Mega Thread 2015 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Alex Pearce would still be very sore. He was on a kamikaze mission a few times against the Dogs.

I saw him running a few laps and it seems certain it is because he won't be playing this week. ( anywhere ).

There was basic ball movement drills by several small groups of players. It seemed to be merely for the sake of quick handballing, to close by players. Not earth shattering stuff.

Luke was running freely with no strapping and looks certain to be named for North game.
I was focussed on Gu to see if there was any signals he could get a call up but it was all meh. Crozier however, looked like he had plenty of bounce about him and could be a smokey to play.

I still think Gu will get a run this week and wouldn't be surprised if we name three INS; Luke, Gu and Croz.

Last edited:
I saw him running a few laps and it seems certain it is because he won't be playing this week. ( anywhere ).

There was basic ball movement drills by several small groups of players. It seemed to be merely for the sake of quick handballing to close by players. Not earth shattering stuff.

Luke was running freely with no strapping and looks certain to be named for North game.
I was focussed on Gu to see if there was any signals he could get a call up but it was all meh. Crozier however, looked like he had plenty of bounce about him and could be a smokey to play.

I still think Gu will get a run this week and wouldn't be surprised if we name three INS; Luke, Gu and Croz.
I think you might be right, or maybe Deboer for Croz

they will as always name the ins and not all outs

IN THE 25:Croz,Gu,DeBoer Luke

out: Alex

whether sheridan is still in god knows, i say bring gu for shero in starting line up and Shero as sub.

to be honest i would love to see gu come in the starting line up as he is great defensively And WORTH 1-2 goals.

Q comes between sherro and deboer? Sherro has pace but ox has tackling prowess. Sherro adds potential goals ox doesnt so id say sherro as sub.

There was basic ball movement drills by several small groups of players. It seemed to be merely for the sake of quick handballing to close by players. Not earth shattering stuff.

Yeah, not surprising at all. I mentioned as much in the review thread last Sunday that I'd be surprised if he played anywhere this week after the battering he gave himself. He's young and he's got to pace himself. History shows that those big hits have a cumulative effect - look at how Nick at the Saints is going and the unfortunate way Brown finished his last few years.

Yeah, not surprising at all. I mentioned as much in the review thread last Sunday that I'd be surprised if he played anywhere this week after the battering he gave himself. He's young and he's got to pace himself. History shows that those big hits have a cumulative effect - look at how Nick at the Saints is going and the unfortunate way Brown finished his last few years.

Get what you're saying but those guys also played a hell of a lot of footy and heaps of finals footy. He was slightly too kamikaze like for me at one point. I think part of that will be fixed as he understands positioning and gains confidence and strength though. Handy couple of games from Pearce though. Will be good to get another 5-7 in this year.

Yeah, the AFL website had him listed as such. I thought it may have been his head that took the knocks, either way, not surprised he's out.
There was definitely one bit towards the end of the game that he flew over a pack, landed pretty hard on his back & was in the hands of the trainers for a while afterwards so really not surprised that's his issue. Still played on like a trooper after that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One day I'll be in the background in my purple bikini when they take photos of the guys in those crazy budgie smugglers.

You could just take a photo now and Photoshop yourself into a pic.

Beautiful, though crisp, in Freo this morning. looked to be the full squad on the track. Pav did a low key session away from the main group before joining in the group exercises and match sim. Pearce the youngest churned out laps as did Silvagni. Looks like all contenders for a spot are F&A. Session was short and sharp.

A few of the happy snaps by FFC for the non-Facebookers:

11206024_10153055184279317_6264945764842191204_n.jpg

Take that Sauce

11059157_10153055184879317_550215621230666962_n.jpg

Pav looking to rock SA

22396_10153055184304317_3630718735391579027_n.jpg

if the leagues allowing goals from outside the boundary (eh Jamie) then Ballas might as well practice 'em! :)

Got down to training this morning too, missed the early part which yakamoto has covered. As yaka said, was fairly short and sharp with little real news to provide. Wasn't going to bother with a report to be honest but for those interstate/overseas who might like a little overview I'll add my two cents.

When I got there they were focussing predominantly on half field match sims with an obvious focus from RTB on positioning, no distinct seniors/juniors group, a good mix of all. At times they were spread out into as many as 3 separate groups. Luke looks fine and Pav trained strongly from what I saw, as did Dawson. Full compliment besides SCOS who I saw doing laps when I arrived, and as mentioned A.Pearce also doing laps solo after SCOS had departed inside. No sign of Apeness but that is to be expected with the severity his injury. DeLuca, Langdon, JB and Vandal not involved in match sims at one point later in the session, doing short sprints along the carpark side of the boundary in between moments of watching intently with S.LLoyd giving some information on what to look for and what the relevant "teams" (yellow bibs/red bibs etc) should have been doing.

Ross quite vocal during sims, corrected Zarke at one point for positioning too close to the boundary during a throw in simulation, wanted him more in board, apparently "was lost out there". An interesting insight. Man he is a hard task master. Overall the sims seemed very slick and polished.

Towards the end of the session the group moved to a passing inside 50 drill, with Ross directing individuals at times to have shots on goal. Interesting one was Suban, had 20 push ups on the line for his teammates (funnily enough no one started before he had his shot!) Missed to the far side and cost his team said push ups. He's clearly not confident with his shots on goal at the moment, although his action looks pretty good to the uneducated like myself. To bge fair somebody else missed too if I recall correctly but they weren't on the sh*t list.

Side note, Rog Hayden got the strangest rucking pads I've ever seen out (strapped onto his back with arms on it, classic!) for blokes to practice jumping off him for "contested marks", was a personal highlight.

Fyfe and Tabs last off the ground from the senior group, both working on contested marking for about 10 mins. Says a helluva lot about where Fyfe's head is at, personally I think a couple others (Suban etc) could probably benefit from putting in the extra time without rigid structure to work on things that are troubling them, not sure why Fyfe is the only one, although I spose it says more about his determination than it does about a laidback approach from others.

Sorry, a lot of text for not a lot of info but just wanted to add a little for those unable to attend who may have been interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back