Unofficial Preview Changes/prematch discussion vs Hawthorn (Out: Frog/In: JMac)

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting off-field stuff to the side.

Next year we should be transitioning older players old and younger replacements in.

Maj probably needs another 8ish games this year.

I would be very interested to see how a forward line worked with Daw and Brown, Maj would have played more footy with him than any others in our current forward set up.
Overall it will be interesting to see the transition of not just these two, but others.

On a slightly different note, I found myself recalling Lou Richards' (Or Drew Morphett's) reference to us in the late '70s/early 80's as "the foreign legion" with all the interstate players playing for us. It felt a bit like that with Nahas, Waite, Higgins (and Dal when he's there) playing for us. Enjoying seeing them in the royal blue and white, but at the same time it's the quick rise in the number of 'imports' that feels a bit different.

Harvey can't replicate what Nahas has been doing, as that would require laying a tackle.
Its also pressure acts, so chasing etc. Boomer had more of those yesterday than Turner and Nahas.

In: Wells
Out: Turner

Boomer moves to the forward line
Hansen - not match fit after just 3 quarters in the VFL
McDonald/ MacMillan - agree that both are better players than Jacobs, but neither have played consistently better than Jacob's last two weeks. LMac can come in for Bastinac and MacMillan can prove himself in the VFL.

Basti is a grey area. He pops up with a good goal here and there and a few plays yesterday really started our run with a timed dodge and smart handball.

Can be damaging if consistent

Gibson has to go. I know he's a great endurance runner and all that, but he butchers the ball so much and its costly. Maybe we wouldn't need his endurance if there weren't as many turnovers to begin with? Wells to replace.

And Kanye is great to have, and will get his chance, but would be the weakest link at the moment for Mcdonald to return. Both tough competitors.

I'd love to see Dumont stay and play a whole match. I'd also love to see MacMillan back in, but via the 2s. So for another week, trent hangs in.

I don't want to see any of Wright, Jacobs or Nahas make way for anyone yet. They are more than earning their spots right now.

It's no secret our starts are rubbish so far this year with our total 1st qtr goals at 10:8 over the first 4 Rounds, but what I found interesting is that Hawthorn have actually been worse kicking 7:11. Even in their Round 1 annihilation of Geelong they still lost the first qtr by a goal.

We lose in the Against column conceding the opposition 16:12 compared with Hawthorn' s 16:8.

Gibson has to go. I know he's a great endurance runner and all that, but he butchers the ball so much and its costly. Maybe we wouldn't need his endurance if there weren't as many turnovers to begin with? Wells to replace.

And Kanye is great to have, and will get his chance, but would be the weakest link at the moment for Mcdonald to return. Both tough competitors.

I'd love to see Dumont stay and play a whole match. I'd also love to see MacMillan back in, but via the 2s. So for another week, trent hangs in.

I don't want to see any of Wright, Jacobs or Nahas make way for anyone yet. They are more than earning their spots right now.
You relate gut running to turnovers? What?

Won't happen and shouldn't happen. We can't replace his run. A lot of hate for Gibbo on here.

I don't hate gibbo, never gunning for him to be dropped. But when there are options coming back to the team, there needs to be reasoned debate on who makes way.

Eg I'm turners biggest fan, but on current form and output, he'd make way for someone else who has proved they deserve a spot. This is a great position to be in

Won't happen and shouldn't happen. We can't replace his run. A lot of hate for Gibbo on here.

As someone who sees the value he brings to the side, I can normally live with his disposal.

However, with Wood in the side now, I see him as the better option.

If was up to me....which thankfully it never is...:oops:

in McDonald
out Gibson

I just love Kayne's endeavour and the pressure he brings. He sets a standard in this area. For mine he stays.

Wells? I just don't know. I can see this lingering for another 6 weeks. Do you bring him back if he is not 100% against a Hawthorn that will be looking to rip hearts out?

He brings a tonne of value, he really does. Not hating on gibbo at all.
We just need good ball users. Maybe dal and wells being out has me rattled, I dunno. Gibbo is great when he can compliment our already reasonable ball using brigade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't hate gibbo, never gunning for him to be dropped. But when there are options coming back to the team, there needs to be reasoned debate on who makes way.

Eg I'm turners biggest fan, but on current form and output, he'd make way for someone else who has proved they deserve a spot. This is a great position to be in
I understand there are more talented players returning but if you are replacing someone they have to be able to cover what they bring. If LMac, JMac or Wellsy had Gibbo's gut running ability to find space then by all means drop him. Unfortunately they don't yet. It's a case of team balance.

When we are butchering the ball as much as we are at the moment it highlights Sams shortcomings.

Simply put when we are on we can afford a little shakiness, when we are off, then something has to give.

Is Wood a natural replacement for Gibson?.. He is our next best endurance runner..

I understand there are more talented players returning but if you are replacing someone they have to be able to cover what they bring. If LMac, JMac or Wellsy had Gibbo's gut running ability to find space then by all means drop him. Unfortunately they don't yet. It's a case of team balance.

Get what ur saying. But look at it this way, does gibson have the ball using ability of Wells yet?

Out; Turner, Bastinac (unlucky)
In; Wells, McDonald

Assuming Hansen and JMac not fit.

Gibson lucky. Gets another week to perform or he goes back to VFL.

I'd like Dumont to play against the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back