List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly right. Supporting Collingwood is in this weird obsessive category where it's like a religion or cult.

I actually had a soft spot for them previously, but the whole Henry thing has left a sour taste.

Players are human beings. They have families that they love and other interests outside of football. Supporters never want to hear it, but footy is basically a job for these guys.

You see it every year with trades. Collingwood supporters coming out saying "He'll be at Collingwood next year, nothing surer".....and it NEVER ends up happening.

Cameron, Lynch, Taranto, Dangerfield, the list could go on forever. They just don't land the big fish, they end up with rejects like Markov & Frampton.

Unfortunately, if your one goal in life isn't to play for Collingwood then you're basically dead to them.

Its ironic really, as the players they've held onto have done a damn good job breaking their hearts for 70 years.
Players with other options just see clearly how badly their fans turn on the players when performances aren't up to standard.

You'd want no part of it

May I post in your forum?

Glad to see Henry had a good year (and played well vs us as expected). Fine kid, all the skills and was a hard worker so he'll address his defensive and fitness sides, you've already seen what he can do with the ball and in the air.

A few comments about his time at the Pies here, he was competing for a medium forward spot with Jamie Elliot as well as Johnson and the resting mids (De Goey, Adams, Lipinski etc) and was good enough to grab a spot for stretches . We rated him as a very skilled prospect and were sad to lose him, but he wanted to play with his bro (and for his childhood club, that's a good thing).

Will Henry turn out better than Johnson? Right now Ollie is a firsts player albeit at a lower club, he gets the chocolates. Johnson is a freak so don't rule him out.

I haven't seem where he finished in your B&F, I'd be very happy if he was top 10.

Will Henry turn out better than Johnson? Right now Ollie is a firsts player albeit at a lower club, he gets the chocolates. Johnson is a freak so don't rule him out.
With all respect to Ash Johnson, I'd suggest that Ollie Henry has already overtaken him, and is four years younger.

I haven't seem where he finished in your B&F, I'd be very happy if he was top 10.
Johnson would need to find plenty to be as good as Henry long term... But if you win the flag this year who cares (flags are priority #1).

But Henry>Johnson (who has plenty of talent) every day of the week and Henry will probably extend the gap he has already put on him as time goes on.

With all respect to Ash Johnson, I'd suggest that Ollie Henry has already overtaken him, and is four years younger.
I'm quite willing to bet that Johnson will never have a season as good as Ollie's 2023....and in 5-10 years time we might be looking back at 2023 as just an 'okay' year for Ollie, such is his talent.

I'm surprised by that posters faith in Johnson. Most of the Pies supporters I know and have seen on here want him nowhere near the team.

Lazy, picks and chooses when to go, stuff like that. They haven't forgiven him for his 2022 finals series is the main sentiment I hear.

Some would say the same about Ollie, but as you mention he's 4 years younger, and it's a much easier pill to swallow when he's kicking 40+ goals as apposed to 20.

Glad to see Henry had a good year (and played well vs us as expected). Fine kid, all the skills and was a hard worker so he'll address his defensive and fitness sides, you've already seen what he can do with the ball and in the air.

A few comments about his time at the Pies here, he was competing for a medium forward spot with Jamie Elliot as well as Johnson and the resting mids (De Goey, Adams, Lipinski etc) and was good enough to grab a spot for stretches . We rated him as a very skilled prospect and were sad to lose him, but he wanted to play with his bro (and for his childhood club, that's a good thing).

Lower club aye?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even a slight drop off for Mitch Duncan is interesting, given how accurate these two lists are (I'd argue, but most here wouldn't, that Stewart's stats/performances have been just as good as 2022, and he's been in our best players threads and coaches votes more often. No other players jump out as questionable).

It also seems that the decline of Dangerfield and Hawkins has been exaggerated, especially with their injury interruptions and lack of time to build fitness at various points.

I’m biased as he’s probably been my favourite player for a decade but Hawkins was in probably most people’s rolling all Australian teams until the last 4-5 weeks of the season and he was about 12th in the board MVP voting. I think it’s just taken for granted how good he is and if he’s not absolutely owning a game it’s as though he’s played a shocker or something

I’m biased as he’s probably been my favourite player for a decade but Hawkins was in probably most people’s rolling all Australian teams until the last 4-5 weeks of the season and he was about 12th in the board MVP voting. I think it’s just taken for granted how good he is and if he’s not absolutely owning a game it’s as though he’s played a shocker or something
I had a similar take on Hawkins. He's a bit like Duncan, understandably he looks slow or laboured at times and yes, you need a relatively nimble support cast around him to provide rapid pressure etc - but his output remained strong.

3.35 goals/assists a game despite playing unfit to begin with and injured late on. 2022 he had 3.76 a game in what was considered an exceptional season, and rightly so. But I think everyone would agree that the quality of supply this season comfortably accounted for the 10% drop in his scoring metrics.

What didn't help was when Cameron lost his mobility and firepower, plus Rohan being in and out of the team. They rarely got to operate in full flight as a trio and when they did, we were down a couple of quality midfielders.

Don’t pretend it was nothing more than a cheap shot at the club
5 haunting finals losses to our mob in 16 years will do that to you.

Like just about every club outside of the Hawks, any supposed 'rivalry' is pitifully one-sided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes that's my feeling: right now Henry is a first 18 player who kicked 40+ goals, hence my question about the b&f.

Johnson pushed Henry out of the side last year, by being an even more outrageously talented kick. He's a freak, slower and skinnier than Henry but I'd say the smartest player at the club ahead of Pendles and the sneaky Ginnivan.

Both guys won us matches, pretty good for a second year player and a mid-season rookie. Henry was obviously a good prospect but Johnson has even more potential.

There's less room in our side for that medium forward type so Johnson may not get a chance to flower like Henry has. If he does we'll have a couple of beauties to compare.
Team boards are for those clubs, visitors show respect, end of.

If you want to see me take shots come to the Bay.

I read his initial comment and that's not how it came across to me, or seemingly a number of others based on the likes received

Opposition posters are always welcome to contribute on the board, on the basis of showing respect to the team, players and posters of the board they're posting on

It's fine to not agree with their post, but that doesn't mean they're a troll or that it's acceptable to be unnecessarily rude or confrontational with them purely based on them being an opposition fan

I read your initial post comparing the current career positions of Henry & Johnson - I saw no disrespect & gave it a like

It's bit of a weird time as Geelong supporters missing finals for the first time in a while, but opposition fans have always been welcome to contribute on the board as long as it's done in a respectful manner of the team, players & the locals - from the sound of the bolded you know the line not too cross, keep on the right side of it and you're fine to post

I read his initial comment and that's not how it came across to me, or seemingly a number of others based on the likes received

Opposition posters are always welcome to contribute on the board, on the basis of showing respect to the team, players and posters of the board they're posting on

It's fine to not agree with their post, but that doesn't mean they're a troll or that it's acceptable to be unnecessarily rude or confrontational with them purely based on them being an opposition fan
Really ? Fair enough I wonder how that would go on the collingwood board calling them a lower club and dismissing their player’s performance just because the team happen to miss the finals

But all good I guess you’re going to delte this comment just to appease the poster

Oh really

I don’t know about you but I’m sure your board wouldn’t be too thrill if I went over there and dismiss your players achievements based on the teams perfomance in that year

I read your initial post comparing the current career positions of Henry & Johnson - I saw no disrespect & gave it a like

It's bit of a weird time as Geelong supporters missing finals for the first time in a while, but opposition fans have always been welcome to contribute on the board as long as it's done in a respectful manner of the team, players & the locals - from the sound of the bolded you know the line not too cross, keep on the right side of it and you're fine to post
If you don’t want me posting in ducking won’t

Far more concern with this “respect” to the opposition posters with a sly dig at the club and Ollie’s performance and then dismissing any concerns on the back of us kissing finals as a reason for me taking a slight?

Yeah cool

I’m gone

Johnson pushed Henry out of the side last year, by being an even more outrageously talented kick. He's a freak, slower and skinnier than Henry but I'd say the smartest player at the club ahead of Pendles and the sneaky Ginnivan.

Aint no way you seriously think Henry has more bulk than Ash Johnson.

I know it wasn't a straight swap for Henry but how did Nathan 'Freddy' Kreuger end up going for the Pies this year? I know he had a shoulder reconstruction over the offseason last year but hadn't heard anything of him since.

Aint no way you seriously think Henry has more bulk than Ash Johnson.
100% Henry is slight but you can see where the muscles will grow eventually.

Johnson is built like a tree frog, big head, skinny fat body and toothpick limbs.

I know it wasn't a straight swap for Henry but how did Nathan 'Freddy' Kreuger end up going for the Pies this year? I know he had a shoulder reconstruction over the offseason last year but hadn't heard anything of him since.
We love the guy, psycho attack on the ball. In fact hes so keen to impress he keeps injuring himself.

Definitely a KPP prospect if we can get his body right. Was stuck behind Cameron and Hawkins for you I guess, less obstacles to a senior spot at the Pies so actually a bit of a parallel to Henry.

100% Henry is slight but you can see where the muscles will grow eventually.

Johnson is built like a tree frog, big head, skinny fat body and toothpick limbs.

We love the guy, psycho attack on the ball. In fact hes so keen to impress he keeps injuring himself.

Definitely a KPP prospect if we can get his body right. Was stuck behind Cameron and Hawkins for you I guess, less obstacles to a senior spot at the Pies so actually a bit of a parallel to Henry.
Krueger won't make it. Similar to a young Paddy McCartin in which he puts himself in harms way and will continue to get hurt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back