MMA-UFC UFC 293

Remove this Banner Ad

This sport is crazy. Probably the first time I’ve actually been going for Izzy and he loses. I’d love to see a technical breakdown of how Strickland is so successful. Sure the Philly shell stance is good defensively but he still seems so upright and stationary. I thought Izzy would have been able to piece him up.
Overall some fun fights in what looked like a fairly underwhelming card. Would loved to have seen tai get a knockout

I got money on Izzy by KO as well, you just know it's gonna end up being a boring 50-45 with nothing landing now
Very close to correct. However it was 49-46. Oh, and a few landed.

49-46 is a clear margin, no rematch please.

An Izzy v Strickland rematch in Vegas will be massive. You'd expect Adesanya to show up a lot sharper than the version we saw today and if he can get the W then we may even see a trilogy fight. DDP blew his chance and really has no option but to wait now. That's what you get for turning down a title shot when it presents itself.

I don’t know about that. He looked his usual sharp self in the pre-fight stuff and looked good walking to the octagon. I think he was just genuinely bamboozled by Strickland’s unorthodox style and willingness to press the action. Sean was fearless in there, a bit like Pereira was in fight 1 with Izzy. Not saying Izzy couldn’t beat him in a re-match but wow is he going to have to do some soul searching. That was a one sided affair we saw today.

Eight hours on I’m still having a hard time reconciling the seemingly erratic, redneck personality of Strickland out of the octagon with the dead calm, incredibly disciplined fighter we just saw for 25 minutes inside it. Just a hell of a performance.

Last edited:

Did it seem like Izzy was saying something about his neck when he was talking to Strickland after the fight? I'm sure I heard him say "that's no bs" and point to his neck. Perhaps he was compromised in some way? Not making excuses but I don't think it's a stretch to say that was a very un-Izzy like performance. He was very inaccurate with his striking.
Sean clarified he asked him not to talk about his dead dog anymore who's dick he played with. That was the big breaking thing he needed to talk to him about

An Izzy v Strickland rematch in Vegas will be massive. You'd expect Adesanya to show up a lot sharper than the version we saw today and if he can get the W then we may even see a trilogy fight. DDP blew his chance and really has no option but to wait now. That's what you get for turning down a title shot when it presents itself.

Not sure where Khamzat sits in terms of getting a title shot but you'd have to think he's a chance should he beat Costa. Maybe Dana punishes DDP by forcing him to face Khamzat?
Nah DDP was always set up to fail

A 12 week turn around was always going to be hard and was set up for Izzy to pick off an easy kill

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Nah DDP was always set up to fail

A 12 week turn around was always going to be hard and was set up for Izzy to pick off an easy kill

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Strickland fought 10 weeks ago and wasn't even confirmed to fight till about a month ago and still won. T

Make it two semi finals:

Khamzat v Costa

DDP v Izzy

Winners fight each other to become No.1 contender to fight Strickland.

I’d prefer this than Strickland v Izzy re-match. Personally I think Izzy needs some time off after 2 losses in 3 fights. Reckon coach Eugene will be thinking about some time off for him too. Izzy looked the worst he’s ever looked yesterday. He is 34yo maybe age is catching up with him a bit.

Cormier said he thinks an immediate re-match is the wrong way to go after the fight.

Make it two semi finals:

Khamzat v Costa

DDP v Izzy

I’d prefer this than Strickland v Izzy re-match. Personally I think Izzy needs some time off after 2 losses in 3 fights. Reckon coach Eugene will be thinking about some time off for him too. Izzy looked the worst he’s ever looked yesterday. He is 34yo maybe age is catching up with him a bit.

Cormier said he thinks an immediate re-match is the wrong way to go after the fight.
Love this except it shelves Strickland for about a year atleast. Think you give him the winner of Khamzat vs Costa and then Izzy afterwards. DDP might have to fight again

Neither Costa or Khamzat have done enough to warrant a title shot. Rob's had 2 losses in his last 3.

DDP is the most worthy of the contenders to get a shot

And a rematch for Izzy just shouldn't happen

Which is why I think DDP vs Strickland just makes sense.

Kickboxing isn't real just throw one two's lol.
I think what isnt real is being a pure counter fighter. Gotta be able to change gears.

I think Izzy has been really lucky with the judges, I thought he lost the Romero fight clearly and Whitaker 2 at best was a draw. In both of these fights he wasnt on the front foot and squeeked the decision which I think solidified his reactive style of title defense. Unlike other long term GOAT level champs, he hasn't evolved as a fighter.

Neither Costa or Khamzat have done enough to warrant a title shot. Rob's had 2 losses in his last 3.

1. DDP vs Strickland
2. Winner of Costa vs Chimaev vs winner of DDP/Strickland
3. Izzy vs Rob 3 -> winner fights loser of Costa/Chimaev for next title shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make it two semi finals:

Khamzat v Costa

DDP v Izzy

The pay cheques are different now so he may comply without kicking up a fuss, but Strickland has often expressed his desire to fight regularly. That proposal would likely see him out for a year.

This doesn't matter.

Personally, I like DDP vs Strickland with Costa/Khamzat winner either getting a title shot or facing Cannonier. Izzy sitting out for a little while seems sensible.

I dont like Izzy will get a rematch but he will.

Strickland v Izzy
Chimaev v Costa booked
DDP v Cannonier
Rob v whoever is left. Not that fussed, hes miles from a shot.

It should be Strickland v DDP and Izzy v Rob imo

I don't like the immediate rematch either. I think Izzy needs some time off, too short a turn around from the Poatan win. He didn't get knocked out but experienced a long of trauma in that one.

Also wonder if his hunger died a bit after defeating his demon.

I don't like the immediate rematch either. I think Izzy needs some time off, too short a turn around from the Poatan win. He didn't get knocked out but experienced a long of trauma in that one.

Also wonder if his hunger died a bit after defeating his demon.

I agree.

As Strickland was screaming his guts out at him during the last minute of fight, unleashing a lifetime of pent up rage and emotion, I wonder if Izzy thought “Sh1t … that’s how angry and hungry I used to be.”

Over time, fame and money tends to take the edge off. It’s kind of unavoidable.

I dont like Izzy will get a rematch but he will.

Strickland v Izzy
Chimaev v Costa booked
DDP v Cannonier
Rob v whoever is left. Not that fussed, hes miles from a shot.

It should be Strickland v DDP and Izzy v Rob imo
Don't mind Izzy vs Rob if Izzy is keen to keep it rolling (and doesn't get the rematch). Keep the other matchups, with Vettori the only other top guy without a fight.

The other option for Rob or Vettori could be as the benchmark for one of the younger guys. Brendan Allen is on a streak (unlikely to be champ material) or Aliskerov after a win at 294 (more likely). Might be too early for gate-keeping after one poor performance for Rob and the ever-competitive Vettori, but a win over a hype guy, or as much hype as there is in MW right now, could put them back on track.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back