Mega Thread Draft Day Supermegaultrathread - It's finally here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to give me a run down of how we drafted?

I think we called out names of players who we want to play for us, when it was our turn;)

Seriously though, I'm unsure, I've just read the last 20 pages after getting home from work, at about page 12 it was all toasters in the bathtub type stuff, then towards the end most seemed to accept their grief and tryed to convince the rest of us that our players we picked were all sliders and will play 200 games for us.

So to answer your question, I have no f**king idea!!

Hey, just because i'm not sharing paiges sickly enthusiasm, doesn't mean i'm walking Eeyore to Mordor.

Why don't ya go chuck Laverde's name into that poll Keyser ya dickhead, or is he still unavailable at pick 11? ;)
Replace jarrod Pickett (who was never a chance to get to 11 as it turns out) with Jayden (Cale Morton) laverde in that poll and I reckon the numbers would be about the same

I admit that I was on the laverde train with you all the way and was disappoint that we didn't call out his name at the time but given he slid all the way to 20 suggests there is something that recruiters (not just ours) weren't happy about that didn't justify the risk of spending a high pick on. Whilst dugggan can be described as a safe pick and has plenty on here invoking the v word, the reason he's considered safe is that hes a very good chance to be a better than decent 200+ game player. He also looks to be an outstanding character so I'm not disappointed at all

And for the record I voted for dugggan in the poll;)

Haven't bothered reading all the preceding pages but I gather there will be plenty of positive comments and an equal amount of negative ones.

But I think WC supporters should be extremely happy with what transpired tonight. They have added some real quality ball users together and a kid with enormous flair which everyone has been crying out for. The recruiters get accused for being vanilla and yet when they pick Lamb they will be criticised. And for those wanting Laverde just ask yourself why a kid supposed to be top 5/6 slid all the way to where he did with several teams passing him over multiple times. I think (no know) the boys were happy with how it panned out

so why'd he slide?

Wasn't that excited when I first heard we chose Duggan but after watching his highlights and his interviews I am happy with the selection, has Sam Mitchell written all over him, can't believe he is still 17 wish I was that mature now at 29 let alone 17. Will be a future leader of the club

The claremont thing is all in good fun. Genuinely disappointed we didn't add any speed.
Knowing previous players from that club, add Claremont, Aa
Haven't bothered reading all the preceding pages but I gather there will be plenty of positive comments and an equal amount of negative ones.

But I think WC supporters should be extremely happy with what transpired tonight. They have added some real quality ball users together and a kid with enormous flair which everyone has been crying out for. The recruiters get accused for being vanilla and yet when they pick Lamb they will be criticised. And for those wanting Laverde just ask yourself why a kid supposed to be top 5/6 slid all the way to where he did with several teams passing him over multiple times. I think (no know) the boys were happy with how it panned out
I for one am extremely happy.
Great work!

Replace jarrod Pickett (who was never a chance to get to 11 as it turns out) with Jayden (Cale Morton) laverde in that poll and I reckon the numbers would be about the same

I admit that I was on the laverde train with you all the way and was disappoint that we didn't call out his name at the time but given he slid all the way to 20 suggests there is something that recruiters (not just ours) weren't happy about that didn't justify the risk of spending a high pick on. Whilst dugggan can be described as a safe pick and has plenty on here invoking the v word, the reason he's considered safe is that hes a very good chance to be a better than decent 200+ game player. He also looks to be an outstanding character so I'm not disappointed at all

And for the record I voted for dugggan in the poll;)

Perhaps... or maybe he is safe because he has a small chance of being a dud and a small chance of being elite.. he is more than likely to be a good player (and probably one that could play 200 games).

In saying that, Braun played 200 games for us.. and so did Cousins and Kerr. I know which 200 gamer I'd prefer.

i love how many feel we did real well in the draft and here we are having a meltdown

You might be having a breakdown but not from where I sit. Overall, some room for improvement but we nailed this draft. It is not always going to show as success but the team did as good a job as I would hope for.

Nope, you're wrong BOND 007, most I took to be negative. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps... or maybe he is safe because he has a small chance of being a dud and a small chance of being elite.. he is more than likely to be a good player (and probably one that could play 200 games).

In saying that, Braun played 200 games for us.. and so did Cousins and Kerr. I know which 200 gamer I'd prefer.
So which of those players available at pick 11 today do you think might turn out to be a cousins or Kerr?

Hi all.

Watched the draft but posted on here late, so I'm sure it's all been said......

Duggan... Played it safe!!! But the kid is young and almost has a year worth of development behind the likes of Petracca, etc.
Would have loved Cockatoo... But we can't blame the club on that one now!

Tom Lamb..... Huge tick for me!!! We have taken a gamble on a guy at one stage predicted as a top 10!!!! Hats off to recruiters imo!

Neilson - talk as a second rounder - solid choice

Cavka - don't know a lot about him, but appears a bargain at 66???

Plus - Waterman

I truely believe a good draft...... Other than missing cockatoo (which maybe meant Blakely as our second round???) im really happy

He is very bottom age so the hope is he has quite a bit of improvement left over some top age guys. I think he could be a Daniel Hannebery type player.

East Perth are going to go gang-busters next year.

Might even find Claremont to be really struggling even in the reserves. No chance in colts but EP Eagles looking good in 1st and Reserves.

So which of those players available at pick 11 today do you think might turn out to be a cousins or Kerr?

I would have preferred Laverde or Weller (although there was obviously something up with Laverde that caused him to drop that far down).

I'm being harsh on Duggan, he should be a good and hopefully very good player for us. What's frustrating me is that I don't think he's what we need (speed, x-factor, big bodied mid, etc) and Cockatoo was literally snatched one pick away who I think will be close to the best player from the draft. I know we apparently addressed that with Lamb but Lamb could be our next Darling or our next Notte (in terms of being a successful pick).

How do you feel about it?
I like to look at a holistic approach. I like Duggan, great execution and decision making. Would have loved Ahern to be there, most know that I think. Some say we took a cautious approach to the first pick, that may be so.
Then at 32 we took the punt. Could have been anyone here, as far as I am concerned, but the fact we took a bit of a gamble is great.
Nelson, I know a few blokes who love the kid. Puts his head over the ball, so he's won me over automatically. ;)
Cavka, really surprised he was still there and really happy we took him. The only other bigger surprise in the draft, for me, was Boekhorst going at 19, was stunned.
Waterman, nice little bonus I reckon.
What this draft tells me is the recruiters and coaches are happy with Waterman, so they didn't need another in and under mid, so addressed other needs, all midfield. All in all I am pretty happy with what they did and how they went about it.

Interested in the part about quality ball users. Duggan is obviously this, but I was under the impression Lamb can really burn it whilst Nelson and Cavka are just OK/adequate users. Clearly this isn't in line with the WC team's views?

I doubt I'll get a straight answer, but did Geelong pip us at 10?

Not sure of others but I look at a portfolio and think you can tell the boys from me at least that they nailed it. Well done.

Ok so I was pretty annoyed before at our recruiters for picking the players that they did, I'm still not happy with who we picked, but no point getting angry over it. Welcome to our new draftees, let's hope you all make it as AFL Footballers with us!

I would have preferred Laverde or Weller (although there was obviously something up with Laverde that caused him to drop that far down).

I'm being harsh on Duggan, he should be a good and hopefully very good player for us. What's frustrating me is that I don't think he's what we need (speed, x-factor, big bodied mid, etc) and Cockatoo was literally snatched one pick away who I think will be close to the best player from the draft. I know we apparently addressed that with Lamb but Lamb could be our next Darling or our next Notte (in terms of being a successful pick).
Fair points but I believe duggans disposal by foot will compensate his lack of pace so I'm happy with us picking him

Speed or the lack thereof was the one area of our midfield that we didn't specifically address today but I've been trying to think of an instance where Simpson has expressed a concern at our lack of pace - he's banged on about bigger bodies and the need to go harder for longer along with our disposal. Our selections today address those concerns of his

I'd be very surprised if Simpson wasn't the one pushing hardest for dugggan

Primarily the ability to deliver a ball

Interesting. This was nagging at me as well, lots of posters here talking about speed & x-factor but what really kept us out of finals this year was kicking accuracy (missed goals & turnovers combined). If our team's disposals were even just 5% better I think we'd have made it to at least 2 finals.

To be fair, size and speed give players more time to kick straight, but that only works if the player actually can kick straight in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back