Worst 250 game player

Remove this Banner Ad

If they gave Anzac Medals to every player who was BOG vs Collingwood at the MCG, then Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge would both have four of them. It's a joke the way people list these Anzac Medals among a player's honours and achievements. It's just another BOG for a home and away game.

Two of Hird's Anzac Medals were in games against shithouse Collingwood teams.
In 2000, Collingwood finished 15th (of 16) and won just 7 of their 22 games
In 2004, Collingwood finished 13th (of 16) and won just 8 of their 22 games

What a hero! :rolleyes:

In the 20 years the Pies and Bombers have clashed on Anzac Day, both teams have finished in the top 8 on just 4 occasions. 3 of those 4 seasons, Essendon just barely scraped into the top 8. In 16 of 20 games, at least one of the teams was a bottom 8 side. Hardly a "clash of the titans".

1st Coll 20-2, 167.7%
8th Ess 11-10-1, 100.0%

4th Coll 15-7, 122.3%
8th Ess 10-11-1, 97.8%

2nd Coll 15-7, 121.6%
8th Ess 13-9, 111.7%

4th Coll 13-9, 109.7%
5th Ess 12-9-1, 105.0%

Anzac day is pure hype. I've been to quite a few and I'm often incredulous at how the media pump it up as a "great game". Most of the time, I come away from those games thinking how ordinary the standard of footy was. People think a big noisy crowd somehow elevates the on-field action. LOL.

It was fairly obvious my post was a piss take, How could Simon black win an the ANZAC medal?

You posting this long detailed post is pretty funny.

It was fairly obvious my post was a piss take, How could Simon black win an the ANZAC medal?

You posting this long detailed post is pretty funny.
To be honest, that post (and the research) was more for my benefit than yours. I had fun. :thumbsu:

I'd noticed that Hirdy included his 3 Anzac medals amongst his life achievements on his supreme court writ vs the AFL

More and more in recent years, these flipping Anzac medals are starting to appear on the players' list of individual honours.

It's gotta stop. It's akin to Collingwood saying they've won 15 premierships and 10 Peter Maccallum Cups

I didn't like Guerra, particularly early in his career, but he was a very effective player. Paul Broderick is the one that jumped off that list at me.

I don't think Guerra looks out of place at 3rd myself, but it's all just personal opinion. I rate Broderick higher than you do for example. I remember being bullish on Jamie Elliott, who was also part of the Jeff Hogg exchange, but it was Broderick who impressed while Elliott went on to do nothing. Broderick played a big role in the resurgent Tigers midfield the year they made finals in 95' - I reckon there were a lot of underrated players in that Tigers side i.e. Rogers, Kelleway, Turner, Tape. He tapered off towards the end of his career, so I guess he's downgraded for that reason, but there was a solid few years there in the middle.

A quick glance at his afl tables page: 263 games spread across 3 clubs, never averaged more than ~15 touches, career best of 6 brownlow votes in a season an outlier, seems to be exactly the type of run of the mill player with longevity Peckett was but just less fresh in the mind. Toohey's just an example, there's a bunch of blokes on that list most here wouldn't have seen play.

Watched a bit of Toohey when he was with the Swans and IMO you're way off comparing his ilk to Peckett. Toohey was a strong marking, tough as nails defender who was one of the keys to the Swans being a force in 86-87; arguably one of the best in his position at that time.

I'm pretty sure these guys never won a club B&F, were All Australians, and for those who played most of their footy before 1991 didnt play state footy. But I am happy to be corrected.
Corrections in red.

John Blakey
Jude Bolton
Marcus Ashcroft
Russell Greene - MVP 1984; Best and fairest 1984; captained Victoria 1985; All Australian 1985
Peter Everitt - Best and fairest 2004; All Australian 1997, 2005
Peter Riccardi - Best and fairest 1998
Richard Osborne - finished runner up in Fitzroy's B&F, kicked 574 goals and captained the club. He was a GUN.
Nathan Eagleton
Mark Bickley - club captain
Robert Murphy - All Australian 2011
Adem Yze - Best and fairest 2001; All Australian 2002 (eq.3rd in the 2002 Brownlow)
Drew Petrie - All Australian 2011
Heath Scotland
Don McKenzie - Best and fairest 1966; represented Victoria; club captain
Gary Colling - club captain
Daniel Giansiracusa
James McDonald - Best and fairest 2006, 2007; All Australian 2007; club captain
Bernard Toohey - played for Victoria in 1987 and was named an All Australian
Paul Broderick - Best and fairest 1996
Matthew Clarke - Best and fairest 1997
Steven Febey
Saverio Rocca - Best and fairest 1995, kicked 748 goals
Leon Cameron - Best and fairest 1993
Kevin Neale - Best and fairest 1973; represented Victoria; captained ACT
Brad Green - Best and fairest 2010
Bruce Nankervis - Best and fairest 1973, 1974; represented Victoria; club captain
Scott Camporeale - Best and fairest 2000; All Australian 2000
Daniel Chick - Best and fairest 2000
Justin Peckett
Matthew Lappin - All Australian 2004
Chris Newman - club captain

I can't believe this. Are people seriously suggesting someone who reaches 250 games isn't really all that good?

No. Suggesting that they aren't all at the same level of skills. People are not identical therefore there technically has to be a worst, not that the player is s**t altogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So winning a medal in a big game isn't a great feat because it's not as important as war.

I ******* hate context.

A big crowd doesn't equal a big game. One of the teams has generally been s**t ever since it started and sometimes both of them have been. Over the past 20 years, generally when Essendon has been truly strong, Collingwood has been rubbish and vice versa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back