An 'A League' team in Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

football? pedantic;)
The difference is that unlike barmy44 who made a furphy :p, I meant to say Soccer in order to save confusion, given that I had also mentioned (AFL) football in the same sentence. But if you want to get really pedantic, I'll elaborate on football and raise you an Association Football!;)

Come along to the next derby- MV v MCFC- at Etihad, srsly, the atmosphere of 45k exceeds easily the atmosphere of 80+k in AFL finals etc, and I am a LT AFL person.
Has Melbourne City been able to retain most of the old Heart supporters? Furthermore, have they managed to increase their supporter base as a result of the name change?

Has Melbourne City been able to retain most of the old Heart supporters? Furthermore, have they managed to increase their supporter base as a result of the name change?

I'd say the retained all the old supporters, all I know seemed really excited with the change. They picked up a bit of interest early with the new hope and Villa, but him gone and I think only 1 win means the crowds are starting to drop back off to Heart levels (the last couple of games anyway)
I don't think it helps there cause that Victory are up the pointy end either.

Imo they were always fighting an uphill battle coming in, like the bbl thing there is no point of difference except Victory were already established and very successful. Sydney did it right with the team being Western Sydney

That's just my take, VDubs probably would see it a different way

soccer would be awful to watch at skilled... adelaide utd games arent great to watch at adelaide oval, but at hindmarsh stadium the views are exceptional wherever you sit.
I went to the AFC game here earlier in the year, we had seats 2nd row from the fence and they of course have the extra fence built in meaning couldn't really see players from the waist down, sitting up a bit higher I imagine it would be great and I'll report back after the game here in early Jan.

Going to AAMI for the first time Friday night and apparently there isn't a bad seat there... Looking forward to seeing it.
Also while we are comparing grounds I saw Australia and Argentina at the G in 07 from the 2nd level and that view was great :D

I went to the AFC game here earlier in the year, we had seats 2nd row from the fence and they of course have the extra fence built in meaning couldn't really see players from the waist down, sitting up a bit higher I imagine it would be great and I'll report back after the game here in early Jan.

Going to AAMI for the first time Friday night and apparently there isn't a bad seat there... Looking forward to seeing it.
Also while we are comparing grounds I saw Australia and Argentina at the G in 07 from the 2nd level and that view was great :D

AAMI is a great place to watch futbol.

The difference is that unlike barmy44 who made a furphy :p, I meant to say Soccer in order to save confusion, given that I had also mentioned (AFL) football in the same sentence. But if you want to get really pedantic, I'll elaborate on football and raise you an Association Football!;)
I was only joking but you find me one person who walks around calling it Association football.

They bring the seating in from both ground level ends and both ground level sides of the ground to give the impression of a rectangle stadium; it's just the 4 corners of the ground level that don't move.

thanks for that buddy... that looks like a lot of effort to go, but i guess it isnt done all that often. that would definitely make the viewing a lot better, though — a rectangular pitch in the middle of a huge oval is not great.

i never call soccer anything other than soccer, never have... i think thats fine in australia. i play in the CSL which is the collegiate soccer league, and the 7-a-side 'adelaide comets twilight soccer comp' in the off-season. also the immanual indoor soccer comp year round.

its all soccer here as far as im concerned!

i was at that game at the oval as well, and was also second row. the restricted view there led to most of my friends and i watching from the walkway where the bars etc are, which was a better view (with some maneuvering) but not overly comfortable. had the same problem at the game against malaga earlier in the year, but stuck with the seats all game.

but adelaide oval is only a sometimes food for matches here... hindmarsh (or coopers stadium i guess, if Strangled Cat is still keeping an eye on me :)) is easily the better stadium for matches, just a third of the capacity.

I'd like to see a starting XI made up of the Geelong seniors. * it I'll do it myself.

4-2-3-1 formation
---------Hawkins----------
Motlop----Caddy-----SJ---
---Selwood---Duncan-----
Mackie--Lonergan--Taylor--Rivers
-----------Bartel--------------

i was at that game at the oval as well, and was also second row. the restricted view there led to most of my friends and i watching from the walkway where the bars etc are, which was a better view (with some maneuvering) but not overly comfortable. had the same problem at the game against malaga earlier in the year, but stuck with the seats all game.

but adelaide oval is only a sometimes food for matches here... hindmarsh (or coopers stadium i guess, if Strangled Cat is still keeping an eye on me :)) is easily the better stadium for matches, just a third of the capacity.
I meant the game earlier this year at KP :)

But it would be the same problem at any ground not rectangular

I meant the game earlier this year at KP :)

But it would be the same problem at any ground not rectangular

i assumed you were talking about the utd v victory game in rd 2... didnt even know there had been a mtach at KP this year :confused: which one was it?

i assumed you were talking about the utd v victory game in rd 2... didnt even know there had been a mtach at KP this year :confused: which one was it?
Some Asian champions league qualifier... can't even remember the name of the team we played...

I'd say the retained all the old supporters, all I know seemed really excited with the change. They picked up a bit of interest early with the new hope and Villa, but him gone and I think only 1 win means the crowds are starting to drop back off to Heart levels (the last couple of games anyway)
I don't think it helps there cause that Victory are up the pointy end either.

Imo they were always fighting an uphill battle coming in, like the bbl thing there is no point of difference except Victory were already established and very successful. Sydney did it right with the team being Western Sydney

That's just my take, VDubs probably would see it a different way
Agree totally.
But the Manchester City group is in for the long haul, MCFC will eventually succeed and winning would make a massive difference too
Victory is superb this year.
All the major capital city teams are on fire, and the lesser lights are dim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree totally.
But the Manchester City group is in for the long haul, MCFC will eventually succeed and winning would make a massive difference too
Victory is superb this year.
All the major capital city teams are on fire, and the lesser lights are dim.

good ol' australian soccer! man city spent a touch over 5 times more on aguero than on melbourne heart... they can definitely handle the long haul financially.

the a-league continues to get better though, its great to see. i think it is a terrific competition, and the new FFA cup was a great idea as well.

good ol' australian soccer! man city spent a touch over 5 times more on aguero than on melbourne heart... they can definitely handle the long haul financially.

the a-league continues to get better though, its great to see. i think it is a terrific competition, and the new FFA cup was a great idea as well.
The FFA cup hopefully only gets bigger and better... it's a bit harder I'd say for the lower teams but was brilliant to see a minnow IN bentleigh make the final 4. That's what it needs to really be embraced

The FFA cup hopefully only gets bigger and better... it's a bit harder I'd say for the lower teams but was brilliant to see a minnow IN bentleigh make the final 4. That's what it needs to really be embraced

totally... i was disappointed that minnow was bentleigh and not adelaide city, though.

yeh im sure the AFL would be really helpful with this one....

ps i hate...HATE..... wogball

Blicavs, Malekellis, Riccardi, Nankervis, Pollinelli, Zanoni, Ruskulic, Zychla, Di Rosa, Wojcinski, Grgic, Koulouritis.

Oh and the guy that pretty much saved the club. Costa.

You're a real winner aren't you.

Blicavs, Malekellis, Riccardi, Nankervis, Pollinelli, Zanoni, Ruskulic, Zychla, Di Rosa, Wojcinski, Grgic, Koulouritis.

Don't forget the guy and money who saved us from bankruptcy.....Alex Popescu

For what its worth, an A- League side has been considered by Geelong FC powerbrokers who wanted to fully utilise Simmonds Stadium in the off season. Cricket Australia politics killed our Big Bash bid (commercial interests $$$ came first for them and issues surrounding drop in pitches). With the A League bid you need a rectangular stadium as your base home ground to be considered. Cook and Costa were very interested for a time (Utilising Simmonds Stadium and tapping into 40k GFC membership to build the supporter base for the franchise).The then Melbourne Heart were also keen on a minimum 5 game presence for home games in Geelong as well. Lots of talk and speculation. At Simmonds you would only need an 8 -10k average to break even. Could be achievable down the track but need a ground that could be configured into a rectangular stadium to meet the A- League requirements. I would buy an extension on my GFC membership to include the A - League season. FYI Ballarat have a great set up and are head of Geelong on this front. Here is a picture of their ground development which is ongoing and is a fantastic set up... Time to wake up City of Greater Geelong!!!
http://transform.fairfaxregional.co...c2-a7ed-25569416904c.jpg/w1200_h678_fcrop.jpg

Thanks for that Catters4me.

I am a victory man, but a cats man first. If there was a team affiliated with the cats I'd probably have to switch my allegiances.

I wonder, if in the future A-league will relax their rules on ground being rectangular because that seems like a dumb reason to rule a bid out. Alternatively, Temporary Terraces could be errected behind the goals would make Simonds look and Feel, almost rectangular and then they might go for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back