Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one was.

As an aside, I rarely watch any AFL outside of Port games but one fixture that I usually do make an effort to watch is the WA derby. To me, the derbies and showdowns represent the best of the modern AFL in terms of passionate and enduring rivalries and I think it is scandalous that they don't get more exposure on free tv.

There are of course other rivalries in the AFL that are sometimes worth watching such as Port-Brisbane and Sydney-West Coast a few years ago and Hawthorn-Geelong more recently but these tend to be more transient because they are based on temporary form more than anything else.

In a way it's a pragmatic decision by the AFL, killing numerous birds with one stone:

1. Game is going to be shown in WA on FTA, irrespective of whether or not it's on Fox Footy.
2. The 2.30pm timeslot suits WA audiences. This timeslot usually generates pretty poor crowds and interest in Melbourne.
3. Both clubs have very much WA-centric sponsors, they aren't going to say no to national exposure but their target market is clearly inside WA so aren't exactly going to jump up and down about not getting national airtime.

Agree that it's definitely a decision made in the best interest of Victorian clubs, but can understand it from a commercial perspective.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-04-29/inside-alberton-april-29-2015

11081351_1570690943209592_1285740070015807040_n.jpg

they must be awesome seats if Lobbe, Ryder and Trengove can be comftorable on a flight to Perth!!

P.S. Lobbe on the flight to Perth in R1? Seems odd, I guess he is a Vice Captain but he was also injured?

I could see Pittard making the transition to coach.
Agree.

He'll take an assistant coaching job in 2026 with the new Tassie Beavers expansion team and serve a two year apprenticeship before becoming senior coach at Port Adelaide in 2028, replacing Ken Hinkley who rides off into the sunset, having won 10 premierships during his 15 year tenure at Port.

https://soundcloud.com/fiveaa/ken-hinkley-29415#new-timed-comment-at-30695
The link posted elsewhere, but I wanted to make a point of what Ken says at the 4.30min mark regarding big Lobbe:
"I missed him more that players did" .... he then goes on to explain how important Lobbe is out there, that Ken uses him as the main "goto" man for messages at times because Boak is often being heavily tagged. Also fascinating how Ken explains what Lobbe is able to do out there. How good it is to have him back!!!

Last year there was a thread about who are our most important players that we cant do without and most wrote, me included Lobbe, Trengove and Schulz in that order. Looks like the boss agrees with a lot on here.

Thought this article about Brad Ebert talking to Andre Agassi about fitness and preparation was an interesting read. Killer Cahill, working to keep Port's competitive advantage.

Hello Andre Agassi speaking
“I gave him a call-up one morning and just sat there for an hour or so having a chat,” Ebert said.
“He was brilliant in just the way he talked about his preparation, the way he went into games and the way he sees professional sport.
“I was a little bit nervous, to be honest. When you get the chance to speak to a legend of a sport like that it’s pretty nerve wracking, so the first couple of questions were a bit tense.”
Hello Andre Agassi speaking

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ho...e-powers-methods/story-fndv8s6g-1227331910074
How Crows, Fremantle and Western Bulldogs are copying some of the Power’s methods
YOU can hear it at Port Adelaide training on a weekly basis. “It’s funny to see the Crows play like Port Adelaide”.

Behind closed doors, the talk at Alberton is how Phil Walsh has taken the Port style across to West Lakes.
There are such strong similarities between the clubs that Port great Kane Cornes this week suggested the Power knew every Crows move — because each had originated at Alberton.
The similarities include:
More..........
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ho...e-powers-methods/story-fndv8s6g-1227331910074

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people like to look for reasons to hate on players but a consensus around team boards is that Gray "throws" a lot and doesn't handball properly.

If there is such a thing, I think Gray has the fastest handball in the game which tricks a lot of eyes.

Kenny is such a straight shooter you know he's not taking the piss or doing a Mourinho when he...and following on so do the rest of the boys... talk about their concern in regards to the amount of inside 50s being given up.

I don't get it, if the defence is holding up and not giving up a score then it's actually another strength to our game as it means we're opening up space for the counter and an easy shot at goal.

Sure I'd be worried if Carlton came over and managed 90 inside 50s against us but against sides that can play and have a decent mid it's only a problem if our defence is out gunned which it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back