B.Johnson (R), M.Watson, C.Byrne

F:
T.Menzel, J.Foster*, C.Smith

R: ???, M.Whiley, N.Graham

Is this a good set up for a rebuild?

Back line looks thin.
Midfield is solid, some already established players
Forward line looks ok

Need to tackle a few KPP & a Ruckman this draft.
Overall i reckon this is a pretty good list, already got some solid youth.

May get shot down for this.. but think we should look to trade Yarran at seasons end.

He's played over 100 games and still isn't looking like the player he should be. To be honest, he's basically the same player he was when we drafted him. He had a standout year in 2011 but hasn't done much since.

"But Chunky, he has loads of talent and is still relatively young, there is still a big chance he will come good". This is true, but most players with his sort of ability have come good by now, or have shown a will to become good. Yarrans work rate is still questionable, as is his entire attitude.

We have Buckley who can run out of defence, as well as Docherty who I think will be a genuine A-grader one day. As well as the elite speed and disposal of Touhy. We seem to be set for half back flankers, especially if DVR comes on. Sure Yarran can go to onto a wing, but wingers need to have elite endurance and work rate these days - we saw Murphy go in there today, Gibbs can go there as well, as can Boekhorst, Thomas etc. Small forward? Eh, Yarran was never that good a small forward anyway.

With our leaders in Cripps, Docherty and Graham coming on - who are all absolute ******* workhorses, I really fail to see Yarran adapting to the new standards that will these leaders will demand.

He looks a bit uninterested and is out of contract next year. I think our smartest move is trading him at the end of this year.

Discuss.

Nah need more KPP's and class.
We definitely have something to work with, but as BM123 suggested we need a young A grade KPP and a silky midfielder. Hopefully, in this years draft. Weitering and Schade may not be possibilities now with our improved performances, however, Francis is looking a likely type that will be able to step in from Round 1 next year.

I really hope the Jaksch/Boekhorst deal starts paying dividends next year as this help the rebuild move along significantly quicker.

May get shot down for this.. but think we should look to trade Yarran at seasons end.

He's played over 100 games and still isn't looking like the player he should be. To be honest, he's basically the same player he was when we drafted him. He had a standout year in 2011 but hasn't done much since.

"But Chunky, he has loads of talent and is still relatively young, there is still a big chance he will come good". This is true, but most players with his sort of ability have come good by now, or have shown a will to become good. Yarrans work rate is still questionable, as is his entire attitude.

We have Buckley who can run out of defence, as well as Docherty who I think will be a genuine A-grader one day. As well as the elite speed and disposal of Touhy. We seem to be set for half back flankers, especially if DVR comes on. Sure Yarran can go to onto a wing, but wingers need to have elite endurance and work rate these days - we saw Murphy go in there today, Gibbs can go there as well, as can Boekhorst, Thomas etc. Small forward? Eh, Yarran was never that good a small forward anyway.

With our leaders in Cripps, Docherty and Graham coming on - who are all absolute ******* workhorses, I really fail to see Yarran adapting to the new standards that will these leaders will demand.

He looks a bit uninterested and is out of contract next year. I think our smartest move is trading him at the end of this year.

Discuss.
I love Yaz but I'm finding this hard to argue with. Would have excellent currency and I can see someone like Byrne slotting in and doing a pretty decent job in the same role.

I love Yaz but I'm finding this hard to argue with. Would have excellent currency and I can see someone like Byrne slotting in and doing a pretty decent job in the same role.
Forgot about Byrne. Quick, classy, good ball user on both sides of the body, flew to the other side of the world and has worked his arse off since getting here to be the best player he can be. He will fit in nicely with the new regime.

Discuss.
Id rather trade him than Hendo.

He was a pick 6 but hasn't really developed to the elite level.

Would kill it in a Hawks guernsey.
Would kill it at the Eagles also

We definitely have something to work with, but as BM123 suggested we need a young A grade KPP and a silky midfielder. Hopefully, in this years draft. Weitering and Schade may not be possibilities now with our improved performances, however, Francis is looking a likely type that will be able to step in from Round 1 next year.

I really hope the Jaksch/Boekhorst deal starts paying dividends next year as this help the rebuild move along significantly quicker.
Charlie Curnow!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Increased chatter about Treloar in other threads, thought I'd bring it in here.

I would like Hendo to stay but am almost resigned to him leaving. I know Geelong seems most likely but what about a move to GWS?

Hendo for Treloar?

GWS could use an experienced, biggish body defender to complement Phil Davis. GWS could probably offer him decent coin.

We could use Treloar, not sure he'd want to come to us, but issue for me has always been if he did how would we pay for him.

Hendo is a good start, we'd need to sweeten the deal slightly. Maybe swap of 2nd round picks. Assume we finish 16th and them 11th, that would be pick 22 for 27.

Trade hypotheticals are a bit silly in June but this one makes sense to me if the players were happy with destinations. Hendo seems like he relish playing with a team on the up and we all know Treloar 'supported Carlton as a kid'. Fairly win / win unless we are paying a little unders.

Bonus for us would be that we would almost certainly pick up the player we wanted at 22 with pick 27... ;)

Last edited:
Increased chatter about Treloar in other threads, thought I'd bring it in here.

I would like Hendo to stay but am almost resigned to him leaving. I know Geelong seems most likely but what about a move to GWS?

Hendo for Treloar?

GWS could use an experienced, biggish body defender to complement Phil Davis. GWS could probably offer him decent coin.

We could use Treloar, not sure he'd want to come to us, but issue for me has always been if he did how would we pay for him.

Hendo is a good start, we'd need to sweeten the deal slightly. Maybe swap of 2nd round picks. Assume we finish 16th and them 11th, that would be pick 22 for 27.

Trade hypotheticals are a bit silly in June but this one makes sense to me if the players were happy with destinations. Hendo seems like he relish playing with a team on the up and we all know Treloar 'supported Carlton as a kid'. Fairly win / win unless we are paying a little unders.

Bonus for us would be that we would almost certainly pick up the player we wanted at 22 with pick 27... ;)

Might take hendo and yarran? He is pretty highly rated young mid. Should explore all options though.

For mine though, hendo looks like he is enjoying his footy even more. Gave a spray at qtr time. Reckon he has moved from 'gawn' to better than 50/50 to stay.

Yarran looks a shadow of his former self. Kicked a nice goal, but we need another a grade mid or an a grade KPP. If we could somehow swing Yaz plus a pick for treloar, we would need to consider it.

I think if we can pick up carlisle cheap, add schace or weitering, plus somehow get a treloar we would be pretty nicely set up for a long time. Would still need to pick a few winners with our lower picks, but I really like the look of our youth at the moment.

We have a good bunch of skilful, tough and work horse kids coming thru. :D:D:D
Not sure what the doom and gloom MM and every one else carry on about, hopefully most will make it and it only take a couple of good drafts to get us back into the top end again...

also please don't trade Hendo, we need him for structure and forward smart

is yarran really worth putting up for trade ?, clubs wouldn't give up a top 15 pick for him surely? worth more to us imo

on a side note it's getting hard to see who we will delist at seasons end with Holman playing good footy he will stay on thank goodness!!

imo gone
carrots
ellard,
judd
hendo boooooooooooooo
tutt ?

that is 5 picks,upgrade the two irish boys an head into the draft with 3 picks under 30 with the hendo trade!!! yahhh half rebuild is on!!!

if we need another pick downgrade giles to the rookie list

Everything being said about Yarran is true but the problem I see is that the type of teams who would look at him are the ones like Hawthorn, West Coast ect. The way things are looking that will not get us a pick inside 15 and it's hard to see a side outside of the finals looking to get him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back