Universal Love The 2014/15 Pre-season Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure I read somewhere that he'd been bitten by a white-tailed spider and had been in hospital on a drip. I didn't dream that, did I?? :eek:

(Not sure he'd need a cast-type thingy for that, though.)
That was back in mid November though, you'd think it'd be healed by now (I only know the date cause I remembered him tweeting about what should he do for a bite)

Details is anyone wants to nominate for the board, let's get a BF person on there!

foioy66.jpg

There are many other lurks and perks and I'd be astonished if most if not all footballers on high incomes were not privvy to them
Most of the AFL players i deal with simply don't care about tax minimisation. In their eyes, their player manager takes care of them, and if there were tax strategies, they think their manager will suggest it. Player agents however are very good commercially, they're great at negotiating deals, and arranging sponsorships, they often don't know the first thing about tax however.

I recently come across a player who's in the 500-600k income bracket. He didn't even have a simple company structure set up to divert income to his partner - who wasn't even working. Some really basic stuff that a graduate accountant 2 weeks out of Uni would suggest.

That was back in mid November though, you'd think it'd be healed by now (I only know the date cause I remembered him tweeting about what should he do for a bite)

It might just be urban legend type stuff, but I've heard of white-tail bites taking a long time to heal. Hopefully it's not that.

So it's a tick over 4 weeks until R1 of the NAB comp. Does anyone have any insight into our match sim stuff thus far? Anyone with any info to share?

Club is iron clad this PS.

I've heard we're going to try to kick more goals and score more than our opponents

It's a bit of an out there idea IMO ;)

It might just be urban legend type stuff, but I've heard of white-tail bites taking a long time to heal. Hopefully it's not that.
It's not urban legend - they do take a while to recover from.... & unfortunately it is true that Lyons was bitten by one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not urban legend - they do take a while to recover from.... & unfortunately it is true that Lyons was bitten by one.
Well it is sort off the legend of white tail spider bites was of the victims skin not healing but ulcerating sometimes requiring skin grafts to heal. However it has since been found that any spider can cause this due to the bacteria on their fangs from their prey. Hope his isn't to bad I have heard of people losing limbs to stop the spread
[

Not according to the Lancet ...
But this is not common knowledge amongst doctors either - they often believe the same myths.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/06/1091732056941.html?from=storylhs

It's a myth that the venom of the whitetail spider eats away the flesh of its victims, an Australian toxicologist said today.

White tail spider bites in fact caused little more than discomfort, clinical toxicologist Dr Geoffrey Isbister said.

"In 130 white tail spider bites we looked at, none of them caused flesh-eating or persistent ulcers," he told AAP.

"The myth of spiders causing ulcers and flesh-eating diseases is exactly that, a myth."

The commonly-held misconception could leave some patients with unhealed and potentially dangerous wounds, Dr Isbister said.

"There's no actual treatment for white tail spider bites so if the doctor believes that's the cause of the wound it doesn't get treated," he explained.

"Doctors need to find out what causes these ulcers, not just blame a spider for them because in some cases you'll miss something quite significant."

In research published in today's issue of the international medical journal The Lancet, Dr Isbister revealed that ulcers put down to spider bites had a range of other causes.

"We did a study in Newcastle where we looked at all the referrals over two years and the most common causes were different types of infections," he said.

"Golden staph is the most common but also fungal infections and some unusual immune conditions all cause these difficult-to-treat ulcers - in every case we found a cause other than spider bite."

One man referred to Dr Isbister and colleagues had an ulcer on his toe for two months which he and his doctors believed had been caused by a white tail spider bite.

"The surgeon had operated on it twice and he said he couldn't do anything about it," he said.

"We grew some bacteria off it and started him on the right antibiotics and it was gone in two or three days.

"In another case in Adelaide, there was a skin cancer that was missed for two or three years."

Funnelweb and redback spider bites were the only ones in Australia that needed medical attention, Dr Isbister said.

"In a study of 750 spider bites we showed that funnelweb bites were the most severe, but not very common, and redback spider bites were more common but not life-threatening," he said.

"If you've been bitten by a funnelweb spider, call an ambulance and go straight into hospital, but for redbacks we say if that pain's getting more severe and you want something done about it then go to hospital, but don't call an ambulance."

358028-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I thought Keenan Ramsey had a ponytail when looking at this photo
Really hoping this guy turns out to be an absolute steal. Here's a question for you all, out of all the new rookies which one do you think has the best chance of making it onto the senior list?

Really hoping this guy turns out to be an absolute steal. Here's a question for you all, out of all the new rookies which one do you think has the best chance of making it onto the senior list?

After the Tippett sanctions we need all the draft steals we can score. It is too early to appreciate the impact of those sanctions, but to the Clubs credit I think we have navigated ourselves well since and during then.

I am not sure who we were after in the first round back in 2012 (we came 3rd so our first draft pick was a late first rounder if taken), but had we not started those sanctions straight away we would have lost Lever last year.

After the Tippett sanctions we need all the draft steals we can score. It is too early to appreciate the impact of those sanctions, but to the Clubs credit I think we have navigated ourselves well since and during then.

I am not sure who we were after in the first round back in 2012 (we came 3rd so our first draft pick was a late first rounder if taken), but had we not started those sanctions straight away we would have lost Lever last year.
It's interesting to think about, Grundy, Broomhead, Kennedy and Tim O'Brien were all in that range. Time will only tell if we win, but I reckon Lever is the best of the 5 mentioned.

It's interesting to think about, Grundy, Broomhead, Kennedy and Tim O'Brien were all in that range. Time will only tell if we win, but I reckon Lever is the best of the 5 mentioned.

Smart.

That is the best way to assess the decision in taking the sanctions earlier or not. Mind you though we came 3rd in 2012, which was our highest position for a long time but consequently our worst draft position for a long time. So it made since by Trigg to start them earlier.

Smart.

That is the best way to assess the decision in taking the sanctions earlier or not. Mind you though we came 3rd in 2012, which was our highest position for a long time but consequently our worst draft position for a long time. So it made since by Trigg to start them earlier.
Considering we handed ourselves in, 2 years was pretty steep. Especially when you consider Essendon got the exact same and continues to drag the name of the game through the dirt.

Considering we handed ourselves in, 2 years was pretty steep. Especially when you consider Essendon got the exact same and continues to drag the name of the game through the dirt.

Yes but Stephen said to Andrew, I will bend down will you please give it to me. Andrew obliged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back