MMA-UFC UFC 291

Remove this Banner Ad

Fun card for sure

Jan needs to wrestle
Ferg is going to get battered
Chiesa/Holland will be fun/strange/back and forth
Pereira is a wild man, who knows
Who knows what is going to happen in the Lewis fight.

Fight of year DP v Gaethje!

Shows that you don't need a title fight to build a great card.

No the BMF gimmick doesn't count
A great card's a great card. Would I prefer all fights drop a spot with a title fight added up top - sure... But yeah, no complaints. She stacked.
Is the BMF actually a happening thing in the main?

I'm usually the one pumping these cards up, but I might play the contrarian here - I think it's actually a fairly empty event in terms of significance. The main and co-main are really interesting fights with real meaning behind them, but from there none of the rest really matter a great deal.

What it should be is entertaining, I'll definitely give it that.

Just watched Poirier-Gaethje 1 again on YouTube. Highly entertaining brawl. Gaethje has improved his fight IQ since then but Poirier has also gotten better over time. For mine Poirier edges it again owing to his slight reach advantage and superior footwork. Just feel he’s the better overall athlete.

Must say I wasn’t originally a fan of the BMF belt concept but the way the UFC is promoting it here just works. Two absolute dogs who’ve produced many memorable scraps for the company. Both worthy successors to Nate and Jorge.

I suspect Gaethje retires if he loses.

Last edited:
Completely ignoring the BMF nonsense personally 🤮

It's been enough time since their last fight that not only have they both improved a lot in their overall games, but they've maybe also both lost a step. They both looked very hittable in their Oliveira and Chandler fights, but with their offence looking better than ever. If it goes 5 rounds they'll be a pair of absolutely battered men in that cage. Leaning to DP TKO.

Completely ignoring the BMF nonsense personally 🤮

It's been enough time since their last fight that not only have they both improved a lot in their overall games, but they've maybe also both lost a step. They both looked very hittable in their Oliveira and Chandler fights, but with their offence looking better than ever. If it goes 5 rounds they'll be a pair of absolutely battered men in that cage. Leaning to DP TKO.
Looks like Poirier is looking to avoid this as well - https://www.si.com/mma/2023/07/25/ufc-291-dustin-poirier-justin-gaethje-title-shot-on-the-line

“I don’t think it goes 25 minutes,” says Poirier. “If it does, me and him will chat about it in the hospital, because that’s where we’ll be going.”

On Embedded Gaethje said for him it’s a straight up car crash. Two men walk in, one walks out. Words pretty close to that.

He’s one scary dude.
Both guys are true examples of that warrior mindset, for better or worse. There might be some crap here and there, especially during fight promo, but generally level-headed, decent guys who live that life; go into that cage prepared and willing not to come out.

On Embedded Gaethje said for him it’s a straight up car crash. Two men walk in, one walks out. Words pretty close to that.

He’s one scary dude.

Yeah I feel like wherever he grew up he was the toughest guy in town and even the big footballer dudes would have avoided him.

Pereira is ******* scary too, I've got Jan on the weekend though, if he does the smart thing and takes it to the canvas he should win well, good bet at 1.80 too.

Card is not bad overall, Jake Matthews fighting too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I feel like wherever he grew up he was the toughest guy in town and even the big footballer dudes would have avoided him.

Pereira is ******* scary too, I've got Jan on the weekend though, if he does the smart thing and takes it to the canvas he should win well, good bet at 1.80 too.

Card is not bad overall, Jake Matthews fighting too.
Jan didnt look great last time, is getting old, and Pereira hits like a truck. Stylistically Jan can do it but i just sense AP landing something. No bets, just watching the 2 main fights as a fan

Medic not a bad bet at longer odds imo

Holland has the fight IQ of a rock and no TDD. Perfect matchup for Chiesa to blanket a win but hope he gets smoked, so boring

Wonderboy v Pereira cancelled one of them didn’t make weight.

Replaced on main PPV card by Black Beast v Rogerio de Lima.

Bit of a bummer. Was really looking forward to that one.

Last edited:
Are the fights on at the same time as the boxing tomorrow, keen for both tbh
Yeah this sucks. Hope Bud/Spence doesnt clash with the 2 main fights here

According to sportsbet
Jan/AP is at 115 and the main at 145
Bud/Spence is at 130 but boxing always runs late

Might get lucky with some quick finishes in UFC and boxing running 30-45 mins over

Yeah this sucks. Hope Bud/Spence doesnt clash with the 2 main fights here

According to sportsbet
Jan/AP is at 115 and the main at 145
Bud/Spence is at 130 but boxing always runs late

Might get lucky with some quick finishes in UFC and boxing running 30-45 mins over
When I watched the boxing pre-fight presser, the host made a point that the PPV has a "special" start time of 8pm EST (10am AEST)....The main event ringwalk is expected around 1pm AEST & the UFC PPV starts at 12pm AEST...So I think there has been a bit of a concerted effort for at least both main events to hopefully not clash.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back