Roast The Ugly v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention his second efforts - absolutely deplorable. His work rate defensively is one of the worst I've seen. I get visibly upset when I look at him and think "this is Jack Gunston's replacement."
Take those out and he is a more than adequate replacement. Jack is a damn fine player but Lynch would almost look as good in that side.

I cannot decide if Lynch's awful first quarters are the result of under-confidence (choking on the big stage full of nerves) or over-confidence (trying to do too much to be the hero)?

Either way, once he settles he's far better though his loopy kicks with no distance will continue to frustrate.

I reckon its a combination of overconfidence and a want to execute a gameplan he can ALMOST pull off but not quite.

Take those out and he is a more than adequate replacement. Jack is a damn fine player but Lynch would almost look as good in that side.

You can't just 'take out' characteristics of a player - that's who he is. He produces some really good moments but his game is riddled with selfishness, poor disposal and terrible defensive effort.

I don't think Lynch has the anywhere near the quality that Gunston has, but each to their own.

Hendo should be on a wing and Harto is fine. Our defence will improve significantly when our midfielders don't let opponents waltz through the centre square with zero pressure. Even so, Hartigan is rarely beaten at the moment and has eliminated those awful clangers.

I agree with the second sentence.
As I said earlier, I don't think we should be criticising individual players for that match. Certainly the root cause of the performance was the abysmal midfield, emphasised by the fact that ours scored only one goal, but theirs scored around ten!

However, I'm still looking for suggestions on how one can optimise the mental attitude of the team consistently before every match: I guess many clubs would pay a lot for that skill. It's not sufficient to say that you hope they turn up with a better attitude next week: they need to be professionally prepared each week to a consistent level.

Big step backwards yesterday .. preparation for the game was not good enough and from the first 5 minutes we looked incompetent. Reminded me of pre Phil Walsh - a good reminder of what we have lost and I am hoping the club can start to consider Bolton seriously as we have to move from the Sanderson culture(sadly the 8 months Phil had with the group was nowhere near long enough)- whatever happened in the last week was not good enough - our tackling, team defence and kicking were all at the bottom of the heap. Taylor Walker has been very inconsistent this year and as captain is letting the group down, he needs to get fitter - Jacobs(who has been v good for our club) needs more support as he physically is unable to do it by himself - he looks tired and uncompetitive on some occasions such as yesterday - ie got smashed by Naitanui and then yesterday Tippett stitched him up. Henderson needs his butt kicked as he picks and chooses - a couple of his kicks yesterday smacked of a player with no mental strength(in a strong side would be sent back to the B grade), Wright has a great attitude but he is not up to AFL standard, Mackay is physically not capable of playing a full season(needs to be rotated more often), - we had too many kids out there yesterday - Van Berlo has to come back in to provide leadership - too many people worried about themselves - it is amazing how quickly the human brain goes back to old ways of thinking(Sanderson did a lot of damage to the culture at AFC) CEY should be playing!! Lever is going to be one of the greats for our club - we have to do everything to keep him!! We need another tall forward - so get after Dixon - it seems like we are losing Patrick Dangerfield and if that is the case then maybe they can give Motlop to Gold Coast - we need another Tall forward more than Motlop - very talented list but it will mean nothing if we can't get a tougher culture. Yesterday was an embarrassment to our club!!

Big step backwards yesterday .. preparation for the game was not good enough and from the first 5 minutes we looked incompetent. Reminded me of pre Phil Walsh - a good reminder of what we have lost and I am hoping the club can start to consider Bolton seriously as we have to move from the Sanderson culture(sadly the 8 months Phil had with the group was nowhere near long enough)- whatever happened in the last week was not good enough - our tackling, team defence and kicking were all at the bottom of the heap. Taylor Walker has been very inconsistent this year and as captain is letting the group down, he needs to get fitter - Jacobs(who has been v good for our club) needs more support as he physically is unable to do it by himself - he looks tired and uncompetitive on some occasions such as yesterday - ie got smashed by Naitanui and then yesterday Tippett stitched him up. Henderson needs his butt kicked as he picks and chooses - a couple of his kicks yesterday smacked of a player with no mental strength(in a strong side would be sent back to the B grade), Wright has a great attitude but he is not up to AFL standard, Mackay is physically not capable of playing a full season(needs to be rotated more often), - we had too many kids out there yesterday - Van Berlo has to come back in to provide leadership - too many people worried about themselves - it is amazing how quickly the human brain goes back to old ways of thinking(Sanderson did a lot of damage to the culture at AFC) CEY should be playing!! Lever is going to be one of the greats for our club - we have to do everything to keep him!! We need another tall forward - so get after Dixon - it seems like we are losing Patrick Dangerfield and if that is the case then maybe they can give Motlop to Gold Coast - we need another Tall forward more than Motlop - very talented list but it will mean nothing if we can't get a tougher culture. Yesterday was an embarrassment to our club!!

I reckon Motlop is a matchwinner! Dangerfield isn't anymore due to his kicking. Motlop would also add to speed and outside running much better than Mackay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot decide if Lynch's awful first quarters are the result of under-confidence (choking on the big stage full of nerves) or over-confidence (trying to do too much to be the hero)?

Either way, once he settles he's far better though his loopy kicks with no distance will continue to frustrate.

I don't think it's under confidence. I tend to notice a lot of his errors coming from him over estimating his skills and trying to thread a Brodie Smith like pass to 1 Crow inbetween 4 opponents, but instead delivering a hospital floater that Brad Symes would be proud of. Needs to know his limits.

Healy this arvo had a term for the pressure area that is the stoppage and the value of the player getting it outside. This is where the stat watchers miss Thommo's weakness. The ball is mostly still in the pressure zone after he gives it off. It's simply because he gets the pill while being close to stationary and has no leg power get away from or to take on the tackler and get through enough to give to someone in space.

Put simply we don't stream forward out of stoppages, but our opponents sure do. And whether his fans like it or not, Thommo is a major reason for both occurrences. And of course that our midfield coach has proven incapable of doing anything about it.

And then we have our issue with our midfield defending oppositions transition out of our attack. Which, again is absolutely diabolical. Can't really blame Thommo though, he's normally deep forward at the stoppage or contest, so it's obviously not his job to be involved in that defensive press. His job is to jog back at leisure and meet the next centre bounce or the next stoppage he can amble to.

This.

Bottom line is , he hurts us, he's killing us with his slow pace, slow disposal, slow / lack of chase and his average 4/5 free kicks offered to the opposition per game.
We cannot have any forward thrust, cohesion or slick movement, not to mention defensive chase & tackling from this dinosoaur of the game & the more possessions & brownlow votes he knocks up the worse off we are as a team.
Get rid of him now along with Wright & Mckay, get BOB, CEY & Grigg in & we can fair dinkum take a crack at the finals & do some serious damage....a repeat of 97 is not out of the question.
If he plays on next year Danger def walks as he knows all hope for success at the club is lost, BOB, the kid of capable of taking this club to another level may also walk for fear of not getting games & another lost season.
In an alternate reality Thommo retired to become a fireman, and Kane Cornes played on.

Yep. We need a 'leaper' second string ruckman to match with Natinui, Tippett types. Jacobs is carrying a huge load but unfortunately his 'earth bound' approach is setting a tone for our centre contests and resultant play. To be dinkum, Hendo should be dropped - his 'effort' was glaringly substandard.

UGLY: Im not seeing much of Phil Walsh in that performance, or the press conferences leading up to it, or since. Just an opinion but I reckon our football department has been very un Phil Walsh like for the past 2 weeks.

Geez, here's another one rewriting history, lets all remember Phil fondly but it's not the first time we have played like this. Bulldogs or GWS games ring a bell.

can we please stop using the word cheat when referring to the goal review ****up

gross incompetence does not equate to cheating

UGLY" The lack of pressure around the ground.. 38 tackles is not good enough! poor goal kicking yet again!
and the over confident crows fans that thought we would win. Crows fans do not have the right to be cocky or confident ever!

umpires do not cheat! this is not FIFA! IT GOES BOTH WAYS. Some weeks we get a wrong call go out way and the next it goes against us. If we were playing good footy and winning we would not notice the umpiring.

re-watching the first quarter last night (God knows why), we actually didn't have one of our "poor starts". After 7 minutes or so were basically level and had had just as many, if not more, good chances. Both side had settled, we had done well, the crowd was barely involved (but given its the SCG that hardly counts)

Then it all turned to poo very quickly.

Geez, the SCG is a pathetic little oval. Yeah I know it is wider than the Adelaide Oval, but stuff that. The primary school ground length is just a joke. Only thing worse was our total inability to either exploit it or stop the Swans from doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back