Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the attempt at chronological order but you messed up those last three. Good effort though. I'm really proud of you

calvinhobbes1.jpg

Saturday night > Saturday twilight > Saturday afternoon > Friday night >Sunday afternoon > Sunday twilight

I don't really want to be doing anything on a Sunday evening.... However I will be in our box this Sunday getting shit faced cause you can't not in a corporate box.

Just watching the Hawks replay, geez if Hombsch isn't in the AA team by the end of the year something is seriously wrong. Its amazing to think he's played less than 50 games. He has the composure of a 150+ game player. Honestly cannot think of a defender in the AFL that I'd take over Hombschy

Just about every premiership team worth its salt has relied on a very good third-up defender with immaculate play-reading skills to arrive at and kill contests whenever they arose.

- West Coast 92/94 had John Worsfold

- Carlton 95 had Peter Dean and Ang Christou

- North 96/99 had Glenn Archer

- Adelaide 97/98 had Ben Hart

- Essendon 1897/1993/2000 had Dustin Fletcher

- Brisbane 01-03 had Darryl White

- Port 04 had Chad Cornes and Brett Montgomery

- WCE 06 had Brett Jones and Daniel Chick

- Sydney 05 had Leo Barry

- Geelong 07/09 had Tom Harley and Darren Milburn

- Hawthorn 08 had Campbell Brown and Luke Hodge

- Collingwood 10 had Nick Maxwell

- Hawthorn 13/14 have Josh Gibson and Luke Hodge

And so on and such and such. What makes Hombsch all the more outrageous is that because of his size and athleticism he's just as adroit in one-on-one contests where a lot of those listed above could be exposed. Chuck in his above average left foot and you've got the complete defender.

I don't think a WA Derby has ever been shown on free to air TV in SA. I can't remember ever watching one.
The first one was.

As an aside, I rarely watch any AFL outside of Port games but one fixture that I usually do make an effort to watch is the WA derby. To me, the derbies and showdowns represent the best of the modern AFL in terms of passionate and enduring rivalries and I think it is scandalous that they don't get more exposure on free tv.

There are of course other rivalries in the AFL that are sometimes worth watching such as Port-Brisbane and Sydney-West Coast a few years ago and Hawthorn-Geelong more recently but these tend to be more transient because they are based on temporary form more than anything else.

Just about every premiership team worth its salt has relied on a very good third-up defender with immaculate play-reading skills to arrive at and kill contests whenever they arose.

- West Coast 92/94 had John Worsfold

- Carlton 95 had Peter Dean and Ang Christou

- North 96/99 had Glenn Archer

- Adelaide 97/98 had Ben Hart

- Essendon 1897/1993/2000 had Dustin Fletcher

- Brisbane 01-03 had Darryl White

- Port 04 had Chad Cornes and Brett Montgomery

- WCE 06 had Brett Jones and Daniel Chick

- Sydney 05 had Leo Barry

- Geelong 07/09 had Tom Harley and Darren Milburn

- Hawthorn 08 had Campbell Brown and Luke Hodge

- Collingwood 10 had Nick Maxwell

- Hawthorn 13/14 have Josh Gibson and Luke Hodge

And so on and such and such. What makes Hombsch all the more outrageous is that because of his size and athleticism he's just as adroit in one-on-one contests where a lot of those listed above could be exposed. Chuck in his above average left foot and you've got the complete defender.
Very true and with Jonas, is definitely an unsung and underrated defender. There was a piece of play in the second quarter when he was running backwards into the contest, he didn't take the mark but phenomenal courage and backing out just never entered his mind, no easy feat with the likes of Roughy, McEvoy, Gunston crashing the pack.

Would be interested to see if Kenny mixes him up and plays him up forward for a game and give Clurey a game down back. Hombschy has all the attributes of a key forward, size, strength and a great contested mark. Don't wanna mess with the young lad's game but wouldn't be surprised to see it tried in a game later in the season

Bruest did bugger all until the ball fell in his lap late in the last and he ran into goal. That shows how good The Hitman is.

Hombsch was tried forward for a stint against Essendon in 2013 and looked totally lost. The last thing we should be thinking is putting him forward when he's the perfect defender.

He's a smart enough and talented enough footballer to adapt to either end of the ground if given time. But you're absolutely right. He's an absolute jet of a defender and he must never be moved. One of the foundations of our back 6.

Love the idea of Thursday nights too. Already booked holidays so I can go to Sydney for the SCG Thursday night game and not have to be up for work after the Adelaide Oval one against Collongwood a week later.
I've just received the good news from my employer that the proposed "strategy day" in Sydney has been arranged, as per my suggestion, for Thursday, 2 July, so it's SCG here I come!

My last trip there was in 2002 when Jared Poulton kicked the winning goal after the siren. I even got interviewed on the Port website after the game!

And finally, I note that with this post I have reached the 1,000 post milestone - to do so after 4 years on BF is no doubt a pace that Geoff Boycott would be proud of.

I've just received the good news from my employer that the proposed "strategy day" in Sydney has been arranged, as per my suggestion, for Thursday, 2 July, so it's SCG here I come!

My last trip there was in 2002 when Jared Poulton kicked the winning goal after the siren. I even got interviewed on the Port website after the game!

And finally, I note that with this post I have reached the 1,000 post milestone - to do so after 4 years on BF is no doubt a pace that Geoff Boycott would be proud of.
I've never seen Port lose at the scg :)....went 2006
yet to crack 500 posts in 10 years ...your gilchrist to my boycott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good coaches almost exclusively play on the half back line

So Pittard, Broadbent or Trengove.
Not convinced on Pittard. He's got a lot of hobbies, including graphic design as you know, outside of football and he has stated publicly that he needs a lot of breaks from it to take his mind off it. He has a good footy mind, as Paul Roos would attest, but not sure if he would want to.

Trengove is a ****ing ripper bloke though, he loves people, and he loves to lead. Could definitely see him doing it.

Good coaches almost exclusively play on the half back line

So Pittard, Broadbent or Trengove.

I could see Pittard making the transition to coach.

... He's got a lot of hobbies, including graphic design as you know, ...

I read this the other day. Does anyone know where he did his work experience stint? Was it an agency?

Just watching the Hawks replay, geez if Hombsch isn't in the AA team by the end of the year something is seriously wrong. Its amazing to think he's played less than 50 games. He has the composure of a 150+ game player. Honestly cannot think of a defender in the AFL that I'd take over Hombschy
And the other great thing about Hombsch is the fact that GWS no longer have him. The Giants are developing into a pretty good unit as things stand - if they still had Hombsch, they'd be scary good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back