Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it have been because of the price we'd be paying him? Ditch the bigger bucks and bring in a player of known ability that we were able to get cheap?
He was being overpaid on his last contract but if anything his new deal would of been quite cheap cos his form has been poor from 2012 to 2014. Look at the pies. They are now loading up on treloer and going for kruezer. Travs contract ain't hampering that.

He was being overpaid on his last contract but if anything his new deal would of been quite cheap cos his form has been poor from 2012 to 2014. Look at the pies. They are now loading up on treloer and going for kruezer. Travs contract ain't hampering that.
Did they have more young blokes than us? Maybe that helped? We still had a handful of premiership/AA players on pretty good coin, I think- probably more than they did.

Bit selective. We have also seen the form of Selwood, Taylor and Hawkins go backwards this year and they are in the prime age bracket!
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-player-ratings

Selwood rated 4th best midfielder in the AFL.

Taylor rated 2nd best key defender in the AFL.

Hawkins rated 5th best key forward in the AFL.

Yeah, these guys have really fallen off the pace.

Truth is they look worse because they are under more pressure because they are surrounded by much worse players.

Travis this year would have been in the last year of a 4 year deal signed in 2011 on which he was on about 450k a year.

Moving him wasnt about getting Clark, it was about cap space for Dangerfield.

Travis this year would have been in the last year of a 4 year deal signed in 2011 on which he was on about 450k a year.

Um danger doesn't come to next year. Varcoes contract as you say has expired by then thus has nothing to do with danger at all.

You have to love how a player becomes infinitely better the minute they leave the club.

I can't remember many tears being shed when Hunt, Hamling and Varcoe left. The former spent most of last year in the VFL, Hamling never played a game and Varcoe was routinely criticised for his inconsistent form over the last three years of his tenure.

Does anyone in their right mind think we'd have been a better side with them in it, as opposed to getting valuable experience into the likes of Lang, Kolodjashni and Gregson? One could argue the output of those three was superior to anything the former trio produced in their last few years at the club.

Um danger doesn't come to next year. Varcoes contract as you say has expired by then thus has nothing to do with danger at all.

The new cap rules allowing you to run up to 5 % under the cap in any one year so you can then go to 105 % the next year and vice versa, came into play last year.

So we moved Varcoe to clear 450k from the 2015 cap, so we could frontload existing contracts while still being well under the 2015 cap, thereby allowing us more room to run into 105 % in 2016 to assist with heavily frontloading a short term offer to Dangerfield so Adelaide cant match it.

I don't think Mitch will be a walk-up start in our top 22 next season, as he would've been this year had he stayed fit. This means the onus will be on him to play for his spot, which is good for the club and will hopefully be good for Mitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Mitch will be a walk-up start in our top 22 next season, as he would've been this year had he stayed fit. This means the onus will be on him to play for his spot, which is good for the club and will hopefully be good for Mitch.

Really? I mean there's certainly a lot of competition (probably more than at any other club) but if we're playing him primarily as a forward I'd have him ahead of Walker, and if we're playing him as a forward/ruck I'd have him ahead of Vardy.

Anyway. Big Mitch was lured to Geelong to help out Tommy up forward. Promising pre season but didn't quite have the impact we were after. Obviously coming from a long way back. Another pre season and fingers crossed the obvious talent he possesses comes shining through. Would be massive if he could impact up forward in conjunction with Hawk.

Otherwise I wonder if he could follow the path of Otto. Recruited as a forward only to become a dominant premiership winning ruckman. I know he's had some injury concerns but let's remember that Otto's injuries went on forever, despite Balmeys 2-3 week diagnosis.

I know he's had some injury concerns but let's remember that Otto's injuries went on forever, despite Balmeys 2-3 week diagnosis.

let's not forget Ottens was 26 by the time he was playing in the ruck.
Clark is 28 and has a much more fragile body.

If we get another 50 games out of Clark, we should be extremely happy. Ottens was able to play another 100 games by the time 2006 rolled around.

Yes and had we lost him this year it'd likely have been as a Free Agent. So whilst I agree that getting cap space ready for this year was a primary reason. I'd say they were also proactive and decided to get something in return for Travis last year as opposed to FA compo being cancelled out.

Really? I mean there's certainly a lot of competition (probably more than at any other club) but if we're playing him primarily as a forward I'd have him ahead of Walker, and if we're playing him as a forward/ruck I'd have him ahead of Vardy.
I respect your opinion, but I think Vardy is going to be a brilliant player for us if he can stay fit. Better than Clark. I'm not saying that Mitch won't play for us, I'm just saying he'll need to prove he can hold his spot because there's going to be competition.

That's nice. Is he still a footballer though?

That's a very good question. People seem to be assuming he will play next year. I've seen his name in most of people's best 22 teams. But I think there is a real possibility he will not play next season. I hope he does but the reality is that he didn't play after round 9 this year, no games in 2014 and only 4 games in 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back