Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, has Saad been elevated? He's not eligible to play until he is, and also I expect that his fitness will have taken a hit.
Why would they announce an elevation 3 months before the season begins? Also he has been running PBs so no, not really.

Why would they announce an elevation 3 months before the season begins? Also he has been running PBs so no, not really.

You're right enough, I didn't realise that he'd actually done a HUGE amount of fitness work in the run up to the draft.

Still, I think it might be a little unfair on Eli if he is tracking good through preseason, and Saad jumps over him in the order. Also we can't elevate Saad week 1 unless someone else is injured and unable to play through (I think) week 5. That said, someone probably will get hurt.

You're right enough, I didn't realise that he'd actually done a HUGE amount of fitness work in the run up to the draft.

Still, I think it might be a little unfair on Eli if he is tracking good through preseason, and Saad jumps over him in the order.
Cue...

iZvn9.jpg

Still, I think it might be a little unfair on Eli if he is tracking good through preseason, and Saad jumps over him in the order. Also we can't elevate Saad week 1 unless someone else is injured and unable to play through (I think) week 5. That said, someone probably will get hurt.
Siposs is pretty much certain to be on the LTI list now until round 10 so Saad or Schneids will come in I believe round 1.

Saad surely
No one knows. I personally would prefer Saad just because a) younger and needs the games and b) i plain like him, but Schneider when fit is a really good player and adds a lot of structure and experience to the side.

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain. I was wondering if you guys think Jarryn Geary would be a good selection for my DreamTeam? What role will he play this year?

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain. I was wondering if you guys think Jarryn Geary would be a good selection for my DreamTeam? What role will he play this year?

We don't 100% know his role yet, it might be as a tagger, but more likely back pocket.

Geary is my favourite Saint now Lenny has retired. But he's the sort where if you were playing a real game you'd want him on your side, but for fantasy footy he doesn't touch the ball enough. Webster might be underpriced, maybe even Newnes if he's playing more midfield. But I'm not planning on selecting any Saints defenders.

F5 or F6 for you? ;)

I think you'd get better value from Newnes or Fisher in your backline. Newnes is slightly more expensive in terms of $/point average but you are likely to score a higher score every week.

I have created a NAB AFL Fantasy league if you are interested invite code is A2FSM7VZ. All comers welcome.

We don't 100% know his role yet, it might be as a tagger, but more likely back pocket.

Geary is my favourite Saint now Lenny has retired. But he's the sort where if you were playing a real game you'd want him on your side, but for fantasy footy he doesn't touch the ball enough. Webster might be underpriced, maybe even Newnes if he's playing more midfield. But I'm not planning on selecting any Saints defenders.
Hey buddy, thanks. I have Newnes. I will watch his both of there NAB cup. What role is Webster most likely to play mate? I might be interested in him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one knows. I personally would prefer Saad just because a) younger and needs the games and b) i plain like him, but Schneider when fit is a really good player and adds a lot of structure and experience to the side.

This is an interesting question. If you want the best player on the park then Schneider hands down. Can play forward and can impact the middle when rotating through. If you want the most advanced young player then Saad is your man. But if you want to discover talent, then Sinclair is the most exciting prospect, as a potential mid. Go to his Player thread for the AFL prospectus review of his last year. Rated elite in a number of areas including disposals and tackling. Kicks of both feet comfortably. As long as he is physically ready, and I think from all accounts he is, then I would want to see how he copes early on.

Hey buddy, thanks. I have Newnes. I will watch his both of there NAB cup. What role is Webster most likely to play mate? I might be interested in him

There are whispers that he will get some time in the middle but IMO he will be challenged to cement his spot in the back 6, and maybe use his pace and elite kick to provide some run and rebound out of the backline. I don't think he is going to breakout fantasy wise this year, and I think there is more chance that Fisher is likely to return to premium status. Are you on a budget and looking for the undervalued and low cost type?

There are whispers that he will get some time in the middle but IMO he will be challenged to cement his spot in the back 6, and maybe use his pace and elite kick to provide some run and rebound out of the backline. I don't think he is going to breakout fantasy wise this year, and I think there is more chance that Fisher is likely to return to premium status. Are you on a budget and looking for the undervalued and low cost type?
Yeah, I need a player that can score 70+. I will watch his nab cup. Have never really taken much notice of him

Yeah, I need a player that can score 70+. I will watch his nab cup. Have never really taken much notice of him

Saints have several potential bargains.
Gilbert, Webster, Geary, Roberton.
We need to watch their form and see who is likely to be best 22.

Well that's why Webster is a sneaky shout - he's been a HB flank, and normally played on small/mediums. Newnes and Savage were our primary ball-users out from the back (and Fisher when fit) last year, so Webster's scoring wasn't that high (around the 50s from what I recall).

But he is a really good user of the ball, so its expected that he is going to move into midfield longer-term, and given this is his 4th year, this could be his time. Or Savage might be moved to wing, and Webster starts using the ball more off half-back.

So he's a good chance at value for money, as his price is likely to rise. However he's in that price bracket where he isn't going to score 100, yet isn't as cheap as a rookie. I only really mentioned him as he's probably priced about the same range as Geary but has greater scoring potential.
Personally I picked him for one league last year, hoping for a breakout year, and I got burned so I'm probably going to steer clear this year. But he, Fisher and Newnes are probably the only defenders worth considering from Saints. Roberton is a long shot (probably our 4th HB at this point), Delaney would happily play the whole game without touching the footy, Gilbert is injured all the time, Geary doesn't have high scoring potential.

Last edited:
Well that's why Webster is a sneaky shout - he's been a HB flank, and normally played on small/mediums. Newnes and Savage were our primary ball-users out from the back (and Fisher when fit) last year, so Webster's scoring wasn't that high (around the 50s from what I recall).

But he is a really good user of the ball, so its expected that he is going to move into midfield longer-term, and given this is his 4th year, this could be his time. Or Savage might be moved to wing, and Webster starts using the ball more off half-back.

So he's a good chance at value for money, as his price is likely to rise. However he's in that price bracket where he isn't going to score 100, yet isn't as cheap as a rookie. I only really mentioned him as he's probably priced about the same range as Geary but has greater scoring potential.
Personally I picked him for one league last year, hoping for a breakout year, and I got burned so I'm probably going to steer clear this year. But he, Fisher and Newnes are probably the only defenders worth considering from Saints. Roberton is a long shot (probably our 4th HB at this point), Delaney would happily play the whole game without touching the footy, Gilbert is injured all the time, Geary doesn't have high scoring potential.

So Gilbert had 6 full seasons, but is now suffering from an acute case of "injured all the time"?

So Gilbert had 6 full seasons, but is now suffering from an acute case of "injured all the time"?

Are you telling me that you don't consider 3 significant injuries in 2 years, a recent history of injury?
It was 2012 last time he played 20+ games, and there was a minor injury issue for him this preseason/offseason already.

I'm not saying he isn't going to manage the year, I'm just saying it's risky to think he will. For a fantasy team, you don't want to be using all your changes on covering injuries.

yeah i gotta admit i worry that Gilbo's foot worries are going to be ongoing :(
Hope not , because even though i know he cops some flak over some wonky kicks. When he's good he is bloody good and gives us versatility.
Think hes a bit like Fish. When hes out for a while people just focus on the injuries and quickly forget how good he can be.

Siposs is pretty much certain to be on the LTI list now until round 10 so Saad or Schneids will come in I believe round 1.

I'd personally love to to Sinclair come from the clouds and play round one. Remember he is the same age as Eli, Billings, Acres and Dunstan.

In reality, I think it's more likely to be Saady.

Eli, Saad, Sinclair, Lee and Membrey can all play round 1 in the same team.
Membrey, Sinclair and Eli all play up the ground whilst Lee and Saad play at FF.

Their gona want to get as much footy into these guys as possible with players like Paddy and White, Curren, Murdoch, and Bruce all gona be pushing for forward spots too. Pressure for spots up forward for a change is great.

I dont think Schinder will get promoted unless theres a LTI to a small forward. Saadys ahead of him for sure...

Gears is ripping it up. Was injured all last season. Is a 70+ dtp player every week when fit.

Question is how do we get Wright and Shenton into the team? Gilbert and Fisher are 10 game a year players now so there will be opportunities.

Lets just cross our fingers and prey that we finally start to get a fair run with injuries this year and next.
I wonder how much Sandy is paying to win the vfl next season. Could be a really good team.

yeah i gotta admit i worry that Gilbo's foot worries are going to be ongoing :(
Hope not , because even though i know he cops some flak over some wonky kicks. When he's good he is bloody good and gives us versatility.
Think hes a bit like Fish. When hes out for a while people just focus on the injuries and quickly forget how good he can be.

He lost an year due to 5th metatarsal. They just should have put him on lti, in the first place.

It won't be the same again, but I am confident, that he can recapture his form.

He just had 2 very different injuries.

A knee in 2013 and a foot in 2014. Not ideal, but definitely, nothing that is recurring. I've broken my 5th metatarsal twice - so I do have some experience - I broke it in May last year, and still managed to run 10km in the Melbourne marathon (end October). So, I am very confident that Gilbert can get over his foot issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back