Preview Round 15 - Port Adelaide vs Collingwood, Adelaide Oval, 9/7/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain to me how scrapping club songs and banners is supposed to be respectful? I'm not up in arms about it or anything, but I don't really understand the connection.

Because the modern public grief cycle demands it. Everyone is s**t scared of being seen as disrespectful, or more cringeworthingly, try to overdo or outdo the respectfullness.

This game has "Port surge to a 40 point lead midway through the third only for Collingwood to reel it in and win in "inspirational" style as random teens/young adults wearing no particular teams colours celebrate post final siren having not made a peep all game" written all over it.
When's the last time Port actually coughed up a 30 to 40 point lead?

Can someone explain to me how scrapping club songs and banners is supposed to be respectful? I'm not up in arms about it or anything, but I don't really understand the connection.
Don't know man, all teams play their songs for the Anzac Round, are they all being disrespectful to all our Soldiers that have past?

I thought it would be more respectful for both teams to run through the same black banner.. o_O

If he had nothing to do with Port then you have a point. Its the club deciding to do what they coudnt do last week because we played Thursday night. The minutes silence is reflected in that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started to see some positive signs last week against the Swans, particularly our faster ball movement.

Here's hoping that our skill execution starts to improve and we then start to regain some of that confidence.

In terms of changes to the side, I'm not that overly concerned, it is all about finishing off the season admirably and building towards 2016.

Sadly, I have lost confidence in my ability to assume a Port win and our form at home has been awful.

Lets all get down there and pack the stadium out and show our boys that we are 100% behind them.

I started to see some positive signs last week against the Swans, particularly our faster ball movement.

Here's hoping that our skill execution starts to improve and we then start to regain some of that confidence.

In terms of changes to the side, I'm not that overly concerned, it is all about finishing off the season admirably and building towards 2016.

Sadly, I have lost confidence in my ability to assume a Port win and our form at home has been awful.

Lets all get down there and pack the stadium out and show our boys that we are 100% behind them.

Skills, Skills and Skills under pressure is what we need to work on.. we have a good fitness base now to simply maintain.

The future is bright.. We as the Fans just need to work on packing out that stadium win, loss or Draw.

aaaaaaand I must add, we should never give up (and leave during the 4th quarter) BECAUSE we expect our players to NEVER GIVE UP! o_O

Over the last couple of years we've had a few times where our performance at the end of a string of losses has shown clear signs of improvement with only our skills and a few other unfortunate mistakes costing us a win. We've then come out and won the next week.

Unfortunately IMO I don't feel the same after last week. Having been there at the game what I saw was a rabble of a team. That's not something that can be quickly fixed. A defence thats faltering with Broadbent and Jonas huge issue. Some solid efforts from the kids in Impey, AhChee and Colquhoun but still to many mistakes, a team too reliant on our core mids who are being beaten too easy ie. Boak, Ebert and Wines last week's main offenders. Then a forward line that is becoming dependant upon the individual brilliance of Wingard to pluck a mark or snap a goal. A forward line devoid of system or structure unless that system is to lead and kick deep to the pockets on every single entry.

The scoreboard flattered us last week in a game that given the injuries and outs to Sydney we should have won. Skills were the defining factor in a win or loss, but to ignore the other issues is just wallpaper over cracks. The reality is we have massive structural issues with our game plan, and we desperately need a few of our kids and depth players to.reach a new level. These issues have been evident all year, and they aren't going away overnight. A few wins here and there may help some confidence but the deeper issues that'll continue to leave us vulnerable won't be addressed.

Most importantly I expect with the pressure they bring to the table, Collingwood will not allow us to get our skills back on track and they should win relatively comfortably. Which is hard to say because I really don't rate them and think they've fluked their way on the back of an easy draw to be where they are, but their confidence is up and their ordinary players are playing with a belief that has disappeared from our team.

Port have been playing average footy for most of the year. Lots of reasons for our drop-off in form but I still can't believe we're that bad. Maybe it's blind faith but I wouldn't be surprised if we claim one or two big scalps during the rest of the season. Starting tomorrow night would be nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back