Airbus A320 Down in French Alps

Remove this Banner Ad

Within 5 minutes?

You do realise that the crash happened before it was announced in the news?

One helicopter flight over that mountain was enough to tell Hollande that 'no survivors were expected'.

Some fairly clever engineers got together and decided to make it impossible to get into the cockpit in case of terrorist attack or highjack attempt. They probably sat down and thought out every possible scenario to prevent people from getting into the cockpit. Like most things nobody imagines the guy you are trying to stop is on the wrong side of the door. There was never anything that could be done given limited resources and the probability if something could have been done a simple barrel roll by the pilot would counter that.

Before 9/11, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but policy was to leave the cockpit door open in case of hijack.

The reasoning being is that with all of the hijacks, particularly in the 70s, authorities would rather have hijackers in the cockpit giving directions and demands instead of being locked out in the passenger cabin, slaughtering passengers.

No one had planned for planes to be hijacked and used as weapons themselves, except of course for Tom Clancy in Debt of Honor.

I personally don't see how this guy is any different to Martin Bryant, Anders Breivik or any other mass murderer that has lived in history. Despicable act and simply calling it a 'suicide' is letting him off the hook.

they are declaring him a murderer so I assume the evidence is pretty solid, but all I have heard is that the co-pilot was breathing normally and the pilot was trying to get back in. Is there any possiblity that the coo-pilot could have passed out / been experiencing some disorientation and it was a tragic accident ?

I know they said he overid the dials, but it is just so hard to fathom that this would be deliberate.

Without knowing anything about flying, I've got to ask: instead of just making it compulsory to have two crew members present on the flight deck at all times, couldn't you come up with a system where both pilots need to authorise such a drastic change in the flight pattern, by typing a PIN code or something?

Imagine the guy's parents: about to get briefed alongside the families of all the other victims, then getting pulled aside a couple of minutes before the briefing is due to start to be told that their son is suspected to have deliberately caused it.

Suicide note is my guess.

Edit: Okay so it isn't one according to the article. But what could it be?

Receipts of certain accounts/memberships being cancelled etc...? Not sure why you'd bother, but I guess it's possible.

Browsing history could be another one. A picture showed police taking his computer, though that would just be par for the course, presumably.

Anti psychitry advocates have long believed psych drugs cause apathy and that they say causes the user to lack feeling remorse and guilt. This (according to them) is a contributing factor in alot of mass shootings ect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they are declaring him a murderer so I assume the evidence is pretty solid, but all I have heard is that the co-pilot was breathing normally and the pilot was trying to get back in. Is there any possiblity that the coo-pilot could have passed out / been experiencing some disorientation and it was a tragic accident ?

I know they said he overid the dials, but it is just so hard to fathom that this would be deliberate.
Why would he change the altimetre?

Anti psychitry advocates have long believed psych drugs cause apathy and that they say causes the user to lack feeling remorse and guilt. This (according to them) is a contributing factor in alot of mass shootings ect.
One of the boys who shot up Columbine was on a prescription drug called Luvox, and he wrote in his diary that it gave him homicidal thoughts, and would often claim that purposely taking himself off the drug made himself feel more self aware.

What I don't get is that even if he was about to kill himself and 150 others his breathing was "normal." To that my guess would be even and consistent. Not even a yelp, grunt, comment, puffing but even steady breathing. To my mind that reads unconscious. How the hell did the door get locked and the plane change altitude before decent then? Unfortuantlely as per most of these things the official story will be kept under wraps and the public swallow whatever bullshit they are fed. (I'm not discounting he did just crash the thing but why????)

but why????)

humans need answers to exist.

the paradox is sometimes answers do not exist, and then we cant reconcile not having an answer.

it is like those experiments with animals where they think they press a button and get the banana, but this time, no banana. anthropomorphising the bodylanguage and the human interpretation (me) is pretty funny seeing the monkey stuggle to understand the no-reward.

the paradox is sometimes answers do not exist, and then we cant reconcile not having an answer.

it is like those experiments with animals where they think they press a button and get the banana, but this time, no banana. anthropomorphising the bodylanguage and the human interpretation (me) is pretty funny seeing the monkey stuggle to understand the no-reward.

True. Although I think there is clearly a bloody obvious answer (something caused the crash) yet short of a camera capturing a full action replay the truth will probably never be known as to exactly what happened. The plane and sadly its passengers are gone so while there are many theories (including the media report of a deliberate crash) how the hell do you ascertain for certain what occurred at this present time, if at all? My guess is the best you can do is the most likely scenario.

True. Although I think there is clearly a bloody obvious answer (something caused the crash) yet short of a camera capturing a full action replay the truth will probably never be known as to exactly what happened. The plane and sadly its passengers are gone so while there are many theories (including the media report of a deliberate crash) how the hell do you ascertain for certain what occurred at this present time, if at all? My guess is the best you can do is the most likely scenario.

Because people that are experts (which, presumably, is something that no-one that has posted here yet could claim) would have a very clear understanding of exactly how possible/impossible it would have been for certain aspects of the crash to have happened accidentally. From the little that we already know, it seems that there are several pretty miraculous coincidences at play already.

With the traditional elements of what we consider to be a terrorist act seemingly absent, people are demanding answers. They might not find any.

And, bringing it back to this site, this reasoning can be applied to our footy teams. Example: the same day that Allen Christensen demanded a trade to a Queensland team (and later, I believe, specifically to Brisbane), news started emerging that the Bulldogs had offered a massive, multi-year contract to Tom Lonergan and we'd pretty much written him off as a Geelong player as well. So what were Geelong supporters on here supposed to make of this, with two established players that I don't believe any of us know personally? Well, the early consensus was obvious: Christensen must have been doing the dirty with Lonergan's Mrs. What other possible reason could there be for two players to want out of Geelong?? People take the 1% that they know about these players and assume/demand that the answer must lie there.

Without knowing anything about flying, I've got to ask: instead of just making it compulsory to have two crew members present on the flight deck at all times, couldn't you come up with a system where both pilots need to authorise such a drastic change in the flight pattern, by typing a PIN code or something?
Hell no. That would be equivalent to having to enter a PIN code before you move your steering wheel or press your brakes.
Interesting reports the autopilot was reprogrammed
What that most likely means, being typically rubbish aviation reporting is:
(on the A320)
1. Wind a knob to the left a few times.
2. Pull it.

or alternatively
1. Wind a knob to the left a few times.
2. Pull a different knob.
3. Wind that knob to the left a few times.

Actually 'reprogramming' the A/P is done using a keypad and anyway no programming you do will allow the aircraft to descend if you don't wind that first knob.

Hell no. That would be equivalent to having to enter a PIN code before you move your steering wheel or press your brakes.

Fair enough. I'm not talking about every single instinctive action that the pilot takes to control a plane, but I assumed something as drastic as changing the flying altitude by several thousand feet would involve punching it in a keypad anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back