Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollie wines listed as 1-2 weeks. :thumbsu:

"Ollie Wines will miss Sunday's clash, but the club said he could be a surprise inclusion the following week against the Brisbane Lions after a faster than expected recovery from a wrist injury. Wines appeared in fearsome touch at training on Tuesday with his arm in a guard, crashing into a tackling bag while restrained by a bungee rope."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-05/inform-ryder-wants-more-impact-on-games

Ollie wines listed as 1-2 weeks. :thumbsu:

"Ollie Wines will miss Sunday's clash, but the club said he could be a surprise inclusion the following week against the Brisbane Lions after a faster than expected recovery from a wrist injury. Wines appeared in fearsome touch at training on Tuesday with his arm in a guard, crashing into a tackling bag while restrained by a bungee rope."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-05/inform-ryder-wants-more-impact-on-games
Doctor Feel. Doctor of good news, Feel Good News ! :p

Will we be 7 and 2 or 6 and 3 in 4 weeks time?
Went through the fixture with my analytic daughter, cant see us missing top four end of season.

Rick your new avatar did my head in, i didn't know who you were.

130547_9edd10ff73f934ed929b89e22f3c6601.jpg

This been posted yet?
I think it needs to grow on me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/nu...ve-of-inside-50s/story-fndv8s6g-1227341695560
Numbers crunch: Port Adelaide forced to defy the odds under tidal wave of inside-50s
ALIPATE Carlile calls it “the chicken and the egg’’ situation.

Port Adelaide is winning but it is not playing the brand of football it strives for.
“I think the boys have decided we need a bit of practice defending, so they’re just letting the ball come down to us,’’ the Power key defender joked of the club rewriting the records books in its past two games against Hawthorn and Adelaide.
“No, in all seriousness we are well aware of the inside-50 count against us and it is something we are going to have to work on because Kenny (coach Ken Hinkley) said we just can’t keep having to defend like this.
More .....
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/nu...ve-of-inside-50s/story-fndv8s6g-1227341695560

Champion Data and David King talking about Port's inside 50 count the last few weeks, starts at 6.45

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion Data and David King talking about Port's inside 50 count the last few weeks, starts at 9.45
Carlile not in front of McGovern for AA at this stage?

Champion Data and David King talking about Port's inside 50 count the last few weeks, starts at 9.45
At around 10:30 one of the analysist says

Since 1999, ie when Champion Data probably started Inside 50 stats, There has been 131 games when the inside differential has been - 29 or greater and only 3 teams have won. We have done it twice in the last 2 games. It's unsustainable especially away from AO.

It begs the question - why are out midfielders getting the votes then and not our defenders? From the coaches

Round 5 v Crows
9 Robbie Gray (PA)
6 Patrick Dangerfield (Adel)
6 Jay Schulz (PA)
5 Travis Boak (PA)
3 Eddie Betts (Adel)
1 Alipate Carlile (PA)

Round 4 v Hawthorn
8 Jay Schulz (PA)
7 Travis Boak (PA)
5 Isaac Smith (Haw)
5 Chad Wingard (PA)
3 Alipate Carlile (PA)
1 Taylor Duryea (Haw)
1 Josh Gibson (Haw)

McGovern's been a bit impressive, however look at the quality of the opposition. Carlile should have him covered easily by season's end.

There's something to be said about great defenders playing in a team that has a good team defense as a whole becoming obfuscated compared to a player who is virtually the sole man in defense for another team. Its a bit like how easy it was to point to Nathan Jones as a good midfielder when he was really the only midfielder doing a damn thing in the Melbourne team during the Neeld circus.

The media tends to be a bit simple in that regard when it comes to who is the best at any given time. Hence why so often players become underrated (or even missed entirely) for the actual work they do, just because they happen to have competent/fit teammates to work with.

It makes it fairly pointless worrying about who the media thinks is the best, as we all have players to compare to in our own teams who we think at least stack up to the media's opinion, yet don't get a look in because they're not the fashionable or easily identifiable option.

There's something to be said about great defenders playing in a team that has a good team defense as a whole becoming obfuscated compared to a player who is virtually the sole man in defense for another team. Its a bit like how easy it was to point to Nathan Jones as a good midfielder when he was really the only midfielder doing a damn thing in the Melbourne team during the Neeld circus.

The media tends to be a bit simple in that regard when it comes to who is the best at any given time. Hence why so often players become underrated (or even missed entirely) for the actual work they do, just because they happen to have competent/fit teammates to work with.

It makes it fairly pointless worrying about who the media thinks is the best, as we all have players to compare to in our own teams who we think at least stack up to the media's opinion, yet don't get a look in because they're not the fashionable or easily identifiable option.
Unfortunately to many of the media sit on All Oz selection panel and the ones who arent in the media and dont watch many games are heavily influenced by the media.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-23/power-legend-appointed-all-australian-selector-
PORT Adelaide legend Warren Tredrea has been appointed as an All Australian selector, AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans confirmed on Wednesday. Tredrea, who was inducted into the AFL Hall Of Fame last month, takes the place vacated by Mark Ricciuto. Ricciuto resigned from his position on the committee to joint the Adelaide Crows' board.

The nine-man All Australian selection panel consists of Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Evans, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Tredrea.The panel, along with Kevin Sheehan, also chooses the winner of the NAB AFL Rising Star Award.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-23/power-legend-appointed-all-australian-selector-

At around 10:30 one of the analysist says

Since 1999, ie when Champion Data probably started Inside 50 stats, There has been 131 games when the inside differential has been - 29 or greater and only 3 teams have won. We have done it twice in the last 2 games. It's unsustainable especially away from AO.

It begs the question - why are out midfielders getting the votes then and not our defenders? From the coaches

Round 5 v Crows
9 Robbie Gray (PA)
6 Patrick Dangerfield (Adel)
6 Jay Schulz (PA)
5 Travis Boak (PA)
3 Eddie Betts (Adel)
1 Alipate Carlile (PA)

Round 4 v Hawthorn
8 Jay Schulz (PA)
7 Travis Boak (PA)
5 Isaac Smith (Haw)
5 Chad Wingard (PA)
3 Alipate Carlile (PA)
1 Taylor Duryea (Haw)
1 Josh Gibson (Haw)

Again, I think the quality of the inside 50s is an issue. We had far more inside 50s against Sydney, but we couldn't hit a target to save our lives.

We're a counter attacking side. To use a soccer analogy, we're the kind of side that wins 3-1 despite having 38% possession and 50% of the game played in our own third. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. It doesn't line up with what wins football games, historically, but our game is to force turnovers then break, with guys like Ebert, White and Boak running into space ahead of the ball and creating easy goals.

Yes, we need to lower the amount of I50s that we're conceding, but we need to change our thinking a bit about how important the I50 stat on it's own is. I'd say, not very. Effective I50s, Marks inside 50 and more specifically, where those marks are taken, are far more important. Our inside 50s are top quality, and we are able to force opposition teams to either slam it on the boot to contests or kick deep into the pocket. As soon as the ball is in dispute, we win it and we launch the slingshot.

We have one of the best all-round defences in the league. We win the ball, we move it out, we find our runners through the middle who have gotten into space. It's the perfect gameplan for the long and narrow Adelaide Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back