps of cricket loving mates. Myself included.
Yep can't get into the hit and giggle crap. The real cricket isn't that far away;thumbsu:

Correct me if I'm wrong,aren't the A-League sponsored by Hyundai ?
I'm guessing they wouldn't want a Ford sponsored team.

Don't know about that but they are a platinum partner at the Lions.
hyundai_centre-a.jpg

BBL really? that comp is a joke don't know anyone who is even the slightest bit interested, and I have heaps of cricket loving mates. Myself included.
I'm the same.... was just making a suggestion as to what other team could come to Geelong that could work

soccer would be awful to watch at skilled... adelaide utd games arent great to watch at adelaide oval, but at hindmarsh stadium the views are exceptional wherever you sit.

soccer would be awful to watch at skilled... adelaide utd games arent great to watch at adelaide oval, but at hindmarsh stadium the views are exceptional wherever you sit.
Skilled? Simonds... sorry, being pedantic! As far as AFL grounds go, Simonds would be one of the better grounds given its long and narrow shape. I've been to Hindmarsh Stadium and I agree that it's great for viewing Soccer. AO I'm not sure about for Soccer, but I'm pretty sure that at the very least Simonds would be better.

At Etihad the other night for the derby, they altered the seating and the effect was amazing. They'd do that at Geelong too- beautiful pitch as well. I reckon it could work there. Imagine the hoops in summer with the round ball. I'd like to see that.

It's not embarrassing at all. All you say is actually consistent.
Sounds to me that if pushed, you chose MV as your A League team, but with very little interest, but If Geelong entered the A League, you'd go for them, and your interest would increase.
Wonder how many would totally agree with you. MANY.

BTW, many people support MCFC because they hate that MV is coached by Muscat. And some just hate MV.
I just noticed the amount of teams you follow. How can you follow that many?

Skilled? Simonds... sorry, being pedantic! As far as AFL grounds go, Simonds would be one of the better grounds given its long and narrow shape. I've been to Hindmarsh Stadium and I agree that it's great for viewing Soccer. AO I'm not sure about for Soccer, but I'm pretty sure that at the very least Simonds would be better.

i usually just go with KP, i might revert back to that... safer, and sounds better.

adelaide oval is ok for soccer, but on the lower levels when the play is on the near wing, you wont see much below the players hips.

At Etihad the other night for the derby, they altered the seating and the effect was amazing. They'd do that at Geelong too- beautiful pitch as well. I reckon it could work there. Imagine the hoops in summer with the round ball. I'd like to see that.

nothing beats a purpose built soccer stadium for watching the game, though. how did the alter the seats? there still would be a huge amount of space between the actual pitch and where the seating starts surely...

the hoops with the round ball wouldnt really interest me that much, i follow AUFC.

football? pedantic;)

i usually just go with KP, i might revert back to that... safer, and sounds better.

adelaide oval is ok for soccer, but on the lower levels when the play is on the near wing, you wont see much below the players hips.

nothing beats a purpose built soccer stadium for watching the game, though. how did the alter the seats? there still would be a huge amount of space between the actual pitch and where the seating starts surely...

the hoops with the round ball wouldnt really interest me that much, i follow AUFC.
Come along to the next derby- MV v MCFC- at Etihad, srsly, the atmosphere of 45k exceeds easily the atmosphere of 80+k in AFL finals etc, and I am a LT AFL person.

They bring the seating in from both ground level ends and both ground level sides of the ground to give the impression of a rectangle stadium; it's just the 4 corners of the ground level that don't move.

This is the ticket seating for the matches:
57281s_a.gif

And this photo is from level 2 (?) looking down from one end of the ground and gives an idea how close the ground level seating is to the pitch once they reconfigure the seating:
BIFAU_Dec13_Etihad-631x356.jpg

I can't remember what the cost is for the reconfiguration, but it is worth it with the soccer, even is you do lose some seating capacity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back