Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership - target 60 000+ REACHED

Remove this Banner Ad

The first year of Club 1870 there was either 63 or 65 of us. The main reason I joined up in November 2011 was because Eddie Dingle who lives in Sydney signed up, talked his mate in Darwin to sign up and said its a way of helping out the club and it will set us up to get the best seats possible at AO and he said if you are still living in SA I could hold on to his ticket when he cant catch a game. We have 3 seats together on level 3 of the eastern stand.

In 2013 it grew to 130 members and last year at the April event it was 283, KT said the club would cap it to 300, so Eddie signed up his 2 daughters a couple of days later, so thats at least 285 in 2014 and we now have 4 seats together with one a couple of rows behind us. I have been to 5 of the 6 events and everyone between 50%-70% of the members that year have turned up, so its still a reasonably interment event even with 140 people. I reckon close to 20 Big Footy members are Club 1870 members.

May - a Power function mid week at Alberton - I missed it because I was in Sydney but you can read about it here in particular TSW's summary page 3 post 44
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/club-1870-night-tuesday-22-may-2012.946525/

June - A Magpies function on game day at Alberton - Met up around 1pm had drinks and finger food Tony Bamford addressed us about the game strategy etc. Can't remember but one other assistant coach there. KT was there. We could have beers and nibbles at 1/4 time and half time. About 35 rocked up

The August showdown they invited club 1870 members to walk on the ground as the players warmed up about 40 minutes before bounce down so we could take photos up close as we were allowed to stand near the boundary line.

May - a Power function mid week at Alberton - About 70 rock up. Meet up stairs at Port club. KT gives a brief chat. Brett Ebert, Chad and Hammer are the players there for the night. Had a long chat to Hammer as we walked from the room to the Alan Scott build. We get a 20 minute chat and Q&A with Ken. It was the Wednesday after he missed the game in Hobart with a crook back. I asked him a Question about our players look better educated and our structures were so much better than 2012 and asked if he could go thru what he worked on in the preseason.He talked about game day simulation questions the players were tested on over the preseason, and they had to keep doing them until they got it right. I asked if we had done that in the past and Kenny asked the players and Hammer said no. This game simulation stuff has never been discussed in the media Then we got a bit of a tour with the place and had Burgo talked to us about the fitness stuff in the large building that we built in 2009. In the Q&A section I asked about the work wrestling coach John Donohue had done and the Snake Pit over summer and Hammer gave a long graphic answer everyone at some point squirmed to what they went through. I asked Burgo if the media reports were true that he couldnt watch and he said yes. Then we were supposed to have 20 minutes with Alan Richardson in the players lecture room, got 40, and if Ben didnt say we had to move on then he would have gone for an hour. He gave us a great insight into some of the data and analytical tools they use and the way they give feedback to players. he asked us to keep that t ourselves. As we were leaving I was last out and whilst waiting for others to go out I asked Richo if wrestling coach John Donohue at a sado masochistic streak and he smiled and said yes and added to what he had showed us in the video of the Snake Pit work. Then went and spent over 40 minutes with then Magpies CEO and 4 time premiership player Brian Leys in the Magpies room under the Williams family stand. That was sensational to be in the room and smell the linament of where so many of our greats had been.

October - At Alberton - mainly a Magpie function as Buddha and KT talked about the new Magpie structure. there were a few players there. They also talked about the traded players and strategy and a bit about the Power's plans. KT talked a fair bit about the new academies and the west coast zone and not abandoning them. There was a couple of video presentation and a preview of the new membership ad I think. Probably 50-60 people and went for 90 minutes or so. Booze and finger food.

April - At Adelaide Oval in Port's ONE Suite - level 3 of the Riverbank stand. About 130 people there. KT gave a great speech. Will have to find the link of where i wrote about it. We then went down to the chabge rooms. Polec, Impey and Matt White was there. Along with Ford Fairlane and pastmyprimus we spoke to Phil walsh for about 20 minutes and then i thought I better go look at the members name board, look around, talk to the players I mentioned, saw the big J-Mac muriel etc, that took about 25 minutes and Ford was still talking footy to Phil Walsh. This thread is about that night and worth a read to get a feel for how good KT's speech was.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/one-club-one-heart.1058757/

July - At Alberton, for Magpies function. About 110 people turned up. Started up stairs at the Port Club, went over to the training facility to see the Maggies warm up. Had speeches from officials etc. More at this thread.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...on-saturday-for-magpies-v-north-game.1069487/
Your memory is awesome. I've been to all of the above and forgot 90% of it.

You mean they've changed the ad again ? :eek:
The one in the club YouTube account is definitely the Hawks smashing scoreboard

I think it's more relevant than 2007 myself given we were actually good in 07 despite the end result on grand final day. 2012 was much darker

This was NO 10-hour product. The Club was working on the ad for weeks.

The key objectives were to 1) be noticeably different from all the other clubs' membership calls, 2) define the PAFC person today and 3) finish with a simple '"Thank you" to members and supporters.

Over the production period the verse changed, the words were tinkered with and ... brilliantly ... a finishing touch of sophisticated humour was applied.
Several different voices were trialled.
My eyebrows, I admit, went up when I heard the 'Crow' reference in the final version. I wondered what the reaction would be from West Lakes and the ugh 19th Man (god I wish whoever came up with that a long career at Crowville).
It's been wet.

I like the suggestion by Janus just now that the reference to not marrying a Crows supporter implied our people are, quite simply, hotter. Funny.
I'd add that we're far better at partnerships.

I also worked out that the scoreboard at the start is likewise aimed at the 19th (spew) Man. We've had '119' thrown in our face since 2007, and deservedly so. Putting it up there, up front, is a sign that we can handle it, have handled it. It's a flick in their face. Take your dumb jibe and stick it, that's the message. We're over it. You're not, and you weren't even there.

A 10-hour job? Nah. '19th Man' now that's a 10-hour job, of which 9 hours and 59 minutes were spent sharpening pencils.
Mate ... that is your best work ever!!!
:)

I don't have a problem with the reference to the crows in the ad. In the context of the ad it is just about being so passionate about Port that you couldn't entertain the thought of marrying a crows supporter. It acknowledges the rivalry within SA between Port and the crows without actually bagging the crows. It's a thank-you to the die-hard fans with a bit of humour thrown in.

I like the reference, it's a bit cheeky. While our vision extends worldwide we do have a peek over our shoulder in the backyard.

And the subtlety that would be beyond boofheads like Cornes, Dillon etc is that it's about us not them.

Only just had a look at the add now - actually don't mind it, good bit of humour with the Chad reference and mentioning the crows is quite funny I thought.

I think that Crows "jibe" is the most light-hearted kind of banter possible in footy and rivalry, "can't marry a rival", stands the test of time, like that ad will.

I love how we don't need to sell anything really. Just reinforce everything we've been saying since our revitalisation.

I like the ad. Only change I would have made is rather stay single than marry an opposition supporter, than marry a Crows supporter. Would have reinforced we've moved beyond #sagreat, whilst they are still stuck there. Otherwise the starting shout out to those of us who stuck fat with the club when it was all dark clouds was a great touch.

To talk a bit more on this, a great rivalry needs two great clubs, we have a good rivalry but can we make it great?? We are doing our bit, the other side needs to GROW THE PIE and think outside SA too or they might hold US back!! I too would like our rivalry with Hawks or Collingwood to be bigger and more recognised, but not at the expense of this all together, the Showdown has a fierce reputation and is a great game by any standard in the AFL.

I think that Crows "jibe" is the most light-hearted kind of banter possible in footy and rivalry, "can't marry a rival", stands the test of time, like that ad will.

I love how we don't need to sell anything really. Just reinforce everything we've been saying since our revitalisation.

To talk a bit more on this, a great rivalry needs two great clubs, we have a good rivalry but can we make it great?? We are doing our bit, the other side needs to GROW THE PIE and think outside SA too or they might hold US back!! I too would like our rivalry with Hawks or Collingwood to be bigger and more recognised, but not at the expense of this all together, the Showdown has a fierce reputation and is a great game by any standard in the AFL.

Neat post simba_ in all respects.

However, calling Port versus the Crows a 'rivalry' is a bit light on, even when it becomes 'great'.

It's somewhere between the Democrats versus the Republicans and a Spitfire versus an Me-109, with CIA versus the KGB thrown in.

At least to me it is. Anything less would be no real fun.

I dont enjoy the crows rivalry at all. There is no respect given to us and as such i will give them none. It's an unhealthy rivalry which has festered into simple dislike and even hatred. I generally steer well clear of showdowns and don't particularly enjoy the build up and aftermath.

It would be nice for some of that mad build up to at least feature something substantial on the background of the clubs, not just "they really hate each other" because it's not just like Freo vs WCE. That would generate even more support for us nation wide. Imagine the shift from "they stabbed the other clubs in the back" to "they got dogged by a rotten system" :D

It would be nice for some of that mad build up to at least feature something substantial on the background of the clubs, not just "they really hate each other" because it's not just like Freo vs WCE. That would generate even more support for us nation wide. Imagine the shift from "they stabbed the other clubs in the back" to "they got dogged by a rotten system" :D
Everyone was trying to stab the comp in the back. It was either that or death. Norwood tried to get in...now they have 3,000 members and host our preseason games.

Scary thought - if Norwood got into the AFL - KT would have been their CEO at some stage!
imagine a true Adelaide rivalry of port and Norwood in the afl.

Norwood has suffered the most with their rightful position in the afl being usurped by the cows.

Norwood has suffered the most with their rightful position in the afl being usurped by the cows.
True - but they dropped the golden chalice when they had it in their hands in 1990.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scary thought - if Norwood got into the AFL - KT would have been their CEO at some stage!
Imagine Norwood in the AFL with KT in charge and the corporate hub of Adelaide (the Eastern Suburbs) as their stronghold..
*breaks into nervous sweat*

Don't know if I'd go as far as 'rightful'. Some things need to be be taken by force.

Don't know if I'd go as far as 'rightful'. Some things need to be be taken by force.

there were only two real teams in the SANFL, the rest were just there for port and norwood to beat. If Granger didn't punch one of glenelg's players in the mouth, I would never have heard of them.

there were only two real teams in the SANFL, the rest were just there for port and norwood to beat. If Granger didn't punch one of glenelg's players in the mouth, I would never have heard of them.
If either Port or Norwood win the premiership this year than collectively the two clubs would have won more premierships than all the other SAFA/SAFL/SANFL clubs combined (note that South Adelaide shared the premiership with Victorian in 1877 #lolsharing).
Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 6.39.34 pm.png

Last edited:

post-34637-Jason-Sudeikis-shrug-reaction-mJTj.gif

post-29285-Dave-Chappell-laughing-NO-gif-HrWK.gif

I'm too young for the 1990 saga but wasn't there a school of thought that the bigger sanfl clubs (esp norwood) shouldn't have gone so hard against Port's bid for the AFL given they might have been next in line for a license?

I for one would have loved a Port, Norwood and Glenelg or Sturt selection of teams in the AFL rather than the just the crows. Mind you a true everyone against Port reprisal in the last 2 yrs has been a pleasing development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back