RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I carry on like a flog on here about PAFC, but the sadness on our board and yours and across this state and the broader AFL community is devastating.

The uniting of our two Clubs on this tragic day is telling to say the least.

Footy rivalries aside, these sad tragedies remind us all what's important and put things into perspective.
It would be good to see both clubs do something special at the showdown for Phil and would be good to see as many Crows fans turn up as possible as well.
In fact I'd like to see the club take all public tickets and make them available for Crows members only.

And it's great to see our club offering support and help for your club, especially the players.
As much nasty s**t as I post about the Crows on here, I truly hope the players pull through this and recover.

Like so many have said already, these sad tragedies remind us all how precious life is and how minor footy is in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously the Crows will play football again, I just wish that they also abandon next weeks game against the Eagles and play the Power the following week.

I do believe the healing process would be immeasurable playing not only a SA team at AO, but also the team that Phil Walsh loved as well. In any case, that will be up to the players and officials to decide.

I don't understand the calls to not play

death is a part of life and going through the motions of life even during tough times is healthy
I think if the game wasn't 2 days away, it would have went on. 2 days is far too soon.

death is a part of life and going through the motions of life even during tough times is healthy

If this was 60 years ago perhaps. But in this day and age peoples well being and health(especially emotional/mental) is a priority and is put first at times like this. These sorts of tragic events can have lasting effects on someones mental well being if not dealt with properly. Expecting players to take to the field to compete in a game of footy isn't a priority right now, their emotional well being should be and is.

The same way our players received grief counselling and were given all the support necessary to help them deal with Jmacs tragic passing.

Football takes a back seat.
Like your work or my work would take a back seat if a close loved one passed away, we'd take a few days off at least to deal with it.

If this was 60 years ago perhaps. But in this day and age peoples well being and health(especially emotional/mental) is a priority and is put first at times like this. These sorts of tragic events can have lasting effects on someones mental well being if not dealt with properly. Expecting players to take to the field to compete in a game of footy isn't a priority right now, their emotional well being should be and is.

The same way our players received grief counselling and were given all the support necessary to help them deal with Jmacs tragic passing.

Football takes a back seat.
Like your work or my work would take a back seat if a close loved one passed away, we'd take a few days off at least to deal with it.

I understand that and respect that. At my businesses, if an employee doesn't want to work for any reason (sick, grievance or simply doesn't feel like it) then they are free to decide without question.

what I can't understand is why others are making calls.

If it happened on a Monday then you'd say the game may have been played.

Very sad news. As time goes by we will probably find out what actually transpired in the early hours for such a tragic event to unfold.

I have posted on BF a number of times how insignificant footy actually is in the bigger scheme of things, this tragic occasion puts prospective where it should be. In the coming weeks and months two clubs and supporter bases will come together and mourn for Phil Walsh and his family. Rivalry and hatred will in the main part be put aside, as it should!

Condolences to Phil's loved ones and friends. His son will regret this day for the rest of his life, his mother and sister will wonder how and why this happened, they will ask themselves what did I do wrong and what could I have done better, what if, had we done it this way, etc. etc. Tragic event for so many people.

I have seen so much tragedy and violence evolve from alcohol and certain drugs, it is a huge problem that the mainstream seem to just brush over, I fear that this could possibly have been the cause and affect in play.

From what I have heard, Cy has been arrested and will most likely be charged. This following statement he allegedly made on his blurb a number years ago will certainly not help his cause and perhaps should have sounded a warning.

Cy's alleged blog from a number of years ago.

When blind drunk I become very… Emotional. What I mean is that I become a wild beast of emotion in general, hate, love, sadness, whatever," he wrote. "I wanna fight some guy who didn't even look at me. Next I try to grab some girl and yank her into the bathroom. Ill start picking people up and telling them I like them or pointing in faces and calling people bitches.

For a car crash or maybe a heart attack, perhaps. But they're grappling with the horrifyingly weighty facts that their coach was brutally murdered in his own home by his own son. Their heads would be completely scrambled with all sorts of questions at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad news. As time goes by we will probably find out what actually transpired in the early hours for such a tragic event to unfold.

I have posted on BF a number of times how insignificant footy actually is in the bigger scheme of things, this tragic occasion puts prospective where it should be. In the coming weeks and months two clubs and supporter bases will come together and mourn for Phil Walsh and his family. Rivalry and hatred will in the main part be put aside, as it should!

Condolences to Phil's loved ones and friends. His son will regret this day for the rest of his life, his mother and sister will wonder how and why this happened, they will ask themselves what did I do wrong and what could I have done better, what if, had we done it this way, etc. etc. Tragic event for so many people.

I have seen so much tragedy and violence evolve from alcohol and certain drugs, it is a huge problem that the mainstream seem to just brush over, I fear that this could possibly have been the cause and affect in play.

From what I have heard, Cy has been arrested and will most likely be charged. This following statement he allegedly made on his blurb a number years ago will certainly not help his cause and perhaps should have sounded a warning.

Cy's alleged blog from a number of years ago.

When blind drunk I become very… Emotional. What I mean is that I become a wild beast of emotion in general, hate, love, sadness, whatever," he wrote. "I wanna fight some guy who didn't even look at me. Next I try to grab some girl and yank her into the bathroom. Ill start picking people up and telling them I like them or pointing in faces and calling people bitches.
How disturbing. Judging from that post alone he definetly seems mentally unstable. I wonder if his family tried to help him or even noticed it

Not if you're a professional athlete in a kind of environment where everything is scrutinised and harsh truths are common. Sometimes, personally, you just don't need that s**t. There are no "motions" in this workplace. As cliche as it is, it really as a week to week proposition, and this week a confronting tragedy has occurred, and it's a write off.

Someone they know and look up to was murdered. That should never be treated the same as an accident or illness. It's a horrifying thing.

How disturbing. Judging from that post alone he definetly seems mentally unstable. I wonder if his family tried to help him or even noticed it

I don't know, HB if that is much different to many who hit the sudds a little to hard? We will probably hear more as things become clearer and unfold. We have no idea what triggered this, easy to jump to conclusions or blame one thing. So bloody tragic :(

I'm not sure it would've made a difference if they did. Based on other things he's written, he seemed quite aloof and sure of himself. Not that you would expected what happened to happen, not psychotic, but a confident young man who spoke of spirituality and worldliness. A know it all, for lack of a better phrase in my vocabulary.

Speculation, but alcohol and other drugs would've been involved in this. I'm sure he'll be mortified at what he's done when he sobers and reaches a state of clarity. Unfortunately, that won't bring Phil back.

I heard KT on 5AA tonight.

Magnificent!!

He is truly a gem.

Cheers guys:(

Pride, and an inability to swallow it, has led to many of us on this forum, myself included, to delude ourselves into believing we don't miss Phil Walsh from our coaches box. Clearly we do. I've been as guilty as anyone of mocking his style and unique way he delivers his message publicly but truth be told it was more about sour grapes at losing him than anything else. And to be honest, right now I'm missing his silly mannerisms and quirks. Poor, poor man.

I heard KT on 5AA tonight.

Magnificent!!

He is truly a gem.

Cheers guys:(
Yep, we love him. Unfortunately we have already had to see how he handles tough situations, he was an absolute rock for the whole club during the JMac tragedy.

Tough times for both clubs, wish your club and supporters the best in getting through this together.

Pride, and an inability to swallow it, has led many of us on this forum, myself included, to delude ourselves into believing we don't miss Phil Walsh from our coaches box. Clearly we do. I've been as guilty as anyone of mocking his style and unique way he delivers his message publicly but truth be told it was more about sour grapes at losing him than anything else. And to be honest, right now I'm missing his silly mannerisms and quirks. Poor, poor man.

Even our 10 year old lad commented this morning: "Mum, this makes me feel so sad. In fact, it makes me not want to be so mean to the Crows from now on." :cry:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back