List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Mitch Hardie

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember going to Adelaide as a kid for the Australia day cricket game and they used to have vans everywhere with pie floaters. I lived there for 4 years as an adult and never saw a pie floater. I don't know if they are really a thing anymore.
I think the last van closed up shop 2005ish.

I think you can still get them at some 24hr bakeries.

I thought they were gross a when I first moved here but wasn't bad in a cold winter night when you're stumbling out of a pub drunk.

The key is it has to be a heavily spiced pea soup, almost like a Dahl.

Isn't South Australia the home of the 'pie floater'?

SAFlag_Floater.jpg
🤢

Sounds like the RD and the club know he has to improve a bit and hopeful of him doing that .... but how much can he improve in a couple of months. At 25 , one would think his body would be able to with stand a full preseason .. and if he has the attributes accredited to him... we could have a handy player next year ... if he is kept around. I hope what they are looking for is a look at him as person and his fit into the club rather than just performance. If he shows a desperation to "become" then they give him another 12 months

Sounds like the RD and the club know he has to improve a bit and hopeful of him doing that .... but how much can he improve in a couple of months. At 25 , one would think his body would be able to with stand a full preseason .. and if he has the attributes accredited to him... we could have a handy player next year ... if he is kept around. I hope what they are looking for is a look at him as person and his fit into the club rather than just performance. If he shows a desperation to "become" then they give him another 12 months

Improvement has been his biggest attribute at the Eagles.

Recruited from Canberra Demons in NEAFL where he had played well, he won Eagles Reserves B & F in his first year in 2021, only playing a few league games. It was the same year Stengle won a league premiership with the Eagles, so a hard side to get in to.

He persisted and in a poor season team wise for the Eagles in 2022, Hardie was showing some signs he was becoming one of the better players, surpassing lethargic looking ex-AFL players performance wise by the 2nd half of the season.

As per articles above - he had a massive pre-season and is probably leading the Magarey Medal count at this stage. Only had the one really poor game against Sturt, not through lack of trying, and otherwise has been excellent.

His determination to improve, his knack of kicking goals and his good athleticism should give him a chance to contribute at AFL level long term. His current form and fitness base gives Geelong a player they could use straight away if need be. Good luck to him.

We should fly him DIRECT from SA in Helicopter to land inside the Ground on game time. Brian Peake style.

Given the "slight" difference in player profiles between this bloke, and Brian Peake, I'd imagine the mode of entry should reflect that difference.

To that end, I'd advocate wheeling Mitch on to the ground just before kickoff in a slightly used Coles shopping trolley...

Improvement has been his biggest attribute at the Eagles.

Recruited from Canberra Demons in NEAFL where he had played well, he won Eagles Reserves B & F in his first year in 2021, only playing a few league games. It was the same year Stengle won a league premiership with the Eagles, so a hard side to get in to.

He persisted and in a poor season team wise for the Eagles in 2022, Hardie was showing some signs he was becoming one of the better players, surpassing lethargic looking ex-AFL players performance wise by the 2nd half of the season.

As per articles above - he had a massive pre-season and is probably leading the Magarey Medal count at this stage. Only had the one really poor game against Sturt, not through lack of trying, and otherwise has been excellent.

His determination to improve, his knack of kicking goals and his good athleticism should give him a chance to contribute at AFL level long term. His current form and fitness base gives Geelong a player they could use straight away if need be. Good luck to him.

How the club gauge him in such short period will be part of the challenge for him. I really hope him comes in and stands out immediately.

What sort of player would you say he is ... similar to anyone on our list?

Have you seen the interview with Mitch Hardie on the club website? This guy is very impressive with what must be his first major football interview. He is a good Geelong man. no wonder Wells was impressed by his character.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen the interview with Mitch Hardie on the club website? This guy is very impressive with what must be his first major football interview. He is a good Geelong man. no wonder Wells was impressed by his character.

Yes.... and he pass the first test.Comes across as honest real and grateful..says he was barracking for Swans till hours ago .... Just hope he gets fair whack. It might only take an injury and he might be gone. He needs to show something similar to Willis has...

How the club gauge him in such short period will be part of the challenge for him. I really hope him comes in and stands out immediately.

What sort of player would you say he is ... similar to anyone on our list?
Probably in the style of Parfitt or Cam Guthrie. At AFL level I would expect him to be more outside than inside.

If I was to compare him to Zane Williams who you borrowed from the Eagles last year, he is the opposite. Williams has the skills and clever step, but lacked the work rate, athleticism and fitness. Hardie has the work rate and fitness, but will need to polish up and probably add a bit of strength as well. All doable as a full time footballer.

Iv got no inside word or any info on him, but I think Mitch is going to be a good player for our club...
I think his got it to be a future player for us, especially his in the prime age category which we really lack

We are always hopeful when we draft someone...I suspect no one really knows what a player is like till he is in system. Id like to know what the club expects before they offer him an extention.. does he have to shine on the track ,be a good character fit or does he have star on ground.

Probably in the style of Parfitt or Cam Guthrie. At AFL level I would expect him to be more outside than inside.

If I was to compare him to Zane Williams who you borrowed from the Eagles last year, he is the opposite. Williams has the skills and clever step, but lacked the work rate, athleticism and fitness. Hardie has the work rate and fitness, but will need to polish up and probably add a bit of strength as well. All doable as a full time footballer.

Looking at the clip above ...it would not surprise me that he may need to come to terms with a faster pace in afl... but id think he should do well enough at VFL level to press for selection.

The comments on ZW about work rate, athleticism and fitness is interesting.Traditionally we place a high mark on such things before someone is drafted. Its not unusual to see us draft someone in the top ten in running at the combine. Somehis size..that could cover ground or show the required fitness... im surprised he was here at all.

Probably what I got out of seeing those latest highlights.

Looks like a good honest footballer for the lower level... Not getting my hopes up he will do much in the AFL but my fingers are at least crossed.

He looks very fit and found lots of space + tackles hard which is a good sign... On the negative, he muffed a bunch of unpressured kicks and turned it over a bit.

As you say... Needs to "polish up" and will get the opportunity in our system to make it if he is good enough.

Good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back