Brisbane Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

When AFL placed expansion teams in last 20 years didn't use any names from established NRL teams
Port - POWER
Freo - DOCKERS
GC - Suns (QLD)
GWS - Giants (NSW)

EFC has been established over 100 years and own the name Bombers.
When expansion teams brought in AFL didn't name them
Gold Coast Broncos or
Greater Western Sydney Sea Eagles
143733a.jpg

medium_sf-giants-logo1.jpg

Phoenix-Suns-Wall-Hanging-21454410822.jpg

top_mainV.jpg

Not sure how anyone could possibly think the Essendon Football club own the name Bombers?
Non issue in every circumstance.
Get on with the footy Essendon, a Rugby league club should be of no concern to you.

Well none of the VFL clubs nicknames were their nicknames from day 1 but they all grew into them. I just think when you mention the Bombers you know you're talking about Essendon, When you say the Rabittohs you know its South Sydney. The Newly founded Big Bash clubs all came up with unique names to this country.
From what I can find Richmond were the Tigers from the start they appear to be the second team in th r World to use that nickname a sports team in Canada were a few years ahead with it, but I agree unless they are trying to piggy back on to Essendons large supporter base you would think something else would be better.

From what I can find Richmond were the Tigers from the start they appear to be the second team in th r World to use that nickname a sports team in Canada were a few years ahead with it, but I agree unless they are trying to piggy back on to Essendons large supporter base you would think something else would be better.

Good point. Pick a team with a strong interstate following and capitalise. If Qld based Essendon fans are bi-coders they are more likely to choose a team carrying the Bombers nickname.

Brisbane Bulls would be better. Bulls are cool.

Non-issue if they do get through with Bombers though for me. Couldn't care less, hell, let Port Adelaide be the Magpies as well as Collingwood.

Not sure how anyone could possibly think the Essendon Football club own the name Bombers?
Non issue in every circumstance.
Get on with the footy Essendon, a Rugby league club should be of no concern to you.

I can't see how anyone could think that they don't? It's their trademark, used in the national sporting market. There is no way I'd be letting another professional sporting team use it in a national league if I were them.

Can't see why Essendon Bombers and Brisbane Bombers couldn't work together either to increase their following in the other states. Sell merchendise for each other etc, get people to both teams etc.

Richmond did use the name Tigers from early on but I believe the originally were a blue guernsey in their 1st and 2nd years, then changed to yellow and Black stripes and fans used nicknames such as tigers and Wasps, so Tigers was used by fans early on, not sure when it became official though

I'd like the AFL to step in and ensure it doesn't become an NRL team name moniker just because it's a big middle finger to the nrl and asserts out dominance as the #1 code. Even though i hate the bombers i hate NRL more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see why Essendon Bombers and Brisbane Bombers couldn't work together either to increase their following in the other states. Sell merchendise for each other etc, get people to both teams etc.

Two different codes competing for the weekend time slot. Both leagues are businesses at the end of the day.

Nope, Richmond were referred to by several nicknames in the VFA, including the very old fashioned and unpopular Richmondites and the Wasps, a name they carried into the VFL. They weren't commonly referred to as the Tigers until the early 1920s, by which time several sporting clubs both here and overseas were using the Tigers nickname, usually in tandem with gold/black or yellow/black uniforms.

Most traditional Victorian clubs haven't used a nickname from very the start from what I can find, let alone the same one they carry now as they only really became popular in the latter half 19th century, and were not usually animal nicknames, which is a relatively recent invention. Although Collingwood has only ever been the Magpies, and Port Melbourne has the Victorian era holdover "Borough" but that's really it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Essendon used the name as Essendon Airport was used and housed a lot of planes for WW2. The name Bombers has nothing to do with Brisbane at the moment and they are simply copying a name they thinks cool. Get something unique that represents Brisbane.

Imagine a new AFL team called the Tasmanian Rabbitohs, they'd lose their sh*t in Sydney.
The Brisbane Bombers are going to be based near the Airforce base up there that is why they thought of using the name. To be honest who gives a *? A club based 1600km away who play different sport may have the same nickname

It seems that the NRL's MO is to try and annoy the AFL. No doubt this would be one reason they came up with the conflicting name. A Perth side is trying to get a team in the NRL and they have come up with the name West Coast Pirates when Perth Pirates rolls off the tongue.

WCP.jpeg

NRL a planning to introduce an expansion team in Brisbane and calling them the Brisbane 'Bombers' by 2018

Should the AFL do everything in its power to prevent the name 'Bombers' being used as AFL fans, the Bombers name is a piece of real estate, an intangible asset that's part of the AFL culture. I have no issue having an NRL expansion team but not using the Bombers name
I think Gillon should take the NRL to Court and stop it ASAP
Thoughts?

Source
http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au
NRL already use Blues, Tigers, Bulldogs so what is the big deal with Bombers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back