Worst area you have been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I try to lower the tone of wherever I am.

and I'm sure you succeed

Nowhere in Melbourne has made me feel unsafe or nervous. There are some shitholes for sure but I have never felt threatened.

Overseas was a different story. Especially London, Paris, Rome and Barcelona.

I was brought up in an outer western suburb of Melbourne, and I've never been witness to as much violence anywhere else (icluding Salford in Manchester, which is always name-checked in the UK media due to it's low SES status). Although I did get towelled up a few times in Bolton Lancs, ******* shithole that it is.

hackham west. google images should tell you enough.

Second this. Used to work for Noarlunga Mental Health and home visits to Hackham West could be very perilous

No way in hell Maddo is worse than the bolded. I live on Maddington's doorstep, and feel safer walking through Maddo at night than a few other places including a couple you mentioned.

Nup. No way. Rocko has a really nice oceanfront and shopping strip. Armadale has some 'character'. Yeah Mirrabooka is pretty bad. But Maddington is awful everywhere, and filled with all sorts of pieces of s**t. There is no escape.

Worst place I've been to, by far, is Camden, New Jersey.

It's right across the river from Philadelphia and when I was in Philly, despite warnings not to, I went and had a quick look.

It's not a nice place and I hightailed out of there pretty quickly. I found out later that it apparently has the highest murder rate (I think) in the US.

Where the **** is Hackam West?

Suburb maybe an hour south of Adelaide.

Springvale gets a bad reputation, but I spent three uneventful years there. Never had an issue walking home from the train station (which I just saw they fixed - finally) at midnight after the footy. Always took the dogs down to the oval and went out to the local shops everyday and didn't see anything that wouldn't occur anywhere else in Melbourne. Plenty of Asians, Africans and Europeans, but never had a problem with any of them. Everyone just seemed to be getting on.

Suburb maybe an hour south of Adelaide.

Springvale gets a bad reputation, but I spent three uneventful years there. Never had an issue walking home from the train station (which I just saw they fixed - finally) at midnight after the footy. Always took the dogs down to the oval and went out to the local shops everyday and didn't see anything that wouldn't occur anywhere else in Melbourne. Plenty of Asians, Africans and Europeans, but never had a problem with any of them. Everyone just seemed to be getting on.

How long ago was this? Springy was cleaned up, it was bad from the 90s to about 2006 with all the heroin dealing on the main street and station.

If I was a journalist, two places I'd pick to go to would be Yemen and Somalia. If that ever happens then they'll probably top this thread.

If I was a journalist, two places I'd pick to go to would be Yemen and Somalia. If that ever happens then they'll probably top this thread.
And if that fails, you always have northern Nigeria, far north Cameroon and Libya as other attractive destinations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people might love it but I damn well hated it, Venice Beach in LA, I was there 30 seconds and I had some dodgy dero trying to sell me some dodgy s**t out of his dodgy jacket, our tour guide told us to use the eatery toilets and not the dodgy ones in the middle of the beach and then when you ask to use the dunny at the eatery, they tell you to use the dodgy dunny instead WTF.

Took the BART from San Francisco to Oakland to watch baseball at the Coliseum almost five years ago now. That was an interesting experience, particularly the walk up from the train station to the Coliseum.

Back in 1998, spent two weeks in Minsk visiting family. We were driven around the city by my stepmother's cousin's daughter and her (then) husband. We got stopped several times by police at road blocks looking for bribes. God knows what would have happened if we hadn't paid the bribes, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pleasant. On the same trip, we went to a fancy restaurant out of town that was set up in what looked like an old Soviet dacha. At what should have been a busy time of day (lunchtime), we were the only people in the restaurant and we were let into the premises by security guards packing machine guns and German shepherds. Very weird.

Poor, African neighbourhoods in Paris; Gare du Nord and Chateau Rouge in particular. It's an eye opener for sure, and very different to the stereotypical Parisian street scene/

Poor, African neighbourhoods in Paris; Gare du Nord and Chateau Rouge in particular. It's an eye opener for sure, and very different to the stereotypical Parisian street scene/
Yep, I stayed in Simplon for a bit while I was in Paris. It was the stop before Gare du Nord. We went to Gare du nord to go to mcdonalds one night (as our hotel didn't have wifi it was that cheap) and saw someone get king hit outside and kicked while on the ground.

When people say that Paris is the best city in the world, they obviously haven't travelled very far out of the CBD

Depends on what context you're being asked, but I saw some downright terrible things in Nepal/North India (Varanasi, Delhi, Agra, Chandigarh).

A dead baby floating down the Gangas, the rampant poverty in Delhi/Nepal. Agra was just flithy outside of the tourist holes. Chandigarh just felt inhuman because of the scale of it's construction against the people living there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back