Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was 23 I'd agree, but his age is against him for us IMO

Will take 4 years though

I agree. I made that point, but my criticism of him isn't around his speed off the mark or his hands of kicking.
Did he resign earlier this year Pann?

Anyone in this years draft class that can really show a clean set of heels?

I don't think, long-term, we need a second ruck. Assuming that we have a number 1 ruck who can ruck 80+% of the game (and not have a funky two-ruck system or whatever) then there's no reason that a more physically mature Boyd can't do the job.
We need more targets up forward, sure, but I don't think whether or not they can ruck should be the issue.

We shouldn't be trading in anybody who won't be part of a hypothetical premiership side in 2-3 years time.
Delisted Free Agent? Fine. A negligible pick downgrade, what we needed to get Biggs? Also fine. A straight swap with a second or third round pick for a fringe player, someone like Walker? With our drafting success I'd back in that third round pick to have a better upside and more likely to play in a hypothetical premiership team down the line than any given fringe player like Walker.

I don't think, long-term, we need a second ruck. Assuming that we have a number 1 ruck who can ruck 80+% of the game (and not have a funky two-ruck system or whatever) then there's no reason that a more physically mature Boyd can't do the job.
We need more targets up forward, sure, but I don't think whether or not they can ruck should be the issue.

Someone who is more competent as a CHF but with the ability to provide a chop out is the key IMO.

Roughy 70% ruck
Boydy 15 - 20% ruck
???? - 10% chop out

Particularly as we like the third man up I don't see it being a massive issue.

Someone who is more competent as a CHF but with the ability to provide a chop out is the key IMO.

Roughy 70% ruck
Boydy 15 - 20% ruck
???? - 10% chop out

Particularly as we like the third man up I don't see it being a massive issue.
Then if all they're giving is a "chop out" why should their rucking skills be that important? Any bloke who is tall enough to play up forward should be competent enough to ruck 5-10 minutes a game in the ruck - we don't give a damn about Redpath's rucking skills, and we would not consider it in the overall assessment of him as a player neither would another club if they were recruiting them, yet he still gave Minson a chop-out for 5 minutes in the second half after Roughy went off and was competent enough.

We shouldn't be trading in anybody who won't be part of a hypothetical premiership side in 2-3 years time.
Delisted Free Agent? Fine. A negligible pick downgrade, what we needed to get Biggs? Also fine. A straight swap with a second or third round pick for a fringe player, someone like Walker? With our drafting success I'd back in that third round pick to have a better upside and more likely to play in a hypothetical premiership team down the line than any given fringe player like Walker.

In a particularly shallow draft and especially when Dal has drafted smalls for the last 3 years with later picks (2012 - Hunter, Prudden, 2013 Fuller, Honeychurch, 2014 - Hamilton, Dale, Daniel), we can afford to trade a pick that probably won't be in the top 50 for a player devoid of opportunity.
He might be a spud or he might have a Josh Bruce breakout year - hell he played 4 years of senior footy without firing a shot who knows.

We need to take such calculated risks now, no point just log jamming with the same types every draft.

We don't have enough depth at KPD to be able to lose Talia. We could conceivably play Talia, Hamling and Roberts in our team with Hamling being able to play on athletic 3rd type talls and Talia /Roberts rotating on the team's 2 big Fwds. If we lose 1 guy to injury which is fairly likely at some point, we have 0 depth players to bring in. We would have to put Roughy back to FB where he isn't suited.

Zaine has potential but is still a while away physically and will be more the athletic 3rd tall type and Morris might retire at season's end.

Long story short we can't afford to lose Roberts, Hamling or Talia because we don't have any other options. All 3 are promising, young KPPs that can play and develop together well.

Then if all they're giving is a "chop out" why should their rucking skills be that important? Any bloke who is tall enough to play up forward should be competent enough to ruck 5-10 minutes a game in the ruck - we don't give a damn about Redpath's rucking skills, and we would not consider it in the overall assessment of him as a player neither would another club if they were recruiting them, yet he still gave Minson a chop-out for 5 minutes in the second half after Roughy went off and was competent enough.

It isn't that important, the reason why I like someone else apart from Boyd capable of the chopout is that it keeps him deeper in the forward line for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will land a big fish soon. Either Dangerfield, treloar or aish IMO.

Hope it's Aish and he swallows a buck load of their capspace. They have way too much talent still playing 2's for them to get a danger or Treloar on their list as well.

Think part of our forward woes are the fact that Crameri has been out of sorts all season. Stick him up forward, in form, with Dickson, Stringer and Boyd and the dynamic instantly changes and we add about 5 goals a game. Not sure we urgently need a CHF if cramers can get back. We've effectively gone from 4 very dangerous forwards to 2 with Crameri out and Dickson largely on a wing which is dramatically killing our goal kicking ability.

Still think we need one more classy inside/outside wing/mid even with Libba back. That may be Jong if he can get back to form as well but I'm back to throwing the kitchen sink at getting Haynes out this trade period if we can find a way to make it happen. Pull it off and it could be the critical move to making a genuine charge in the next two years.

Hope it's Aish and he swallows a buck load of their capspace. They have way too much talent still playing 2's for them to get a danger or Treloar on their list as well.

Think part of our forward woes are the fact that Crameri has been out of sorts all season. Stick him up forward, in form, with Dickson, Stringer and Boyd and the dynamic instantly changes and we add about 5 goals a game. Not sure we urgently need a CHF if cramers can get back. We've effectively gone from 4 very dangerous forwards to 2 with Crameri out and Dickson largely on a wing which is dramatically killing our goal kicking ability.

Still think we need one more classy inside/outside wing/mid even with Libba back. That may be Jong if he can get back to form as well but I'm back to throwing the kitchen sink at getting Haynes out this trade period if we can find a way to make it happen. Pull it off and it could be the critical move to making a genuine charge in the next two years.
Agree a fit and firing Crameri makes our forward line far more functional. Creates space and opportunity for others through run. He's also a tough match up out of the square.

Jong just isn't classy I'm afraid, and Haynes is signed long term so I can't see any circumstances under which GWS would trade him.

I seriously love our defenders. Fletch and Hamling are getting better and better every week, these two have been seriously impressive. Hamling attacks the contest like a mad man, has elite speed and uses the ball well while Fletch is growing in confidence and starting to take big marks regurally and he's just so smart and composed. Still a bit shakey sometimes when the high ball comes in but Talia was absolutely killing those early in the year. I just want to see those 3 together, they all compliment each other so well and can match up on any forward line, especially with the likes of Wood helping them out. Wouldnt like to see us waste valuable assets by bringing in another one (although I'd like another one in the draft to develop alongside Cordy). Want another absolute jet alongside JJ and a CHF. Don't really see any other big holes to be honest.

I think you've read this the wrong way Cori. Redpath had the ability to get separation on the lead and if the game was played like that he'd be fine. He kicks it well and he has good hands on the lead BUT our forward entries do not suit the Barry Hall type forward. My concern with him is fitting into the way we play. He's not great under the high ball, even though he took a couple of good marks on the wing and that is the way we play, which highlighted to me just how good Boyd has been this year.

We've shown this year that we can mould our game plan to suit the players we have. Perhaps we just need to tweak our ball movement and delivery slightly to support a 2nd KPF - be it Redpath, Cordy, or A. N. Other. It might be easier as we improve the fitness, physicality and skills under pressure of our kids - to refine our delivery and stick with what we've got (in KPF terms) than to try to throw everything at someone who fits the 'now' (poor delivery) rather than the plan for the future...

Just an alternate view.

Talia will stay guys, he's in the 2s because HE lacked confidence, not the club lacked confidence in him. I'm confident he stays and I believe he'll be playing this week for Moz.
You're not the only one who's been saying this :p
Pretty much every second post of mine on this thread is how Talia stays.

We've shown this year that we can mould our game plan to suit the players we have. Perhaps we just need to tweak our ball movement and delivery slightly to support a 2nd KPF - be it Redpath, Cordy, or A. N. Other. It might be easier as we improve the fitness, physicality and skills under pressure of our kids - to refine our delivery and stick with what we've got (in KPF terms) than to try to throw everything at someone who fits the 'now' (poor delivery) rather than the plan for the future...

Just an alternate view.
I don't have a problem with keeping Redpath on the list, despite my doubts that he makes it. I agree he is a solid backup who doesn't cost us very much but I can't see him being very effective whilst our preferred method of getting the ball to the forwards is via the roof.

This delivery can, and must, change, but forwards who refuse to hit up at the ball carrier (Jake I'm looking at you) aren't helping develop this skill set.

You're not the only one who's been saying this :p
Pretty much every second post of mine on this thread is how Talia stays.
Mine isn't based on any inside info, but more so on the fact he'll get more opportunity in the back half of the year. He's never going to be my favourite, but as a stopper who is built like Hercules, he should carve out 150 games of solid footy.

Mine isn't based on any inside info, but more so on the fact he'll get more opportunity in the back half of the year. He's never going to be my favourite, but as a stopper who is built like Hercules, he should carve out 150 games of solid footy.
Same here, I don't have any inside information.
What I do have is a player who was reportedly happy with the coach and the club, in a squad in need of key defenders, who's simply having a run in the 2's like plenty of young players do. He's still the best pure defensive one-on-one stopper in our squad to take on the Travis Clokes of the AFL.

This is my feeling too. We need to go down one of two routes:
1. First round pick this draft is one of the better KPPs of the ilk that will compliment Boyds strength. Trade in a cheap stop-gap to play that role for the next couple of seasons.
2. Go all out bananas on luring an A-Grade KPF over the next couple of seasons and persist with either solo Boyd or pray that Redpath can effectively play alongside Boyd. Take the best available at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back