Collingwood player betting investigation (Update: Crisp gets fine, no suspension, see p.5)

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no reason why he should be given match ban as he didn't even make the bet while he was at Collingwood...

If anything, he should be given a fine and a warning that if he ever does it again at Collingwood then he would be given a lengthy match ban. Why should Collingwood be punished for what he did at another club? Why didn't the Brisbane Lions do a better job in ascertaining whether their players were making illegal bets?

To give him a match ban when he didn't even make the illegal bet at this club just makes no sense to me.

There's no reason why he should be given match ban as he didn't even make the bet while he was at Collingwood...

If anything, he should be given a fine and a warning that if he ever does it again at Collingwood then he would be given a lengthy match ban. Why should Collingwood be punished for what he did at another club? Why didn't the Brisbane Lions do a better job in ascertaining whether their players were making illegal bets?

To give him a match ban when he didn't even make the illegal bet at this club just makes no sense to me.
So Monfries Ryder etc should get off as they are now at other clubs?

I think it's just our bad luck & we have to suck up whatever penalty is handed out plus an extra week as other have said for bringing the human race into disrepute regarding stupidity.

Reports at the time indicated Shaw had his mate place a $10 bet for him

8 Weeks

I find it very hard to believe that Shaw and Beams bet 5/10 dollar bets

Gerry Welsh from Sportingbet looks after them he only looks after the big spenders

I assume incidents like this are handled by the club not the AFL?

Pretty simple, if he bet on a game he played in there should be a hefty penatly, especially if he bet to lose. Six to eight weeks.

If he didnt play the game or it was some multi then a reprimand should be enough.

If I were Collingwood I'd also be enquiring as to how this news broke and why this information wasnt available to us in trade week.

I find it very hard to believe that Shaw and Beams bet 5/10 dollar bets

Gerry Welsh from Sportingbet looks after them he only looks after the big spenders
Not that it matters but I'd be surprised given Beams and Shaw are earning 6 figure salaries. All I think of though is like I said earlier that they may have been testing the system to see if they could get away with it by starting off small.

I assume incidents like this are handled by the club not the AFL?

Pretty simple, if he bet on a game he played in there should be a hefty penatly, especially if he bet to lose. Six to eight weeks.

If he didnt play the game or it was some multi then a reprimand should be enough.

If I were Collingwood I'd also be enquiring as to how this news broke and why this information wasnt available to us in trade week.
Wait for Eddie to ask for compo if Crisp gets suspended off Brisbane or AFL. We will basically be paying for a bloke to sit on his arse.

Not that it matters but I'd be surprised given Beams and Shaw are earning 6 figure salaries. All I think of though is like I said earlier that they may have been testing the system to see if they could get away with it by starting off small.

I know Sportingbet wouldn't throw them under the bus so I don't know how the AFL could even find out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it only now that he is being investigated?

The bet happened early last season.
I know Sportingbet wouldn't throw them under the bus so I don't know how the AFL could even find out
Maybe cos it's round one soon ;);)
200px-Brisbane_Bears.png
fix-a-leaking-tap.png
How_to_fix_leaky_taps.jpg

This is what I find interesting. How does the AFL learn of these things. Especially when a friend places the bet for them.

In the case of Shaw, he was busted on CCTV at the TAB with the friend who placed the obscure bet.

And Shaw learnt the hard way that it's a bad idea to lie to Eddie and the club.

In the case of Shaw, he was busted on CCTV at the TAB with the friend who placed the obscure bet.

And Shaw learnt the hard way that it's a bad idea to lie to Eddie and the club.

Wasn’t the Lie about the Car Crash?

----------------

Who gives a rats.. ? If the AFL don't want this sort of thing to happen then they need to get out of bed with the gambling industry....

and Not have the Odds before every bloody game.

Double Standerds there

Why is it only now that he is being investigated?

The bet happened early last season.
Hasn't been a super 2 years or so for AFL and NRL with drugs, and betting.
Although the media do make mountains from mole hills.

Personally I don't see an issue placing a bet on your own team to win, obviously betting to lose introduces match fixing possibilities.

As for the drugs, this is where it needs to be reviewed, players getting rubbed out for energy drinks and pain killers while potentially systematic doping can go in punished seems ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back