List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Mitch Hardie

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably what I got out of seeing those latest highlights.

Looks like a good honest footballer for the lower level... Not getting my hopes up he will do much in the AFL but my fingers are at least crossed.

He looks very fit and found lots of space + tackles hard which is a good sign... On the negative, he muffed a bunch of unpressured kicks and turned it over a bit.

As you say... Needs to "polish up" and will get the opportunity in our system to make it if he is good enough.

Good luck to him.
Good sum.

I see a player who is transferable if he can adapt to the speed and strength of opponents. AFL is quicker, and opponents will be bigger and stronger.. but he should be able to quickly show something at VFL level. ..and with that fluffing those kicks..as you mention will garner extra critism. One bad mistake can make or break you. Basically I want to see him in our side.More info required.
I guess we soon see.

Good sum.

I see a player who is transferable if he can adapt to the speed and strength of opponents. AFL is quicker, and opponents will be bigger and stronger.. but he should be able to quickly show something at VFL level. ..and with that fluffing those kicks..as you mention will garner extra critism. One bad mistake can make or break you. Basically I want to see him in our side.More info required.
I guess we soon see.

I'm also happy to see him get a run... probably because I'm actually happy enough now losing games this year to get info on players and to fast-track them for the future.

Probably what I got out of seeing those latest highlights.

Looks like a good honest footballer for the lower level... Not getting my hopes up he will do much in the AFL but my fingers are at least crossed.

He looks very fit and found lots of space + tackles hard which is a good sign... On the negative, he muffed a bunch of unpressured kicks and turned it over a bit.

As you say... Needs to "polish up" and will get the opportunity in our system to make it if he is good enough.

Good luck to him.

Caught up with a mate this morning who played directly on Hardie in the SANFL last season. He said very hard runner and very polished with the ball, damaging.

Iwonder why - not even in the 2nds -his Woodville coach was saying - chuck him straight in - and that wasthe Geelong seniors

He's likely only arrived in the last 48 hours and had minimal training opportunities

He's now got 2 weeks to train with his new teammates before making his debut in the hoops

Iwonder why - not even in the 2nds -his Woodville coach was saying - chuck him straight in - and that wasthe Geelong seniors
I imagine it would be a lot to ask for any of the mid season draftees that have had to move interstate to play this weekend. Short turnaround to settle all the contracts and financial details, say goodbye to your old team, arrange to move your life/family and possessions and then play in a new team without having much chance to meet any of your teammates all in the space of a couple of days.

Hardie was hardly out of shape, but the 25-year-old slashed 29 seconds off his 2km time trial best over a huge pre-season and carried that determination into the season proper.

The bull exploded in the midfield for the Eagles this season, dominating as an inside midfielder with 25.7 disposals, 5.6 clearances and 3.3 inside-50s.

Hardie was hardly out of shape, but the 25-year-old slashed 29 seconds off his 2km time trial best over a huge pre-season and carried that determination into the season proper.

The bull exploded in the midfield for the Eagles this season, dominating as an inside midfielder with 25.7 disposals, 5.6 clearances and 3.3 inside-50s.

Love to have said ..what the times were.. 29 seconds ...off 7 minutes?

The coach sure gives him a good reference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They probably wanted him to train with the team before he played and there wasnt time to do it last week. Vfl having another bye this week though doesnt help.

Love to have said ..what the times were.. 29 seconds ...off 7 minutes?

The coach sure gives him a good reference.
The article didn’t list his time which is slightly annoying - but still good dedication to drop by that

It's funny how 1 week and a win can change things so much.

A few days ago it was... Get him in kinda talk.

Now we hit the bye after a win that keeps us somewhat alive and with key mids to come back to the side next match.

All of a sudden it's gone from looking almost like he was close to playing straight away to being way back in the line.

Hardie will just need to get cracking in the VFL now and play extremely well to get a birth in the seniors.

Geelong draftee Mitch Hardie plots ‘long term’ stay with Cats​

A SANFL teammate of Mitch Hardie was picked up by Geelong and delisted just months after the mid-season draft last year but the newest Cat is taking a longer-term view.

Mid-season draftee Mitch Hardie is planning on a “long term stay” in Geelong as he heeds the lessons of a former teammate.

Hardie was plucked by the Cats in last week’s draft, 12 months after his Woodville-West Torrens teammate Zane Williams.

Williams only lasted three months with the Cats and was delisted at the end of Geelong’s season without playing an AFL game, with the forward later calling on the AFL to introduce 18-month contracts to give mid-year draftees a chance at settling into the system.

The Cats learnt from last year and appear determined to give Hardie more of an opportunity, after carefully plotting out a draft strategy with its end-of-season list position in mind.

“Seeing Zane come over here and do what he did last year was incredible for him and he is such a great person and a great mate and I have so much respect for him and what he was able to do,” Hardie said.

“There are lessons learned from everything in life and I’m sure he took plenty of lessons away from last year and I think Geelong learned some lessons from last year too.

“They have been open and honest about that (last year) and I think that is such a great thing about them as the Geelong footy club, they have come in with a different approach and plan and with the end game of hopefully being a long term stay here.

“That is what I am hoping to achieve and speaking to them, that is what they are hoping too.”

Having been drafted at age 25 and with Geelong facing an injury crisis in its midfield, there was talk Hardie would be plugged straight into the Cats line-up.

But he didn’t play in the VFL on the weekend and that injury list should shorten after Geelong’s bye with Patrick Dangerfield, Max Holmes and Mitch Duncan all closing in on a return.

“At the moment (an AFL debut) certainly isn’t a focus at all, it is just about getting in and meeting everyone and getting the respect of everyone around you,” Hardie said.

“I haven’t put a timeline or any real pressure on myself to be playing AFL footy straight away. Obviously that is the end goal but really now is about just getting in and earning the trust and respect of the group.”

It’s hard to infer what Geelong might have learned from the Williams experience and that they were open about with Hardie. Perhaps some specific effort they needed to put into developing Williams in the 6 months. Interesting comment.

I read a small hint that the club may've realised that they didn't assist ZW as much as they could've to help him reach his potential in the allotted time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back