Unpopular tennis-related opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Do not understand the fascination for Madison Keys. It seems that if you're a hard-hitting male tennis player you'll be inundated with criticisms along the lines of, "You need to add more to your game, you can't just hit it hard," whereas if you're a hard-hitting female tennis player you're heralded as the next superstar. Yes, hard hitting can get you further in the women's game (especially if you hit it as hard as Keys does) but you still need other strings to your bow - at minimum you need some semblance of consistency. When I watch Keys I see an extremely raw ball-smasher who is far from a certainty to make the next step up from tough opponent to genuine contender. She's a very average mover, her defensive game is sub-par, she's a borderline incompetent volleyer and she has little consistency on the serve. Despite the hard-hitting nature of her service games she still faces quite a lot of break points and she still struggles to hold serve at times. Her shots need to be dialled in and it doesn't happen often enough. She's still extremely young and I'm not saying she won't get there, but it's not a foregone conclusion as many make out for mine.

If they can do it at the darts events why not tennis. Though have a feeling they may have tried this once before during exhibition matches.

i dont know if its been tried. i know in golf there's a party hole par 3 in arizona from memory. however, on backswing and preparation and stroke its quiet.

but you pose a very good question. perhaps some of the bigger tennis fan posters here can answer

Do not understand the fascination for Madison Keys. It seems that if you're a hard-hitting male tennis player you'll be inundated with criticisms along the lines of, "You need to add more to your game, you can't just hit it hard," whereas if you're a hard-hitting female tennis player you're heralded as the next superstar. Yes, hard hitting can get you further in the women's game (especially if you hit it as hard as Keys does) but you still need other strings to your bow - at minimum you need some semblance of consistency. When I watch Keys I see an extremely raw ball-smasher who is far from a certainty to make the next step up from tough opponent to genuine contender. She's a very average mover, her defensive game is sub-par, she's a borderline incompetent volleyer and she has little consistency on the serve. Despite the hard-hitting nature of her service games she still faces quite a lot of break points and she still struggles to hold serve at times. Her shots need to be dialled in and it doesn't happen often enough. She's still extremely young and I'm not saying she won't get there, but it's not a foregone conclusion as many make out for mine.
She absolutely smashed Casey off the court yesterday. There was seemingly nothing Casey could do to stop the onslaught.

i dont know if its been tried. i know in golf there's a party hole par 3 in arizona from memory. however, on backswing and preparation and stroke its quiet.

but you pose a very good question. perhaps some of the bigger tennis fan posters here can answer

It has been done as I just read an article on it. Last year's U.S Open if you played on Arthur Ashe stadium. Serena walked on to Katy Perry's Roar.

She absolutely smashed Casey off the court yesterday. There was seemingly nothing Casey could do to stop the onslaught.
But Casey is at that level of "honest competitor" as well - I'm talking about Keys taking the next step and becoming the player that consistently rivals the top ten and battles for grand slam titles. Casey is a nice counter-puncher but doesn't really have the ability to compete with the types of players that can hit her off the court most of the time. As you saw in the first set, when Keys doesn't have the range on her power shots going, she has absolutely no backup plan and nothing to fall back on. It happens too often for mine.

Exactly, and that's why Madison Keys is always a dangerous opponent to come up against.

She can be dangerous, but she hasn't got the rounded game to be a consistent threat.

That's what the previous poster was alluding to. She's shown she can occasionally blast a decent player off the court, but there's a long long way to go before she warrants the hype that surrounds her.

But Casey is at that level of "honest competitor" as well - I'm talking about Keys taking the next step and becoming the player that consistently rivals the top ten and battles for grand slam titles. Casey is a nice counter-puncher but doesn't really have the ability to compete with the types of players that can hit her off the court most of the time. As you saw in the first set, when Keys doesn't have the range on her power shots going, she has absolutely no backup plan and nothing to fall back on. It happens too often for mine.

I'm on the fence with Maddison. I see some potential...but then I saw potential with Sabine Lisiki winning Slams too. Not sure what she has that Sabine doesn't have. Both are flaky shot makers. That said if anyone can reign it in, it is Lindsay Davenport who is her coach now. I see more potential in Pilskova and bouchard. Just think they have the game to contend consistently. I rate Madison like sabine a very good shot at Wimbledon though. Suits her game.

There is a reason why Casey hasn't been a seed before this year, she is an honest solid player but not much else. Thats her level though. Good players thrash her. She doesn't have a lot of weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on the fence with Maddison. I see some potential...but then I saw potential with Sabine Lisiki winning Slams too. Not sure what she has that Sabine doesn't have. Both are flaky shot makers. That said if anyone can reign it in, it is Lindsay Davenport who is her coach now. I see more potential in Pilskova and bouchard. Just think they have the game to contend consistently. I rate Madison like sabine a very good shot at Wimbledon though. Suits her game.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. My objection is more with the common opinion that she's a sure thing (case in point: Rennae Stubbs referring to her as, "Certainly a future top-ten player," the other day); not so much with the fact that she has potential.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. My objection is more with the common opinion that she's a sure thing (case in point: Rennae Stubbs referring to her as, "Certainly a future top-ten player," the other day); not so much with the fact that she has potential.

Renee Stubbs also thinks Casey Delaqua has a 'world class backhand'. Needless to say I don't take much notice. I see Madison as a top 20 player, but I'm not sure how much higher. Ball bashers (which lets be honest she is) struggle to be consistent for a month let alone a year. I see her in the 10-20 range with the odd time in the top 10, that is purely a 'gut feeling'.

They did it with the T20 cricket and it just added to the cringe-worthiness of it all.

started in ODI i believe. every player chose a song. steve waugh chose better man (pearl jam) then he was informed as to the songs meaning. he chose another one.

Shes American and wear nike - of course she is going to be frothed over. American tennis has not much else going for it apart from the aging Serena, who was taught by her eccentric father. The USTA have their heads stuck so far up their own arse they cant see how ineffective their coaching programs and system is.

Shes American and wear nike - of course she is going to be frothed over. American tennis has not much else going for it apart from the aging Serena, who was taught by her eccentric father. The USTA have their heads stuck so far up their own arse they cant see how ineffective their coaching programs and system is.

It's better than our system at least! We really need to be copying the Europeans a bit. America might have issues but they have more players in the 3rd round than we do!

She can be dangerous, but she hasn't got the rounded game to be a consistent threat.

That's what the previous poster was alluding to. She's shown she can occasionally blast a decent player off the court, but there's a long long way to go before she warrants the hype that surrounds her.
Absolutely, she's not close to the complete player yet. But when she is on, she can belt just about anyone off the court which makes her a dangerous opponent. If she can find more consistency and pick her shots better, she could really be something.
There is a reason why Casey hasn't been a seed before this year, she is an honest solid player but not much else. Thats her level though. Good players thrash her. She doesn't have a lot of weapons.
She's had a shocking run with injuries, plus the pregnancy and birth of Blake. She's better than her record suggests.

Her backhand is a weapon. She has a very very good backhand.

I'm a big fan.

She's had a shocking run with injuries, plus the pregnancy and birth of Blake. She's better than her record suggests.

Her backhand is a weapon. She has a very very good backhand.

I'm a big fan.

She has an above average backhand there would be AT LEAST 10 girls with better backhands, all the top 10 pretty much do and thats the start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back