Leppitsch in clash with player

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, is there a problem raising a kid with those traits?
Nah, just someone earnestly using the term "selfie generation". Generational angst is a dead end street.
Take this quote from ancient Greece often attributed to Socrates:
"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer
rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their
legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."​

I think those are all admirable traits to want to impress onto your child but I think respect is a two way street between all people no matter what age they are or what working relationship they have and I'd argue that those traits could be taught without violence or intimidation.

This O'Brien guy sounds like a real flog of the highest order, but grabbing him around the throat is not the way to go about it. Better ways to handle the likes of him, I suggest telling him to pack his bags if he wants to act like that.

I think every parent would love to raise their kids with those traits. The practicality of doing so on a large scale would be questionable. It could be said that the parents' failure to do so created the "selfie generation".
You mean kids these days lack the respect that their parents remember having? Except that their parents parents felt the exact same way? And then their parents parents parents...

More of a worry is why the story is public.
Because Brisbane is leaking like a sieve - both on and off the field - and the AFL needs to step in ala. Melbourne 2013 immediately.

I have...not sure why you'd want to physically assault them unless you don't know how to express yourself to be completely honest.

I'm not sure why you'd act like a tool when your Obriens age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You clearly haven't had to work with kid's coming up through junior footy these days.
I coach two teams this year. We'd all love to give someone a clip behind the ears when they aren't listening, but the appropriate response is isolation and talking. Authority can only be granted to a certain extent, it has to be earned beyond that. Either you do it through intimidation, or you plug away with emotional maturity and do the right thing.

And for those not aware, Zac O'Brien was rookied by Brisbane after playing a half-decent season with Bendigo Bombers 2 years ago. Gotten way ahead of himself the lad.

Is also 24 years old.

Sounds like he'll struggle to stay on the list past this season.

Really poor form by Leppa. His man management skills are deplorable if he needs to revert to bullying a player in the reserves at half time. Time to move on Leppa if you think this is an appropriate response.

Gotta love people jumping on Leppa like they know the whole story, how are you to now that it was big bad Justin Leppitsch completely wrong and poor little Zac O'Brien has done no wrong.
For all we know this could have been the last straw and not the first time it has been an issue of him disrespecting his coaches.
As far as I'm concerened a non issue and blown out of proportion, so what if he grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him down.

Turning into a nightmare up there. Fighting between coaches and players, overweight important players and injuries add Rockliff and Dayne Beams to this list for this week. Nothing is working

Gotta love people jumping on Leppa like they know the whole story, how are you to now that it was big bad Justin Leppitsch completely wrong and poor little Zac O'Brien has done no wrong.
For all we know this could have been the last straw and not the first time it has been an issue of him disrespecting his coaches.
As far as I'm concerened a non issue and blown out of proportion, so what if he grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him down.

Well I'd like to think that Leppa with seniority and experience on his side would make better decisions on managing players. Should have addressed the issue behind closed doors one on one after the game. Poor choice by Leppa frankly regardless of the circumstances

It doesn't matter if it's the first or fifteenth time. The coach should not be meeting with players to discuss their behaviour, losing there s**t and manhandling them. There are more appropriate ways to enforce standards and maintain discipline.

Please, I think manhandling is a bit over the top. From reports he grabbed him by the collar and pulled took him from bench he was standing on.
Hardly manhandling, over the top yes but not worth the outcry from some people imho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back