Universal Love Nathan Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to hear people's thoughts on his game last Saturday night and whether he was best on. 37 disposals is certainly impressive. A huge proportion of them were handballs (mid twenties). Looked like he was under instruction to handball more? For me best on was Walters as his goals came at crucial times and broke the back of Nth Melb. I'd have him maybe getting the 2 or 1 vote. I was just surprised he got the full votes from the coaches, hence the question above. I do acknowledge he had a few goal assists to be fair though.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on his game last Saturday night and whether he was best on. 37 disposals is certainly impressive. A huge proportion of them were handballs (mid twenties). Looked like he was under instruction to handball more? For me best on was Walters as his goals came at crucial times and broke the back of Nth Melb. I'd have him maybe getting the 2 or 1 vote. I was just surprised he got the full votes from the coaches, hence the question above. I do acknowledge he had a few goal assists to be fair though.
Fyfe is like orgasms. Always great but sometimes they are are spectacular. Last week was a run of the mill orgasm for mine.

Unless his role was specifically to draw players then handball off instead of his usual bullock and kick

Nat just made so much happen. I reckon the handball thing was a tactic knowing he was going to be gang tackled by two or three players at a time. This left free dockers around him to receive the handpass.

We discussed this as a strategy Freo used in the Geelong game RD2. Freo only had one player do the tackling while others focussed on the potential receiver. Other teams this year have done precisely the opposite with three or more trying to drag Nat down in packs.

I also had lachie as the closest to Nat for BOG honours.

Stats only tell half a story. A rushed handball to someone under pressure is one thing, but a balanced handball from out of a pressure situation to someone moving into space is invaluable.
This year Fyfe (and Mundy and Lachie) are producing the kinds of handballs from out of traffic that are giving our outside runners a chance to do their stuff.
If Fyfe ended up like a Diesel Williams style handballer I could live with it.

Coaches gave him 10/10.

He didn't do the spectacular stuff but he set it up for the team at the coalface. The umps have their favourites and Fyfe is one of them. He gets the 3 brownlow votes too.

It was his 11 clearances that made him best on, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily the best player in the game at the moment and should maintain that mantle even after Gary Ablett Jnr returns. Dominates in perhaps the most important area of the game in contested marking. Every time these days it seems whenever you see the ball heading in Fyfe's direction and he's one on one with any other defender almost, you're not thinking "I hope he brings this to ground", your're thinking "alright, who's the next option upfield".

Although I might go against the grain and say that I thought Neale had the visibly better game that I think the umps will go for on Saturday night. Even in congestion he always seemed to be in plenty of space, got plenty of it as well and was able to get more decisive kicks inside 50. Fyfe played the better game with polished handballs in traffic that just set up the play better than a double pumped Jonathon Thurston cut out pass (showing my Brisbaneness with that reference) and often dragged 2 or 3 midfielders with him, I think the umps probably would've noticed Neale a bit more.

Just got this email from my mum. At 62 years of age she's still all class:

dad and i , doug and yvonne are flying out to Adelaide on Thursday, have a date with the Freo dockers at Adelaide, eat your heart out , might flash something at Fyfe, do you think he will notice. lol Won the footy tipping at the family store, $200 and dad told everyone he picked it for me, still full of s**t. Mum

When I have the time I'll extract clips of Fyfe marks, goals, plays over the years that stood out. This one is one of my favourites, from his second game:

Holy crap he looks like a different person! It's crazy how much changes in 5 years. Even Mayne and Barlow look a bit different. Barlow has less hair and Mayne has blonder hair :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back