Who's afraid of Rupert Murdoch? The end of an era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
When Gina Rinehart bought into Fairfax with the desire for editorial influence, she was no doubt thinking of replicating the effect the media had on the Labor Government during the Mining tax debate. But in the Victorian election both Murdoch's Herald Sun and Rinehart's The Age editorialised for the Liberals and the Coalition still lost easily.

If you ever bother to check Murdoch's Twitter feed you will find that he isn't a political genius, but just an old man with strong views that are often not very well articulated. Here's his last 5 tweets, where he uses the sort of debating tactics his papers are accused of doing, but which they wouldn't normally make so obvious (and he also seems to mistake the highly-controlled oil market as a free market):
Oil price conspiracy theorists nuts. Never heard of thing called "The market" ? Likewise page3 critics not looking at changes.
Moses film attacked on Twitter for all white cast. Since when are Egyptians not white? All I know are.
Everybody-attacks last tweet. Of course Egyptians are Middle Eastern, but far from black. They treated blacks as slaves.
Okay, there are many shades of color. Nothing racist about that, so calm down!
Change the subject. What chance more decent jobs as Europe, Japan, Russia, India, China all start to head south? Dangerous time.

In the last Federal election and State election Murdoch papers haven't bothered to pretend to be balanced, and the result was drops in circulation (as Fairfax had too), a one-term Vic Coalition govt, and Abbott's popularity beginning low and seemingly unable to recover despite the cheerleading. More importantly, there has been a huge loss in credibility for the News Corp voice.

The dropping of the pretence of balance is most likely because News Corp are getting desperate. Advertising dollars are diversifying and Murdoch's empire is getting far less revenue. Fox News in America is the model they appear to be trying to create here, but Australia is too small a market (and generally a better educated market) for it to be a money-spinner big enough to effect politics. Also, compulsory voting means hard-line views don't win out. What's more, Fox News helped legitimise the Tea Party politics that have divided the Republicans in the US and made a Presidential win less likely. A loss in 2016 to Hillary Clinton is expected.

Rinehart has tried and failed to sell a third of her Fairfax shares, and now there are rumours of Fairfax buying Channel 10. That is seen as more about the survival of the two, rather than the expansion of influence that was suggested by Bolt as the reason Rinehart first bought in to Fairfax. Speaking of which, a Fairfax merger would give Bolt an excuse to leave Channel 10 without ratings being brought into it.

Murdoch is also under attack from News Corp shareholders. Not for the first time, but he came close to being effected (47.4% of votes) and has a year to try and shore up support, like from the Saudi Prince, Alwaleed bin Talal. Rupert will be 84 in March.

He's had an outstanding run, but politics again seem to be turning away from his views (in his tweets you'll see he criticises David Cameron in the UK, perhaps due to Climate Change or immigration, or simply because of BSkyB). I think Murdoch's time is ending. And by way of homage (I originally typed "hammage' - probably more appropriate) I will end this on a partisan note:
  • Hopefully this will stop 'the left' talking about Murdoch, rather than the real reasons people don't agree with them.

Last edited:

I wouldn't really call Australia too educated for Fox News style news to work. I mean the Fox News style reporting did wort in 2012 and 2013 in Australia. I mean News Corp completely dominated the political debate in Australia during that period and the general public let them do it.

I wouldn't really call Australia too educated for Fox News style news to work. I mean the Fox News style reporting did wort in 2012 and 2013 in Australia. I mean News Corp completely dominated the political debate in Australia during that period and the general public let them do it.
What do you mean?

Lol what on earth do you mean, disagree?
It isn't famous. It's just a line that is wheeled out by hacks like you, to try and justify the last 6 years.
"Vote this mob out"

He ran a very strong campaign to get the coalition in, and there hasn't been anything as obvious or extreme in this country before.

So when you say he "famously endorsed Rudd" I said "disagree" rather than "bullshit".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ABC has 100 times the bias of Murdoch, who employs many notable left wing columnists (unlike our national broadcaster).

So says you. Proper studies though say otherwise. Of course you do not believe facts and figures as you do not believe in climate change either despite their being scientific consensus on the issue.

Rinehart has tried and failed to sell a third of her Fairfax shares, and now there are rumours of Fairfax buying Channel 10. That is seen as more about the survival of the two, rather than the expansion of influence that was suggested by Bolt as the reason Rinehart first bought in to Fairfax. Speaking of which, a Fairfax merger would give Bolt an excuse to leave Channel 10 without ratings being brought into it.

Rinehart has done her dough on that one big time.

Like every other business decision she has made, aside from having Rio Tinto run hope downs for her.

The ABC has 100 times the bias of Murdoch, who employs many notable left wing columnists (unlike our national broadcaster).
There is already a thread called News Limited v ABC for your repetitive polemic on that subject. Please take it there to see whether Karl Stefanovic would buy what you are selling.

This thread is about the end of Murdoch's hitherto widespread influence. You could probably say it peaked before the phone-hacking scandal and is now rapidly falling away (Pay TV doesn't have the same 'front page' influence of a local newspaper).

Rinehart has done her dough on that one big time.

Like every other business decision she has made, aside from having Rio Tinto run hope downs for her.

More pain for her around the corner

Its a horrible thing when facts get in the way of reality. You end up having to argue the sky is green.
Says the person who has told us more than once that Gillard added $1000 to everyone's power bill.

You're employed by BigFooty to provide comic interludes, aren't you?

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back