News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible news for the club. Make no mistake.

I'm not just lamented the loss of a guy who I believe was a great recruiter but also his plan that he had going forward. The relationships that were being built had real potential to bear fruit for us going forward. I feel much of that is lost now.

Feel for the guys left picking up the slack.

This club will never learn.:(

Interesting to look back only a couple of weeks and compare… MM on leave to take care of his ill wife; Walks, Kreuzer (and Murph) injured; Rogers quits the club...

It's amazing how quickly things can change in footy.
I thought the club did well to retain him after we tried to lure Graham Wright to the club.
Has a great nose for talent, and we've seen this in the previous 3 drafts he's been RM.
A big loss for the club.

Exactly, club slapped Rogers by chasing Wright. Nobody is going to be happy working after knowing there was a failed coup attempt.

Hey Mathieson - you got your way....now f*%k off back under the rock you crawled out from under.

These dillusional pricks called out Rogers in the media, blaming him for work done under a previous recruiter, and tried to hire Wright behind the backs of everyone at the club. Rogue operators and powerbrokers are the polar opposite of what our club needs.

Money talks all languages. Mathieson is good for a quote or to stir the pot if he feels his $$$'s are being wasted. I suppose I'd feel the same at some point.

Don't like people bagging Rogers. I could be wrong but while admittedly time will tell, our draft picks in the past two years appear to have improved markedly. MM brought kids in regularly in his later years at Collingwood but seems reluctant to do so with us. MM's excitement on draft night back in November was palpable. So if Rogers was on the money in the past two drafts I reckon we'll know by the end of this year (barring injuries).

This was never an issue when you could cheat.
Or when this blokes crew were involved in negotiations.....

images

Sad situation. I didn't agree with him taking Boekhurst so early, nor with it being so transparent in who we were interested in, however the real results of his selections are yet to manifest, so no point judging him on that just yet. Meanwhile he was making good noises about building a team and selecting players who were good for Carlton and good for our culture. The worry for me is, that unless his ego stepped in, his resignation indicates he thinks something is amiss at the club. And I just want to see this club get back to where it belongs (at the top) as fast and as sustainably is possible. Massive decision now facing the club as to who replaces him going forward. Fingers crossed we make the right call.

The way I read it....and someone pull me up if im clutching at straws.

The guy knows someone was headhunted for his position by the incoming president and his chief backer.
The guy then signs a new contract to try and secure his job at the club, knowing he was on shaky ground.
The guy then gets demoted due to the incoming of a "favourite son".
The guy assumes that he is obviously not appreciated here, lines up a new job, negotiates a payout and gets out while he can.

The guy knows someone was headhunted for his position by the incoming president and his chief backer.
The guy then signs a new contract to try and secure his job at the club, knowing he was on shaky ground.
The guy assumes that he is obviously not appreciated here, lines up a new job, negotiates a payout and gets out while he can.
Would appear to be very close to the mark Slash. :thumbsu:

I am sure it will be spun differently though.

Word is that Rogers might be on his way to Seaford to join his old mate Wayne Hughes.

The fact that his supporters always want to absolve Rogers of any blame from his time as 2IC to Hughes always makes me chuckle.

Their results and methods were poor....over a long period.

They are not the only ones at the Club whose performances have been poor over the last decade.

A fair few changes are being made. Let's see if they are smart changes.

But facts are we are currently an ordinary Club. Change was needed.

As usual with Carlton, or any organisation, success will depend on unity.

Will we get it?......who knows.

I think a few need to take a couple of deep breaths.

I'm not going to get upset about this until I see who he gets replaced by. Just need a good man to fill the job, whether that is Rogers or otherwise is irrelevant IMO. Unlike others, I have faith in Trigg and MLG to make a wise decision.

I'd also agree that this is probably the most likely Scenario.

I'm not sure about the demotion though. Wouldn't it have been a promotion if he had been appointed to fill the List Strategy position? That's where I have my doubts about Roger's capabilities. He seems to be good at spotting talent but it wasn't until Malthouse told him the types of players they required that recruitment actually became 'strategic'. Prior to this it was the old tired 'best available' mantra and consequently the list became unbalanced and lacked depth in critical areas e.g. key position talls.

I'm not sure about the demotion though. Wouldn't it have been a promotion if he had been appointed to fill the List Strategy position? That's where I have my doubts about Roger's capabilities. He seems to be good at spotting talent but it wasn't until Malthouse told him the types of players they required that recruitment actually became 'strategic'. Prior to this it was the old tired 'best available' mantra and consequently the list became unbalanced and lacked depth in critical areas e.g. key position talls.
Begs the question - why have a list strategy position, if the coach is going to dictate the types of players to take? It was a demotion in terms of accountability and reporting lines....rather than report to the top, there was a middleman.....thats a demotion to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd also agree that this is probably the most likely Scenario.

Then suddenly splurge on big blokes (Watson, McCarthy & Mitchell)

Begs the question - why have a list strategy position, if the coach is going to dictate the types of players to take? It was a demotion in terms of accountability and reporting lines....rather than report to the top, there was a middleman.....thats a demotion to me.
I assume Mick stepped in because no one else who was doing the strategic planning. Thankfully now there is!

Fair enough, I guess Rogers would certainly have seen the new reporting lines as a step backwards, but effectively he was still doing the same job. He certainly wasn't making strategic decisions prior to SOS's appointment, so there was not overlap there.

I actually think Rogers' departure might turn out to be a win-win for both him and the Club. And that's not meant as a knock on Rogers.

I guess from the general vibe to this, a lot of us are feeling a little rattled by what has taken place. I know we love to put on our rose coloured glasses and hope that these things happening are great for the club, maybe it will eventuate that way.. but currently having so many supporters a little jaded with the inner workings is not great for PR.

And no matter how hard the club may appear to be improving their PR, they still have a long way to go and hoping to hell that Roger's doesn't end up at another club and make comments at how much better etc his new place of employment is.

Everyone seems to think that SOS couldn't fail in his GWS role because of the generous draft concessions. But look at all the promising talent GWS have picked up in the 20 - 40 selection range. That certainly hasn't been a strength for the blues in recent years.
I'm not sure if your post is meant to be a joke or not... GWS have had maybe 3 picks in that range in 4 years, and they've played about 12 games between them. They've had too much stock at the trade table to use 3rd & 4th round picks most years.

SOS could well be a more politically astute appointment, but to suggest that Rogers didn't have some of the stains of the previous recruitment regime is just folly, both from the point of view of perception and reality.

Smells of typical old-Carlton quick-fix in a science that just doesn't accommodate that mentality.
Your first mistake is thinking that it's all science. It's definitely becoming more precise, but what evidence do we have that Rogers was more scientific in his approach than SOS?

I mean we picked Walsh aka Bentick/Cachia 2.0 up in the rookie draft when there were some solid options available after that pick. I'd love to hear what the knocks are on blokes like Newman, Castagna, Fordham and Miller-Lewis, particularly the last 3. Castagna was right under our noses but we apparently preferred the leadership, work ethic and the ability of a mature body to stand up in a tackle of Walsh over football ability...

Our network can dig deep, but some of the ways it evaluates what it finds befuddle me at times and suggest we have not been scientific at all.

Hey Mathieson - you got your way....now **** off back under the rock you crawled out from under.

These dillusional pricks called out Rogers in the media, blaming him for work done under a previous recruiter, and tried to hire Wright behind the backs of everyone at the club. Rogue operators and powerbrokers are the polar opposite of what our club needs.
Rogers inherited the exact same network of people, then made some small scale changes. The club, with new operators, has seen fit to appoint someone to manage the structure of the list over time to assist our talent ID process in refining their choices and update their processes.

Is it at all possible that we might end up with an even better recruiter ??

It's possible but who?
More to the point which respectable recruiter would want to join us given how (sharp and some may say, unfair) the knives are.

I am a little biased in that I understand the efforts Rogers went through to get the best players for a Carlton.

Seems as though he's not 'suit' enough for us. Dress and look is very important and knowing how to cook gets you in the door at the CFC.

Rogers inherited the exact same network of people, then made some small scale changes. The club, with new operators, has seen fit to appoint someone to manage the structure of the list over time to assist our talent ID process in refining their choices and update their processes.
So we've cut off our nose to spite our face?

We've put our head recruiter in a position where they didnt feel supported or backed, because we think they are good talent identifiers that didnt necessarily have good list structuring. Perhaps you could have both, and not have degraded Rogers by trying to hire someone behind the clubs back, and then changing his reporting lines so he feels demoted. What a farce

Saved me typing it.

Anyway, we're refreshing the list, the Pres and list management team. Maybe a couple of new Asst coaches and lets go.

Hmmmmm... All just seems a bit "I wanted to be in charge, taking my clipboard and going home"

We all have experiences with bosses we may not meet eye to eye with, doesn't mean we quit.

But then again, I don't know what's going on behind the scene or how accountable the club held SR to the decisions made whilst 2IC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back