News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Very concerned about this. I have no doubt this has to do with the return of SOS. Rogers just got the gig and has had 2 years of picking who he wants. Gets everything set up the way he wants and then all a sudden hes gone. I hope like a previous poster said this isnt a return to the boys club days and his feathers have been rustled because we decided to instill SOS in a role that immediately supersedes Rogers or SOS hasnt come in and respected what Rogers has been doing. I think we can all agree there has been a marked improvement in who we have drafted in the past 2 years and whilst some time still needs to pass before we can prove whether the decisions were the right ones, the initial impression is that they have been.

Just as we were starting to see some real stability and direction at the club, this happens. Makes me nervous.

Last edited:
Rejoice like the old days !!! ;)

Gotta think there is more to these sudden departures, The Log could be booting out the non-performers & bringing in better credentialled operators in an attempt to really give the administration some zing !!

If all of this is LOG's work - why do we need a CEO?

i like the guy and how he operated. A real shame that the club couldn't hang onto its talent... smells like bad management to me... :(

anyway our first rounders are locked in for the next three years either way with sosos 1,2 and 3

Interesting to look back only a couple of weeks and compare… MM on leave to take care of his ill wife; Walks, Kreuzer (and Murph) injured; Rogers quits the club...

It's amazing how quickly things can change in footy.

His done a great job the last two years. But if he no longer feels Carlton is the place for him then I'm glad he has let us know early.
At least we have all of this year to get our sh#t together before the 2015 draft.

What will be interesting is where Rogers goes from here. I'm thinking one of the WA clubs.

I reckon you guys will be hunting for Matty Rendell pretty soon. He's the only one that has the experience and slot perfectly in at Carlton as he doesn't have a head recruiting roll at the pies....just not sure what his relationship with trigg is after his sacking at Adelaide.
That and I don't want to lose him at the pies!
would be all for this. really rated Rendells work at the crows!

i like the guy and how he operated. A real shame that the club couldn't hang onto its talent... smells like bad management to me... :(

anyway our first rounders are locked in for the next three years either way with sosos 1,2 and 3

Haha no need for a recruiter you reckon?

Money better spent gold plating the silvangi boys lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very concerned about this. I have no doubt this has to do with the return of SOS. Rogers just got the gig and has had 2 years of picking who he wants. Gets everything set up the way he wants and then all a sudden hes gone. I hope like a previous poster said this isnt a return to the boys club days and his feathers have been rustled because we decided to instill SOS in a role that immediately supersedes Rogers or SOS hasnt come in and respected what Rogers has been doing. I think we can all agree there has been a marked improvement in who we have drafted in the past 2 years and whilst some time still needs to pass before we can prove whether the decisions were the right ones, the initial impression is that they have been.

Just as we were starting to see some real stability and direction at the club, this happens. Makes me nervous.

Agree with everything said here.

I would be interested to know how many of those bemoaning Rogers' departure were front & centre in criticising the drafting of Boekhorst & a year earlier, Cripps.

Is it a reach for me to suggest that some of our supporters will automatically adopt a contrary view to any decisions made at our club?
No

Or yes

would be all for this. really rated Rendells work at the crows!
Not me! I don't want him to leave!
Having him and Hine is gold! People always talk about the best players and fitness gurus etc , my opinion is the recruiter is the most important person to the club but that's just me.

Will Rogers be replaced or has SOS taken over completely?
Could cause a few issues if SOS was in charge when SOSOS is bring drafted at the end of the year... and we dont take him... or if we do take him and he turns out to be not so good.

Did he though get to pick who he wanted? he was pretty set on picking a young ruckman .

Might also get judged in the future on passing on Laverde....

SOS was seen meeting in a café with Wright last week, wonder what that was all about now.

I would be interested to know how many of those bemoaning Rogers' departure were front & centre in criticising the drafting of Boekhorst & a year earlier, Cripps.

Is it a reach for me to suggest that some of our supporters will automatically adopt a contrary view to any decisions made at our club?

That's fair, personally I was questioning the boekhurst call over laverde and wasn't completely sold on cripps. Menzel appeared to be a no brainer and I would have been happy with any of the top 11 that year.

Fair to say I was pretty undecided one way or the other with Rodgers, but after seeing cripps tear up the intra club and the promising signs from our first year players I was really coming around to Rodgers.

Both cripps and boekhurst were unpopular picks that early on phantom drafts/projections etc, so if both come off the bloke is a genius! A good year from our kids could have given the club and the supporters ultimate confidence in the recruiter, wouldn't it be nice to sit back, hear Rodgers call out players we've never heard of with high picks and have confidence they'll turn out guns.

Now we have to wait atleast 3-4 years before we can lay the boots into the next guy or raise him up as the messiah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never too soon to lay the boots in...........
unless it's John Barker... who I must admit has turned into a pretty reasonable defensive coach since being moved back there. Just couldnt coach forwards for love nor money.

Rogers earned his keep last year by turning the Jeffy draft pick into Clem Smith.

Makes you wonder if that was a big reason the club was happy to let Jeffy go so cheaply, knowing Clemmy would still be there at pick 61 ..

Clem isn't the finished product yet, still has a few wrinkles to iron out/improve in his game, but boy, based on what I saw at the intraclub game, we have an absolute beauty on our hands.

Hope people remember that before wanting to go on and wave pitchforks at Rogers.

He has left the club in much healthier shape then when he arrived..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back