Airbus A320 Down in French Alps

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard about the blackbox recording just before. Banging on cabin door getting louder and louder and then screams from passengers as they realized what was happening. The pilot was breathing calmly throughout :( It's difficult to fathom. I had to put it out of my mind for a little while because hearing that almost brought a tear to the eye.

If that situation is happening, what do you imagine happening I the cabin?

What would you do?

Not being silly but could you create a device with the alcohols on board?(I'm avoiding using certain words here that might be innflammatory).

If you're with a loved one do you hug them till the end, or fight your ass off and try try try?

What would you do?

Not being silly but could you create a device with the alcohols on board?(I'm avoiding using certain words here that might be innflammatory).

If you're with a loved one do you hug them till the end, or fight your ass off and try try try?
Probably only have about 4 minutes or so once passengers knew what was happening. I'd be surprised if the ones near the front of the plane didn't try and break into the cockpit, but once they realised it was of no use they probably thought about their life and their families, friends etc especially if they are alone on the flight.

Those lists of worst ways to die, being a passenger on that plane must be one of them.

Easyjet, Norwegian Airlines and the Canadian aviation authority all now making two in the cockpit at all times mandatory effective immediately.

Easyjet, Norwegian Airlines and the Canadian aviation authority all now making two in the cockpit at all times mandatory effective immediately.

I hadn't heard that. Good to know. You'd think both pilots would at least have one set of keys each. There has to be a better door design or at least stronger protocol.

Yeh, suspected as much as soon as you heard the other pilot was locked out.

Unspeakable tragedy. Gives campaigner a new meaning.

Thoughts are with the families of loved ones.

What would you do?

I have watched United 93 a few times and each time it is sheer hopelessness, sadness and that final 30 seconds breaks your heart.

I suppose a lot depends upon the stability of the plane towards the end.

And with the passage way being so narrow there's only a certain amount you can do.

But at 700 kmhr you can only hope that the first impact knocks you out cold and there's no pain.

Probably only have about 4 minutes or so once passengers knew what was happening. I'd be surprised if the ones near the front of the plane didn't try and break into the cockpit, but once they realised it was of no use they probably thought about their life and their families, friends etc especially if they are alone on the flight.
It was reported someone tried to break it down the door but they have been strengthened to stop a terrorist breaking in, but some airlines in America have a policy of when a pilot leaves the cabin a crew member (presumably a male steward) sits in the cabin to make sure there is more than one person in there at all times. I guess this will become the normal policy...Sadly.

Some fairly clever engineers got together and decided to make it impossible to get into the cockpit in case of terrorist attack or highjack attempt. They probably sat down and thought out every possible scenario to prevent people from getting into the cockpit. Like most things nobody imagines the guy you are trying to stop is on the wrong side of the door. There was never anything that could be done given limited resources and the probability if something could have been done a simple barrel roll by the pilot would counter that.

What would you do?

Think there's an axe strategically hidden outside the cockpit, maybe that's what the banging was on the recording. But the cockpit door's built to withstand small explosions.

Think there's an axe strategically hidden outside the cockpit, maybe that's what the banging was on the recording. But the cockpit door's built to withstand small explosions.

Explosions was what I was thinking. Using alcohol of whatever. I'm no mcguver butaybe someone else is.

On the axe, other thought was is there a sideways or up or down entrance by force. Doubtful with what happened 14 years ago. Just so sad and helpless situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explosions was what I was thinking. Using alcohol of whatever. I'm no mcguver butaybe someone else is.

On the axe, other thought was is there a sideways or up or down entrance by force. Doubtful with what happened 14 years ago. Just so sad and helpless situation.
Dice Man, no need to be humble, you are Macgyver, own it.

The pilot's parents won't be too elderly, you wonder how they will be able to live with this.

The darkness of the human mind is not somewhere most like to dwell, but investigators will have to go there.

They're withholding the name of the pilot because they don't want people thinking it was a deliberate act ('terrorism' if you like)
but that is incorrect. That they name certain people, and no one else gets named and fingered with that appellation. The guy who flew the plane into the IRS building in Austin, the guy who blew up Oklahoma City Timothy McVeigh. Terrorism is a charged term, that only certain people, (peoples?) are appropriate to receive. The term is denuded of meaning. Germans on the other hand, respectable nation (apart from WWII), advanced, part of the Washington consort. Crazies, and crazy individuals exist, you just dont want them flying a passenger jet do you

Germans on the other hand, respectable nation (apart from WWII), advanced, part of the Washington consort. Crazies, and crazy individuals exist, you just dont want them flying a passenger jet do you

No group has claimed responsibility. No associations with such groups are evident at this stage. It doesn't appear to have been done for a "cause".

I mean, Martin Bryant's not a terrorist in the accepted sense of the term.

No group has claimed responsibility. No associations with such groups are evident at this stage. It doesn't appear to have been done for a "cause".

I mean, Martin Bryant's not a terrorist in the accepted sense of the term.
but this is how the term has been wielded since 2001. used to engender geopolitik[sic] aim. the term is next to worthless now.

There is a figure of about 40 flying hours per month since he joined the airline. Does sound like a part time job?
That's a low amount of hours. 70+ is more typical.
That axe is inside the cockpit, it's to help the pilots escape after a crash. It's actually called a 'crash axe'.

I don't buy these freak events
There's also the phenomenon airbus doesn't like the publicity of its planes going down, effects share market price. Effects future investment, research and development and a s**t load of European jobs.

He was due a 40% wage decrease. - Well said Russell in Post 1230.

Folks - Note a 40% decrease in wages.

So that the public in Europe (and elsewhere) can fly around for the price of a pair of Jeans.

I don't buy these freak events

Co pilot said to be breathing normally whilst descending into the alps
He says nothing?
Then it's just as likely he is unconscious

Only possible if the pilot didn't try to use the security code to get into the cockpit. Once the code is entered, it requires manual intervention to prevent the cockpit door opening after 30 seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back