Unofficial Preview Pies vs Essendon (thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gault was very very timid, he stood off waiting for teammates to get the ball even though it was his ball, couldn't keep his feet, didn't really attack the packs.
PK should be given a go as third tall, couldn't be worse than Gault at the moment
Gault needs to find some mongrel in the 2s.
Absolutely no idea who Adams replaces.

In, Witts, Adems, Reid
Out, Gault, PK, Brown/Oxsly/Ramsey

3 talls is the best structure IMO. Grundy, i think will need more of a chop out. We lose nothing in the ruck with Witts. Its time we developed both players foward game. If it works, they could be dominant.

Out: Gault, Karnezis
In: Moore, Adams

That's probably what I'd do anyway, even though I want Patty to get some game time.

But probably more likely to be:

Out: Karnezis
In: Adams

If he plays well in the vfl he comes in. One area we can definately expose essendon is in the ruck. Get 2-3 goals out of a grundy-witts combo is what we should be looking for.

Ins Witts ,adams, moore ( if he plays as well as last week )

Outs gault, karnezis, goldsack

Agree with Witts he is a better ruck and forward then both White and Gault. I think people forget how good Witts can be and will be. This kid will be a gun.

Disagree with Goldy - he fits in well in defence, gives us run when we have a number of 'stoppers only' in defence. He is also our best kick in after a point at present.

In- Witts & Adams
Out- Gault & PK

Toovey out? you guys are crazy. Dont you remember the game against the Lions? Toovs is one of the best shutdown players in the game and his rebound can be valuable.
I think its hard to put value on Goldsack but its there. He is also critical if one of our key backs go down as a swing player. No way selection panel don't value them both.

Patty K did well in junk time and I'm keen to see more of him. But I think he may come out for Adams.

I like Gault in the team but thats the other option with Patty playing as a key forward as many have said here.

Ive been to all the VFL pracco matches this year and I think Freeman, Moore & Reid could do with another week or two. Reid comes back for Blues game for mine.

Agree with Witts he is a better ruck and forward then both White and Gault. I think people forget how good Witts can be and will be. This kid will be a gun.

Disagree with Goldy - he fits in well in defence, gives us run when we have a number of 'stoppers only' in defence. He is also our best kick in after a point at present.

In- Witts & Adams
Out- Gault & PK

goldsack has too many brain farts for my liking, drops simple marks, gets caught holding the ball when he shouldnt.he should be better than he is, especially at this stage of his career. Him doing the kick outs did help last night tho.

I think if moore can play really well in the vfl he should get a call up on anzac day. He has the character where he wont be hindered by the experience, but he will embrace it. Im concerned with essendon's 2 tall key forwards as well, both 200cm plus. Obviously brown and frost will start on both daniher and carlisle, but having our own 200cm with elite speed for his size ( moore ) as a back up would make me feel more comfortable.

If people want to put reids name up, i think we should let him get a month of footy in the vfl and wait until we know he is truly over the injuries that hav been holding him back.

Wouldn't be against dropping Brown for Moore. Essendon's key forwards are TALL - the 200cm Moore could be better suited to them. Brown has not been impressing me this year at all.

Ki

In- Witts & Adams
Out- Gault & PK
Kick outs were good last night. Wonders never cease!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be against dropping Brown for Moore. Essendon's key forwards are TALL - the 200cm Moore could be better suited to them. Brown has not been impressing me this year at all.
Yeah Bruce killed him last night, I mean those 2 kicks (all be it for 2 goals) were just soul destroying for Brown.:drunk:

Brown and Frost are locks, would be among the first picked each weekend until Reid and Moore are 100% ready to go, and even then they are the two stoppers you need most weeks.

No way Moore comes in for Brown in the next 18 months, he comes in for a smaller option or as a forward, or for Reid if he can't play.

Yeah Bruce killed him last night, I mean those 2 kicks (all be it for 2 goals) were just soul destroying for Brown.:drunk:

Brown and Frost are locks, would be among the first picked each weekend until Reid and Moore are 100% ready to go, and even then they are the two stoppers you need most weeks.

No way Moore comes in for Brown in the next 18 months, he comes in for a smaller option or as a forward, or for Reid if he can't play.

I hope that's not the case. I don't think Brown makes us a better team at all & both him and Frost offer nothing going the other way. Frost has gone past Brown.

I'd drop Toovey before Goldsack. Both are very similar athletes and whilst Goldsack isn't as good a defender, he isn't going to cost us 1-2 goals per game that Toovey does through stuff ups, can kick out from full back and can play forward if need be.

out: Gault, Karnezis (although would like to see him get a better run than just sub for 1 quarter)
in: Witts, Adams

It will be interesting to see what they do if Reid gets back to 100%. I prefer Frost tbh and don't think all three can play

In, Witts, Adems, Reid
Out, Gault, PK, Brown/Oxsly/Ramsey

3 talls is the best structure IMO. Grundy, i think will need more of a chop out. We lose nothing in the ruck with Witts. Its time we developed both players foward game. If it works, they could be dominant.
Oxley out you sir are :drunk:

Have no idea why people are saying "drop Gault" ....that was the best forward structure we've had for 3 years and it showed with the number of goalkickers. Gault up front gives a target and allows Clokey and Elliott space to lead into. "Billy" took three of his marks drifting across in front of Gault who was presenting straight at the ball carrier. Give it time...this stuff works like it always has.
Unfortunately someone has to be left out for Adams to come back in...Karney needs a full game after being sub...(stupid rule) so it's his turn.

ps....please can we have Crispo play on Heppell this week. 10 tackles last night...love to see Hep survive ten of those!

Have no idea why people are saying "drop Gault" ....that was the best forward structure we've had for 3 years and it showed with the number of goalkickers. Gault up front gives a target and allows Clokey and Elliott space to lead into. "Billy" took three of his marks drifting across in front of Gault who was presenting straight at the ball carrier. Give it time...this stuff works like it always has.
Unfortunately someone has to be left out for Adams to come back in...Karney needs a full game after being sub...(stupid rule) so it's his turn.

ps....please can we have Crispo play on Heppell this week. 10 tackles last night...love to see Hep survive ten of those!

I'm not as convinced on Gault as others, he goes missing for far too much of the game.

We had a stupid amount of inside 50s last night and he lost the contest a lot of the time the ball was directed his way, out pointed 1v1.

I agree he needs an extended run, sink or swim style 5 games plus. Career defining year for him imo.

I don't think PK should go out. He showed a fair bit when he came on and what's more, he is as much of a Collingwood fan as any of us. He has been since childhood. He would know what this game means and will step up accordingly. I'm looking at Seedsman for a big game too. He looks like he's starting to find some touch again after a limited preseason.

Yes this, Crispo and Varcoe nearly 20 tackles combined.
We are getting some grunt back with this and Adams, Grundy and Williams too.
We have lacked this for a few years and great to see us punish players when the opportunity presents.

We seem to have found our spark with intensity again, I just hope the Adelaide game was due to fatigue from the Brisbane game. Time will tell as we look so much better with the pressure.

Adams has to come in. He is the only certain change. Who he replaces I don't know. Expectations for next week on the back of this win are too high. Essendon will be nothing like St Kilda were. They will be much more like Adelaide were. In the context of our season, a loss on Anzac day, unpleasant as it will be, is not that significant. If we see the effort maintained, as it was against Adelaide, we should be happy. A win would be an absolute bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back