UFC 193 - Fight Week!

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely a poor card for a proposed 70k show. Main event should be awesome, Hunt vs Bigfoot... Well, they're both on the decline.

Other than that, pretty damn weak. The show that Australia was promised has become UFC 194 by the looks of it.

Definitely a poor card for a proposed 70k show.

People are having a laugh if they genuinely think this event is going to draw 70,000, aren't they? No sporting or entertainment event has ever topped the 65K mark at Etihad Stadium.

I'd be surprised if this breaks the UFC attendance record, without any papering of the house or fudging of the figures.

Last edited:

I'm so intrigued to see how this goes when tickets go on sale. On this board and elsewhere, I'm sensing a lot more negativity than I'd expected, and a lot more than I'm sure UFC expected.

Given they were only just in Adelaide, they were in Brisbane less than a year ago, and they've done Sydney a few times, I think one of the big risks is that people aren't going to travel for this show, and it's going to dilute the potential attendees. (That's without mentioning NZ too)

On top of that, I expect that I'm going to end up paying at least twice as much as I did in Sydney a few years ago for seats that will be twice as far away. And the card that we're getting in Melbourne is an absolute piece of s**t compared to what I watched in Sydney. 5 years ago I got to see Big Nog vs Valasquez, as someone who first started watching MMA through PRIDE, seeing Wanderlei and Cro-cop was incredible.

What's this card got that is anything like that? I know that UFC is kind of struggling to develop stars across the board at the moment and various circumstances around guys like Jones, Silva and GSP haven't helped... but in some ways it'll serve themselves right if the crowd figures tank, because I believe this card takes it for granted that Australians pay big money for global events. (If they could just sell over 20k tickets so it has to stay at Docklands... then if they had to drastically reduce prices come November, I'd be happy with that :D )

I can't belive how negative you guys have got a freaking PPV with a title fight and not just any title fight one of the premier divisions the sport has to offer. If you think you were getting Connor or Rousey WAKE UP NOW. This will sell well

Eh, you're just being an apologist. Beyond the title fight, no other fight has any real implications.

I can't belive how negative you guys have got a freaking PPV with a title fight and not just any title fight one of the premier divisions the sport has to offer. If you think you were getting Connor or Rousey WAKE UP NOW. This will sell well
You were the most negative poster in this thread 2 weeks ago. :S

You were the most negative poster in this thread 2 weeks ago. :S
I was being more realistic, I just think it's the casuals that were expecting everything you know rousey followed by a Connor and having Brock lesser comeback fight. Jon Jones coming back lol. I think when it's all done on paper this will be in the top 5 events

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was being more realistic, I just think it's the casuals that were expecting everything you know rousey followed by a Connor and having Brock lesser comeback fight. Jon Jones coming back lol. I think when it's all done on paper this will be in the top 5 events

Now you're just being facetious.

The 'casual fan' wanted people that they've heard of - not random Australian guys who either failed in TUF or who, as I say, we could've seen in our local community centre a couple of years ago. People only 'recognise' these fighters for what they are - also rans who are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of the UFC and in the grand scheme of their weight division, and who in the most part wouldn't even have jobs with UFC if the company wasn't wanting to run 2-3 shows here a year.

And guess what? When you've booked a 65k seat stadium, it's the 'casual fan' that you need to impress! There ain't that many committed diehard apologists here who will spend hundreds of dollars on whatever s**t they serve us.

Now you're just being facetious.

The 'casual fan' wanted people that they've heard of - not random Australian guys who either failed in TUF or who, as I say, we could've seen in our local community centre a couple of years ago. People only 'recognise' these fighters for what they are - also rans who are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of the UFC and in the grand scheme of their weight division, and who in the most part wouldn't even have jobs with UFC if the company wasn't wanting to run 2-3 shows here a year.

And guess what? When you've booked a 65k seat stadium, it's the 'casual fan' that you need to impress! There ain't that many committed diehard apologists here who will spend hundreds of dollars on whatever s**t they serve us.
I disagree have you seen the stats of how many travel for an event I still think this is not a bad card and they will have no problems filling Etihad.

Honestly the casuals will go just because it's the UFC, it's the fans that have followed the sport for a while who are being let down. We don't want to see a bunch of local guys that wouldn't get a spot on the card (or even be in the UFC) if they weren't from here, we want to see some fights that bare some kind of meaning.

As it stands there are 3 genuine main card fights while the rest should be on the undercard of a Fightpass show. It's fine for a regular 15k event in Vegas, but it's pretty abysmal for a proposed 70k supershow. Compare this card to UFC 129. It's garbage.

Honestly the casuals will go just because it's the UFC, it's the fans that have followed the sport for a while who are being let down. We don't want to see a bunch of local guys that wouldn't get a spot on the card (or even be in the UFC) if they weren't from here, we want to see some fights that bare some kind of meaning.

As it stands there are 3 genuine main card fights while the rest should be on the undercard of a Fightpass show. It's fine for a regular 15k event in Vegas, but it's pretty abysmal for a proposed 70k supershow. Compare this card to UFC 129. It's garbage.
189 was a pretty special card honestly look at this months card in Vegas look at the Brazil card. It's really not that bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they'll get a really big attendance because it's the 1st time they're coming to Melbourne. If they had an Australian that could main event the card, they'd fare even better. The card's not great and it's not terrible. They're really banking on the novelty of a UFC card in Melbourne to get people in the doors though.

I'm certainly not going. I'd probably go if it was in Perth and the tickets weren't really expensive. * the cage ban.

The fact is guys, you're judging it as a Rod Laver Arena type show. They want to put it in a 70k capacity where the majority of people will be paying good money just to watch the big screen. Look at the effort the UFC was willing to go to for the Dallas card, they tried giving them McGregor AND Rousey.

The fact is guys, you're judging it as a Rod Laver Arena type show. They want to put it in a 70k capacity where the majority of people will be paying good money just to watch the big screen. Look at the effort the UFC was willing to go to for the Dallas card, they tried giving them McGregor AND Rousey.
FACT UFC never ever said anything about Dallas was just fans talking like they have for years

Its not a stacked card, its not a s**t card, its a PPV quality card across the board. Its the first PPV quality card outside of the US, Brazil and Canada (i stand to be corrected here) therefore its worthy of a stadium in Oz. We all (me included) got caught up in the hype of what we were gonna get (i was super skeptical at first, then i was underwhelmed, now im all good with it).

At the end of the day this is as good a card as any other (outside of a handful of STACKED cards).

I'll be honest, I expected a little more from this card. But who are we kidding? it'll be amazing either way. I speak for myself when I say I've adored this sport for close to a decade, and frankly, they could have had Joe Rogan vs Bob Sapp as the Mainevent and I'd still go.

Even if the entire card turns out to be a pile of pig s**t. Condit vs Lawler will be an absolute war. No two ways about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back