Andrews Government preparing for backflips

Remove this Banner Ad

Standard practice sadly...Look at the Federal ALPs spending with the regional development Australia fund...Expert committee says no, but if it was a marginal seat, it got the go ahead anyway. (1/4 of projects and 48% of money went against the committee's call, all in marginal seats).

One quarter is agood start, hopefully the electorate are improving re these things

I was at least holding out hope they would fix the level crossings though, which they won't.

Napthine would never have built the line to the airport, but the EW link was a go ahead.

I'm still glad we aren't building that, 18 billion down the gurgler.

It's good that we have people like Maggie5 on board to monitor election promises.

Repudiating EastWest for no good reason was one of the most scandalously irresponsible actions have ever seen a political party take in an election campaign.

Have they released the contract they're tearing up yet? If not why not?
Yes. And no. It was scandalously irresponsible of the Liberals to sign a contract days before going in to caretaker mode and to write billions of compensation into the contract given the polls were indicating they were getting thrown out. They basically ****ed Victorians over. It's like getting a terminally ill patient to sign a new will giving all their money to one child 5 minutes before they die.

Didn't they have a mandate from the 2010 election?
No. They never announced East-West link prior to the 2010 Election. To have a mandate, or to claim to have a mandate, the people must have been given a choice to vote on your policy, or even be aware of its existence.

The main problem with Victoria, is its full of Victorians. As someone who's GST taxes props the joint up I wonder if there's a complete functioning brain in the whole state :)
Well, given Victoria only gets 13% of the national infrastructure budget, perhaps you bloodsucking leeches over there can pay the $3 billion we require for the rail link??

Don't be silly.

Modelling suggests it would not fix congestion problems and the cost benefit could not justify 18 billion.

According to the business case they're not releasing even though they promised to do it immediately?

Maybe the business case is a lot more positive than they thought...

I think they will start on the level crossings, but will wait and see if there is a change in government. It won't be broken, so much as severely delayed. Will Andrews still be premier though
Happy to stand corrected, but I recall somewhere in the campaign hearing that it was an 8 year plan to remove 50 crossings and that the large majority would be removed in the second term, not the first. Therefore, how many are removed in this term will be interesting to see.

Yes. And no. It was scandalously irresponsible of the Liberals to sign a contract days before going in to caretaker mode and to write billions of compensation into the contract given the polls were indicating they were getting thrown out. They basically stuffed Victorians over. It's like getting a terminally ill patient to sign a new will giving all their money to one child 5 minutes before they die.

I know it's an impossible dream, but I'd really love for the big/long term projects to be worked out by a bipartisan committee.

Desal project, now this, both with 'poison pills' to protect the private companies, and god knows what this government will leave us committed to....As I've said many times before, a pox on both their houses.

I know it's an impossible dream, but I'd really love for the big/long term projects to be worked out by a bipartisan committee.

Desal project, now this, both with 'poison pills' to protect the private companies, and god knows what this government will leave us committed to....As I've said many times before, a pox on both their houses.
Totally agree. Governments govern for the short-term and incoming Governments never continue the policies of their predecessors even if they are good ones.

I believe that's exactly the purpose of the new Infrastructure Victoria; to plan projects for Victoria independent of the Government. How it actually works is the big question though.

Happy to stand corrected, but I recall somewhere in the campaign hearing that it was an 8 year plan to remove 50 crossings and that the large majority would be removed in the second term, not the first. Therefore, how many are removed in this term will be interesting to see.
They have hit up the ones which were proposed first
not prioritised by order

Reservoir High St Junction
St Albans (already assessed as part of regional rail redevelopment)
SEFWAY at Toorak Road
Two of the bad one in your neck of the woods
Clayton Centre Road
Burnley
Burke Road at the Freeway

They have hit up the ones which were proposed first
not prioritised by order

Reservoir High St Junction
St Albans (already assessed as part of regional rail redevelopment)
SEFWAY at Toorak Road
Two of the bad one in your neck of the woods
Clayton Centre Road
Burnley
Burke Road at the Freeway

Really think a lot of them would be better done as a job lot...

Dig up the train lines and put them in a trench 3meters(?) down, with flat bridges over them...do 5-6 of these together and it'd probably be cheaper than 5 individual fixes and long term, they'd all need to be done anyway.

Dandenong line from Caulfield through to Oakleigh
Upfield line...Well, really most if it from royal park upto bell st.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really think a lot of them would be better done as a job lot...

Dig up the train lines and put them in a trench 3meters(?) down, with flat bridges over them...do 5-6 of these together and it'd probably be cheaper than 5 individual fixes and long term, they'd all need to be done anyway.

Dandenong line from Caulfield through to Oakleigh
Upfield line...Well, really most if it from royal park upto bell st.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples.
Think that this was earmarked as the last line to get done :confused:. Though the Jewell station one was pretty likely to get done sooner though due to its proximity.

Agree about the rest with the two on the Frankston line already assessed as part of the Liberals rail project. Think that the same shall happen for the Dandenong line as a whole. What is noticeable is apart from the mentioned one there are no real other bad ones other than Murrumbeena which would be getting avoided due to the theory that fixing the other two might move a lot of the traffic off that road.

Think that this was earmarked as the last line to get done :confused:. Though the Jewell station one was pretty likely to get done sooner though due to its proximity.

I imagine Bell St is a priority, but the rest not so much...Then again, Brunswick is a marginal seat (ALP/Green), so the rest could get a push along.

Agree about the rest with the two on the Frankston line already assessed as part of the Liberals rail project. Think that the same shall happen for the Dandenong line as a whole. What is noticeable is apart from the mentioned one there are no real other bad ones other than Murrumbeena which would be getting avoided due to the theory that fixing the other two might move a lot of the traffic off that road.

I used to live in Murrumbeena, walking up to the train along Murrumbeena rd, I'd usually be faster than the traffic.

Sinking Carnegie, Murrumbeena and (forget the next one..) and you've got Caulfield to Oakleigh all sorted (and without god-awful bridges like the one at Oakleigh).

Frankston...Well, you need Nth road fixed ASAP, but again, go hard or go home I say.

Hell, do 1 line/year. Sorry, but this year there will be major disruption/bus replacement, but afterwards it'll be *much* better.

Do you already think Andrews is a lame duck?
I thought he was a lame duck pre-election.

I didn't vote labor and believe that whilst Napthine may be better than Andrews, labor will likely be better than the libs. My hope is that they do eventually deal with the level crossings, don't backflip on the the tunnel road, and fix the damage done with the TAFEs.

I couldn't stomach the dodgy cronyism re the funding of private colledges and gutting of tafe and trade funding

No, I think they are seriously weighing up a backflip.

Like most pollies..when in opposition it's all about how the government should be more open, but when in charge, that suddenly changes :(

I imagine Bell St is a priority, but the rest not so much...Then again, Brunswick is a marginal seat (ALP/Green), so the rest could get a push along.

I used to live in Murrumbeena, walking up to the train along Murrumbeena rd, I'd usually be faster than the traffic.

Sinking Carnegie, Murrumbeena and (forget the next one..) and you've got Caulfield to Oakleigh all sorted (and without god-awful bridges like the one at Oakleigh).

Frankston...Well, you need Nth road fixed ASAP, but again, go hard or go home I say.

Hell, do 1 line/year. Sorry, but this year there will be major disruption/bus replacement, but afterwards it'll be *much* better.
Yeah this the one I forgot earlier. Will be booted bloody quickly.

Authorities make aver quick job of level crossings these days. It will be even better with economies of scsle

Im told the lack of crossings will allow more trains to run (as well as cars) but this cannot be done to its full extent without upgrading the capacity of the city loops

There's actually four crossings, not three. Grange Road Carnegie, Koornang Road Carneige, Murrumbeena Road and Poath Road Hugesdale.

I'm just not sure removing the crossings will easy congestion at all. It will more likely just relocate the congestion to Dandenong Road. It can already take 15 minutes just to get from Poath Road to Koornang Road in peak hour (two stations).

Not quite sure you could sell a year of major disruptions to train travellers when the crossing removals will make absolutely no difference to them whatsoever.

Not quite sure you could sell a year of major disruptions to train travellers when the crossing removals will make absolutely no difference to them whatsoever.

I'd add in upgrades of signaling, etc so that more trains could be run afterwards.
(yes, I know this would also need work at the CBD end)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back