No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've said Goodes defamed the honour of Australia... how so and how is that relevant to the award? I'm bringing up Rafter because i'd suggest an athlete who is avoiding paying taxes to his country is just as controversial. But of course it doesn't matter because he's Pat Rafter and he says 'sorry mate' when he stuffs up a serve n that

His (Goodes) speech, was almost entirely about racism!....He made the award about his aboriginal heritage alone....What other achievement has he got to hang that award on other than his football?....People should be selected on merit/achievement, not on race!

It is Goodes alone who makes this entire circus about racism....But he alone is not to blame....Those in power at AFL HQ & the NSW Govt lobby machine are equally complicit in setting this lad up for the straw-man he has become.

No one denies that racism is a big issue in a multicultural society....But to make it out as the be all & end all of ones being/existence is ridiculous.

Sure....Some people may boo him on racist grounds, maybe even a majority?....Who knows?....But to claim that everybody does is ignorance personified.

And yet that is the line the media, the AFL, the Swans & Goodes are trotting out & expecting us all to swallow....DO They really think that the average football follower is THAT DUMB?....Apparently so!

To boo or not to boo? That is the question.

The issue to me is that irrespective of what people think of Adam Goodes the man, Adam Goodes the player, his colour is the only thing some people see and thus can the boo him because of their dislike of his colour and use other people's reasons for booing (his sniping, staging, personality) as camouflage.

I'm white and have been abused in many ways in sports I have played but have never had a comment made about being white. I have played in a team of many nationalities and colours here in London and have carried out the same acts as my team mates and yet the criticism of my black team mates has always included a reference to their colour.

I'm not saying people should not criticise people because of their colour but one should consider the perception of doing it as much as their own personal reason for doing it. Fair? Probably not but I'm sure we can celebrate winnng and leave the booing to others?

There IS an element of racism in the booing - to deny that is no different from those saying that it's all racially based.

To also say that the booing is a result of the slide on gibbo years ago - bizzare. Its a long time to hold a grudge

It would seem that people are just booing now because they can and that's just sheepish and quite petty

Everyone has the right to boo but sometimes I think you need to take a step back and ask yourself what is exactly that I'm booing

Personally, it is the combination of his on field actions, staging, sniping etc... and that the AFL always have given him the benefit of the doubt at the tribunal. He has a squeaky clean record because he has a squeaky clean record, not because he has never done anything wrong. It is the "Teflon" syndrome that shits me no end, that is why I boo him at a game.

Other than that good luck to him and his stance on race relations, politics et al.

Not to say there are no racist Hawk fans, but, if the Hawk fan's actions were racially motivated, would not we boo all opposition aboriginal players? I have not heard about us booing anyone other than Goodes and Franko the rat.

I'm sorry but as much as I can't stand Goodes, the people who get offended about his speaking out about racism and Aboriginal disadvantage are having a laugh, surely? The award isn't called 'Blindly Patriotic and Jingoistic Australian of the Year' - it's an award of recognition not a trinket to acknowledge that you blindly think Australia is just grouse at everything and never gets it wrong.

It's not unknown for activists to win the award (Mick Dodson for example). Ita Buttrose won it a few year backs and said she'd use the spotlight from it to speak out about ageism in Australia. Did you go and boo her when she does her boring morning show as a result? Rosie Batty didnt gush patriotically when she won, she used it to continue to talk about domestic violence - have you gone to boo her at one of her talks yet?

When someone wins an award primarily because of their work in the Aboriginal community and against racism - then if they don't use that stage to speak on those issues then they are utter hypocrites.

By all means say that there was likely someone who did more work for Aboriginal people who deserved the award - that's probably 100% accurate - however that's an issue for the AOTY committee - not Adam Goodes. It's not like he led a Karl Stefanovic-like campaign for the Gold Logie. It's a nomination based award.

Please continue to boo Goodes for his antics on the field and his subsequent media protection over his sniper ways. However the AOTY argument does absolutely nothing to counter the racism angle.

Last edited:
Further to that above, anyone who seriously thinks Goodes was out of line to point out a member of the crowd racially vilifying him, is a pillock.

He also has every right to talk about "invasion day" and all the hardships that aboriginal people have suffered at the hands of white Australia.

To boo or not to boo? That is the question.

The issue to me is that irrespective of what people think of Adam Goodes the man, Adam Goodes the player, his colour is the only thing some people see and thus can the boo him because of their dislike of his colour and use other people's reasons for booing (his sniping, staging, personality) as camouflage.

I'm white and have been abused in many ways in sports I have played but have never had a comment made about being white. I have played in a team of many nationalities and colours here in London and have carried out the same acts as my team mates and yet the criticism of my black team mates has always included a reference to their colour.

I'm not saying people should not criticise people because of their colour but one should consider the perception of doing it as much as their own personal reason for doing it. Fair? Probably not but I'm sure we can celebrate winnng and leave the booing to others?

I've played footy for years, played with a number of Aboriginal boys and a number of non-Anglo boys and not once EVER have I heard a racis comment. I played in the west of Melbourne, played in the Goulburn Valley and the Mornington comp and have never heard a racist comment from a player or the crowd.

The race card is a cop out, as a collective our country is so so so welcoming to all races/colours and creeds. Some people are so bloody precious, Goodes is simple a dislikeable character and he alienated himself by using the AOTY to run an agenda that was individually formed and imo selfish.

Goodes is simple a dislikeable character and he alienated himself by using the AOTY to run an agenda that was individually formed and imo selfish.

He ran an agenda that was the exact reason he was nominated for the award in the first place. I assume you take umbrage with Rosie Batty using her recent win to talk more about domestic violence?

Hawthorn has worked hard to build a brand name based on being the family club. If the booing from our supporters is being misinterpreted by the outside world as racist it should be stopped as it is eroding the brand.Besides it is giving the media another excuse for not discussing our brilliant performances over the past month.

I've played footy for years, played with a number of Aboriginal boys and a number of non-Anglo boys and not once EVER have I heard a racis comment. I played in the west of Melbourne, played in the Goulburn Valley and the Mornington comp and have never heard a racist comment from a player or the crowd.

The race card is a cop out, as a collective our country is so so so welcoming to all races/colours and creeds. Some people are so bloody precious, Goodes is simple a dislikeable character and he alienated himself by using the AOTY to run an agenda that was individually formed and imo selfish.

Good for you that you have never heard or experienced any racism. It does not mean it is not there, either directly or implied. I live and work in one of the most diverse cities in the world and yet racism in many forms is here.

As for Adam Goodes, he may not be the most likeable individual to many people for many reasons but I'm personally not sure all of the booing is based solely on his rightful use of a nominal platform to highlight years of discrimination for a race of people. If I had a platform, I'd highlight unfairness and discrimination in any walk I felt most resonated with my life and stuff those who don't like it. It would feel the right thing to do.

I grew up, played footy and worked in the GV for 30 years, and racism is everywhere.

I had a Koori teammate in the GV called an "ape", I also played with a guy who asked an opponent "do you think you're a fellow or something?" after that player fist-bumped a teammate, which unsurprisingly brought about a brawl.

I worked at a company where employees would openly state what they thought about "coons", "black campaigners" and how "at least the black campaigners in the U.S. can sing and dance, ours are heckin useless" ...to the point that I made a complaint to senior management about the s**t that was being spoken on a daily basis.

My partner at the time, also Koori, was once called a "dumb boong" by another female at the local pub one night.

I could keep going.

Racism is prevalent throughout Australia and particularly in rural areas.

Hawthorn has worked hard to build a brand name based on being the family club. If the booing from our supporters is being misinterpreted by the outside world as racist it should be stopped as it is eroding the brand.Besides it is giving the media another excuse for not discussing our brilliant performances over the past month.
I reckon that will continue regardless.....the ignoring of our past/recent/future performances.

Unless the dribbling media wish to have the spotlight directed back onto themselves and not on the real action. Then they will climb back on the bandwagon.

I would love for the Hawks to play out of their skins and destroy all-comers for the rest of the season just to see how the medja might deal with it when it would be nigh on impossible to ignore the obvious.

But really I just want a fair go for my footy club......pretty sure it isnt ever going to happen but.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I grew up, played footy and worked in the GV for 30 years, and racism is everywhere.

I had a Koori teammate in the GV called an "ape", I also played with a guy who asked an opponent "do you think you're a fellow or something?" after that player fist-bumped a teammate, which unsurprisingly brought about a brawl.

I worked at a company where employees would openly state what they thought about "coons", "black campaigners" and how "at least the black campaigners in the U.S. can sing and dance, ours are ****in useless" ...to the point that I made a complaint to senior management about the s**t that was being spoken on a daily basis.

My partner at the time, also Koori, was once called a "dumb boong" by another female at the local pub one night.

I could keep going.

Racism is prevalent throughout Australia and particularly in rural areas.

How long ago did you play in the GV? Given the fact I played 2004-2005 it may have changed, however generally speaking and from within the club I never heard nor was there remarks about skin colour referenced at any stage whilst playing.

The only time there has been cause for concern was when I called a player a slime ball.. He was italian and took offence to it ( funny because im greek and darker than he is), so we met after the game and discussed it and the perception those comments can be taken by the kids we play with. We both agreed that even the softest of words can be perceived in varying ways and it's best to refrain, whilst I always played on the edge and didn't wholely agree I respected what his opinion and we moved on.

I think the whole racism tag is an agenda being pushed by the media and the AFL as they actually struggle to see the core reason as to why supporters dislike Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that will continue regardless.....the ignoring of our past/recent/future performances.

Unless the dribbling media wish to have the spotlight directed back onto themselves and not on the real action. Then they will climb back on the bandwagon.

I would love for the Hawks to play out of their skins and destroy all-comers for the rest of the season just to see how the medja might deal with it when it would be nigh on impossible to ignore the obvious.

But really I just want a fair go for my footy club......pretty sure it isnt ever going to happen but.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I love the press and opposition fans talking unsubstantiated dross - it makes it so much more fun to be the best club of the modern era and the best professional sporting club in Australia, if not the Southern Hemisphere (I have no knowledge of South American soccer so happy to be wrong there).

Good for you that you have never heard or experienced any racism. It does not mean it is not there, either directly or implied. I live and work in one of the most diverse cities in the world and yet racism in many forms is here.

As for Adam Goodes, he may not be the most likeable individual to many people for many reasons but I'm personally not sure all of the booing is based solely on his rightful use of a nominal platform to highlight years of discrimination for a race of people. If I had a platform, I'd highlight unfairness and discrimination in any walk I felt most resonated with my life and stuff those who don't like it. It would feel the right thing to do.

I copped the wog tag growing up all through high school as I lived in a semi rural town that was very Anglo.. At the time I suppose I didn't like it however it didnt bother me to greatly. I would always sit back and think well I'll be more succesfull than any of you flogs, and low and behold that's been the case. Most people who attempt to chastise and put down others are just losers, I personally wouldn't boo Goodes however I can't stand the bloke which is not a surprise really as I can't stand most people.

How long ago did you play in the GV? Given the fact I played 2004-2005 it may have changed, however generally speaking and from within the club I never heard nor was there remarks about skin colour referenced at any stage whilst playing.

The only time there has been cause for concern was when I called a player a slime ball.. He was italian and took offence to it ( funny because im greek and darker than he is), so we met after the game and discussed it and the perception those comments can be taken by the kids we play with. We both agreed that even the softest of words can be perceived in varying ways and it's best to refrain, whilst I always played on the edge and didn't wholely agree I respected what his opinion and we moved on.

I think the whole racism tag is an agenda being pushed by the media and the AFL as they actually struggle to see the core reason as to why supporters dislike Goodes.
I spent the first 30 years of my life in the GV and finished playing footy in 2009.

He ran an agenda that was the exact reason he was nominated for the award in the first place. I assume you take umbrage with Rosie Batty using her recent win to talk more about domestic violence?

Your referencing of Rosie Batty and the domestic violence issue is irrelevant and desperate.

Goodes's agenda didn't reasonate any emotion with me regarding indigineous vilification, it's hard to attach yourself with issues that were largely relevant over 100 years ago. I will stick with my opinion that we as a society collectively accept and welcome all races, black/White or indifferent...

These are my thoughts exactly, and it is what our club (and Shaun Burgoyne) has stated.

If there is any suggestion that even one supporter is booing for racist reasons, then the booing is racist. The simple fact is, if this is the case, no one should boo.

Your referencing of Rosie Batty and the domestic violence issue is irrelevant and desperate.

Goodes's agenda didn't reasonate any emotion with me regarding indigineous vilification, it's hard to attach yourself with issues that were largely relevant over 100 years ago. I will stick with my opinion that we as a society collectively accept and welcome all races, black/White or indifferent...

If you think the issues of Aboriginal disadvantage and racism went away 100 years ago then I have some magic beans you may be interested in.

And it wasn't desperate or irrelevant. Both people recently won Australian of the Year on the basis of being activists for something. They then used the platform to further their cause. Just because you don't subscribe to Goodes' agenda doesn't make him wrong for pushing it.

Last edited:
Lets just not go to the footy anymore. This whole issue is one big pile of s**t! And for people to say there is a racist element to the boo'ing, have no idea.

So now when Boomer, Mitch, Martin, Ballantyne etc get boo'ed, can they play the racist card?? It's the biggest load of horse s**t I have ever heard in my life. IF the AFL think that boo'ing for ******* Goodes or anyone else for that matter, is going to stop, they have another thing coming. He (The brain dead moron) has made it worse for himself.

I hope and it will look pety, but just to prove a point, the next person to get boo'ed, makes a song and dance about it, just to show how much of a complete w***er Goodes looks like at the moment.

I disagree.

People who think race is the main reason people boo are over simplifying it. People who believe race has nothing to do with it are also over simplifying it.

I think the blame, if that's the right word, has to go to the AOTY committee (I don't think booing was a real issue before then). As a matter of common sense it was a stupid idea to award AOTY to a person who performs in the media week-in and week-out. And let's face it, Adam Goodes is on the TV each and every week of the footy season earning a living.

The demands of AOTY and making a living in the spotlight of the media are often conflicting. Footy is theatre and it is full of villains and heroes; one person can be both in the space of a weekend. Goodes has been both over his career. Differentiating his role as AOTY and a media "personality" was almost impossible for the average fan.

It would have been no different if Sam Mitchell, Joel Selwood, Nick Riewoldt or Boomer Harvey had been awarded the AOTY.

If they complained about a 50m penalty, pushed someone in the back, hit someone high, kneed them in the thigh or clobbered someone in the jaw a portion of the crowd would call for blood - "He thinks he's special because he's AOTY!... Booooo!"

Unfortunately, because Goodes is Aboriginal (and, let's face it, doesn't have a media friendly personality) a racial element of the crowd thinks it's okay to get on board and sink the boots in.

have a listen to KB whinge about Hodge ffs.

this old campaigner has sniped us all year

KB is like any Tigger flog, festered by jealousy of how good our club is. Probably not happy that Tucky smashed his games record too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back