Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

The game should happen - not because of "the show must go on" mentality - but because cricket meant so much to Phil Hughes.

What better celebration of his life than a test match on his current home ground.

A minutes applause before the start of the game.

Yea but it's about the players, I'm sure all of them are not right to go at this point in time, they just lost a brother.!

There is no right or wrong with this. It's an unprecedented situation.

As far as I am concerned, whatever is decided upon will be perfectly appropriate.

To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in cricket at the moment anyway.

"it's what Phil would have wanted"

well to go along with this silly cliche, if it was Michael Clarke who had just died, if it was Hughes who been keeping a bedside vigil, do you think Hughes would have really wanted the immediate test match to go ahead? I don't.

Too hard to tell, if the players don't want to play then fair enough, call it off.

RIP Hughes and Abbott my thoughts are with you.

Brilliant post deserves more than a like.
I guess I am sitting on the fence, but there are valid arguments for playing the test and there are valid arguments for not playing it.

So I really am happy to go with the flow and whatever is decided regarding upcoming games (not just the first test) is fine with me.

As I said, this is uncharted territory for the game in Australia and we have to trust those running the game to make the best possible decisions at a terrible time.

Decision definitely shouldnt be made anytime soon. Need to give the players a couple days. I think they should play. I think playing will help them take their mind off things, hopefully.

There is no right or wrong with this. It's an unprecedented situation.

As far as I am concerned, whatever is decided upon will be perfectly appropriate.

To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in cricket at the moment anyway.

Yes, I know how you feel. All week I'd been promising myself to head of to JB Hi-Fi after work and purchase the Mitchell Johnson DVD. After hearing the news of Phillip Hughes' passing, I couldn't bring myself to buy it, much less watch it.

These feelings will pass in time, but as someone whose number 1 pleasure in life is watching Test cricket, the very last thing I want to see right now is a game of cricket. Imagine how the players are feeling.

Everybody reacts differently. Nothing I do can help or hinder this situation and I've watched the Sri Lankan v England ODI. Felt very unreal at first though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the game is played, will probably be the highest rating game of all time. I'm sure nein have considered this and are pushing for it

Im not in the mood to hear frivolity and stupidity in the commentary box. I dont want to see emotions of players spill out on to the field that have not mourned properly.

Common sense needs to prevail. If the Test is abandoned it will always be remembered as the time to mourn of the sad passing, if it plays out it will be one of many 100s of tests and "just another game".

Either cancel it or reschedule it if possible. Give his family and the cricketers involved some time to grieve and to give him a fitting send off. That would be the most dignified way.

They have a week. Where do we draw the line? I'm sad as much as the next guy, but cancelling would be the last thing Phil would want. He would want to watch the game from heaven. He loved the game.

CA have an opportunity to make the game about awareness from brain injury, do a moving tribute. Even 'name' Hughes in the team as a farewell gesture as 12th man.
How can they concentrate on a ball 140km 100% time don't be so selfish let the boys grieve for their mate

I guess I am sitting on the fence, but there are valid arguments for playing the test and there are valid arguments for not playing it.

So I really am happy to go with the flow and whatever is decided regarding upcoming games (not just the first test) is fine with me.

As I said, this is uncharted territory for the game in Australia and we have to trust those running the game to make the best possible decisions at a terrible time.

There is no sitting on the fence, there are no sides nor right or wrongs in this situation. Whatever happens according to the Hughes family, his team mates and friends whatever they decide is the right decision in terms of future matches.

How can they concentrate on a ball 140km 100% time don't be so selfish let the boys grieve for their mate

I'm English and watched on in jealous awe of Mitchell's bowling which was brutal, skill full and incredibly entertaining yet fearsome last ashes. This freak incident has massive repercussions. I really feel for Abbott so much.

I've really got no opinion either way, I'd be happy for it to go an as a celebration, and I'd be happy for it to be cancelled.

But I don't think it could be feasibly postponed, the summers already pretty full as is.

The test must be played, as hard as that may be for some.
I tend to agree.

I think the best case scenario is the game is played as a tribute for Hughes. The courage shown by Hughes throughout his career facing the likes of the South African quicks can be replicated by his mates putting it all on the line for him, doing what he loved the most.

I understand the other side of the argument though. Really hard situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back