Does Boyd cop a free ride?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Is it just me or does Boyd get a free ride?

The guy moved down south 1 year into his rookie contract (breaking it) for a mill a year (or there abouts)

Looking at his last 2 games. He has had 1 possession against the demons and this week when his club was playing all over the giants could only get one goal.

Where as other rookies or kids on much smaller salaries (eg Scully) are being belted piller to post for poor performances this tall timber seems to be able to get away with anything.
Even going so far as to have the media come out and say he needs rest and to protect him. No other top dollar player gets this protection...

The guy moved down south 1 year into his rookie contract (breaking it) for a mill a year (or there abouts)

Looking at his last 2 games. He has had 1 possession against the demons and this week when his club was playing all over the giants could only get one goal.

Where as other rookies or kids on much smaller salaries (eg Scully) are being belted piller to post for poor performances this tall timber seems to be able to get away with anything.
Even going so far as to have the media come out and say he needs rest and to protect him. No other top dollar player gets this protection...

Wow the tears taste delicious!!!!

Judging by his performance this year so far, you probably could have started this thread a few weeks later and had more discussion. I don't get the feeling he's about to break out any time soon.

No, he doesn't get a free ride. Cops plenty of criticism. Doesn't deserve his contract, Bulldogs were stupid for getting him (after years of "they need a key forward!") and countless other statements made. He's a 2nd year key forward. They take time. Tom Hawkins took a while too, and he started out in a pretty damn good side...not every KF is a Buddy/Cameron.

I agree. GWS I still believe are closer to a finals appearance than Bulldogs but atm I rate other forwards in that age bracket better than him, maybe I'm being harsh and might get proven wrong with time

1. Jeremy Cameron
2. Joe Daniher
3. Jesse Hogan
4. Tom Lynch
5. Josh Bruce
6. Cam McCarthy
7. TOM BOYD
8. Patrick McCartin (only rookie season)

Tom is on more money than what he is producing but i think will get better, shouldn't be on that kind of money until is established like Jeremy Cameron is

Haha no.

We were completely outplayed no doubt.

Belted from pillar to post.

But has boyd done anything to earn his cheque?

It's nowhere near a free ride when just him being there has fixed our forward structure an absolute 100-fold. Anyone that has watched us since Hall left would have noticed we haven't had structure going forward. He makes a contest of which we manage to take advantage of. Not all the marks are sticking yet, but when they do he will be kicking more than a goal or two. Outside people can rate him on his stats all they want, but we will be worse with him out of the team

Took 5 contested marks....few of them real classy as well as presenting well.....wow ur bitter. enjoy Griff lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took 5 contested marks....few of them real classy as well as presenting well.....wow ur bitter. enjoy Griff lol
Agree 5 marks is pretty good. Massive paycheck but he will get better and seems to have a very good shot for goal. Reckon he will be pretty handy but will take time.

Will probably never be worth the $1M per year though....

I agree. GWS I still believe are closer to a finals appearance than Bulldogs but atm I rate other forwards in that age bracket better than him, maybe I'm being harsh and might get proven wrong with time

1. Jeremy Cameron
2. Joe Daniher
3. Jesse Hogan
4. Tom Lynch
5. Josh Bruce
6. Cam McCarthy
7. TOM BOYD
8. Patrick McCartin (only rookie season)

Tom is on more money than what he is producing but i think will get better, shouldn't be on that kind of money until is established like Jeremy Cameron is
he's not...he's on base plus match payments this year

Agree 5 marks is pretty good. Massive paycheck but he will get better and seems to have a very good shot for goal. Reckon he will be pretty handy but will take time.

Will probably never be worth the $1M per year though....
Contract is very much performance based...will only get anywhere near that if he's a gun

Contract is very much performance based...will only get anywhere near that if he's a gun
Ahh that makes sense. Good deal then he contests. That is all you need. Not great when the ball hits the deck but moves well. Like Jesse Hogan better, very impressive.

Ahh that makes sense. Good deal then he contests. That is all you need. Not great when the ball hits the deck but moves well. Like Jesse Hogan better, very impressive.
Jesse Hogan was always going to show more early.....most dogs supporters realised it......who will be better in the long run....its hard to say

7 year deal for a player who hasn't played more than 10 afl games prior to signing is insane, you have to agree with me
Carlton would have done it :) u already had a locker for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back