List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

The bolded sections were irrelevant nonsense, the very fight starting you are accusing others of.

Sentence 3 was your actual football point and you're entitled to make it, while others are entitled to reply with disagreement without a tantrum ensuing.

Take it with grace instead of jumping at shadows, perhaps. We are in the discussion business.

For my football point -"IT IS MY OPINION AND I BELIEVE I AM ALLOWED IT": O.Henry has already proven an astute acquisition. 40 goal a season non-KPFs do not grow on trees and he's only just begun.
This.

Even if Ollie completely stagnated for the rest of his career he'd still likely end up with 400+ goals for Geelong. If that's the worst case scenario then we've got a hell of a player on our hands.

The sky is the limit for this guy, and he's only going to get better.

As an aside, let's try not to give the negativity too much energy. Last year taught us a lot if we look at what happened.

We won a flag in dominant fashion, set ourselves up for a decade in trade week, picked the player most posters wanted at the draft.....and people STILL weren't happy.

What more can you do? It's only downhill from there.

Dont get so upset - its a football forum - people are allowed to give their views without fear or favour - and you do not own the forum

Sure - you cant question a players courage - but you can give your view on what you think a players talent level is and will get to

And if Port Ade said we will swap Olivers - you can have Lord - and we will take Henry - I would do that in a heart beat

Now that is just my opinion which im entitled to on this forum - without tough guy Grandstanders jumping down my throat
you clearly stated you post reality..... which you dress up as your opinion.

Have your opinion all you want but dont call it something it isnt. Your opinion is not necessarily reality... its your opinion.

You opined that Henry in 2024 will define his career. Thats not reality. Thats your opinion.

I then showed examples of how your opinion, in the light of reality, was not one that had worked on other players.

And you are correct... I dont own the forum lmao... like id even want to.

Oh.. and im not upset.... laughing perhaps... but not upset.

GO Catters

But i disagree with your assessment - re his marking is so good - re his o/head marking he dropped so many of them - he could even have 2-3 bites at it - but he just couldnt quite hang onto them - and sometimes they were at a vital stage - and by not holding them he put Geel under pressure - Gary Rohan is a strong reliable one grab o/head - O Henry isnt at this stage - no way
No he's not, that's just crap

No he's not, that's just crap

If Gary was, he'd likely have kicked another 100 -> 200 goals from the set shot opportunities that those missed/now taken marks would have presented

Dont get so upset - its a football forum - people are allowed to give their views without fear or favour - and you do not own the forum

Sure - you cant question a players courage - but you can give your view on what you think a players talent level is and will get to

And if Port Ade said we will swap Olivers - you can have Lord - and we will take Henry - I would do that in a heart beat

Now that is just my opinion which im entitled to on this forum - without tough guy Grandstanders jumping down my throat

That's cool, you're allowed to have your opinion - doesn't mean I or anyone else on this forum can't say that it's an idiotic opinion with no basis in reality.

Ain't free speech grand? :)

That's a very extreme view. What has Lord done to suggest he will ever be capable of kicking 40 goals in a single season of AFL?

Lord has got - point to point speed - acceleration - gears - a turn of foot - that is invalauble for a footballer - not many players have got that

Plus he was highly impressive in that 4 goal performance in a high pressure final - using some of the attributes i outlined in my opening sentence

Lord has got - point to point speed - acceleration - gears - a turn of foot - that is invalauble for a footballer - not many players have got that

Plus he was highly impressive in that 4 goal performance in a high pressure final - using some of the attributes i outlined in my opening sentence
Problem with Lord is outside of his 4 goal game he has been below average at every level he has played U18, SANFL and AFL. Has attributes but still a long shot imo likely to be a poor man's Weidman

Ollie Henry was the most exciting aspect of our team this year.
Most improved.
Best first year player.
A player we could look forward to watching, the marks, the goals, the poise, the confidence.
He has X factor.
Stengle- 21 goals
Close- 26 goals.
Ollie 41 goals. Why do we need season 24 to get an idea about Ollie Henry. 2023 says it all.
If he is less productive next year, so be it.
He will shine for us for many years, and we are lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Final post on it - i post reality

About 4-5 posts above mine - " could even bob up in the midfield - very similiar 1st 40 games to Rozee and Fyffe " - thats incredible stuff
For one, pessimistic thinking doesn't equate to reality. It's just as dangerous as optimistic thinking being regarded as fact.

Two, maybe read what I said? Watch Fyfe, and particularly Rozee's first 40 games. The majority of them came as third talls/flankers.

I'm not even the first to make the comparison. I pinched it from Josh Jenkins, who during the pre-season mentioned that watching Ollie Henry at training reminded him a lot of Rozee at the same age.

I know you don't like stats, and prefer to rely on some dumbfounded 'eye-test' which is based in 'reality'....but bare with me...

Connor Rozee's first 40 games:

Disposals a game: 13

Goals: 38

Ollie Henry's first 40 games:

Disposals a game: 9

Goals: 57

Ollie also started a number of his games both at Collingwood and Geelong as the sub, which will influence his numbers.

All I said is that IF the coaches choose to develop him as a midfielder, then there is precedent with player's of a similar ilk throughout their first 40 games.

Didn't say it was a guarantee, didn't say it would even happen, I just said it's a possibility.

But please, keep blessing us with your football wisdom which is based on nothing more than what you supposedly see with your eyes.

And believe me, you don't want to see the Ollie Lord comparison. It's only going to get worse.

Lastly, this might rejog your memory. I can't make this any more clear, he started as a forward just like Henry.

Last edited:

I normally love your posts and mostly agree, but not regarding O Henry. OH remains physically resilient, I think we will have a player with SJ- like impact.
And, with respect, no way to swapping with OL.

Ollie Henry was the most exciting aspect of our team this year.
Most improved.
Best first year player.
A player we could look forward to watching, the marks, the goals, the poise, the confidence.
He has X factor.
Stengle- 21 goals
Close- 26 goals.
Ollie 41 goals. Why do we need season 24 to get an idea about Ollie Henry. 2023 says it all.
If he is less productive next year, so be it.
He will shine for us for many years, and we are lucky to have him.

He seems to go for a lot of big marks ..and completes less than 25% of them. If he could find a way to hold on to them ..he could become a star.

He seems to go for a lot of big marks ..and completes less than 25% of them. If he could find a way to hold on to them ..he could become a star.
At the end of the season, OH is rated above average in marking, and in goal kicking. That is very good already. Going for lots of marks as a medium forward should be appreciated. We know he is capable of clunking them, it may just be a matter of more time and more accepting that he belongs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the season, OH is rated above average in marking, and in goal kicking. That is very good already. Going for lots of marks as a medium forward should be appreciated. We know he is capable of clunking them, it may just be a matter of more time and more accepting that he belongs.

When watching him fly for them ...Malcom Blights advice to GA5 resonates. He does put himself out of the contest a lot when missing the mark.. and at times I grimace at him landing wrongly at the potential of hurting himself.

When watching him fly for them ...Malcom Blights advice to GA5 resonates. He does put himself out of the contest a lot when missing the mark.. and at times I grimace at him landing wrongly at the potential of hurting himself.
Fair enough.
Would hate it if he dislocated a shoulder, or a severe injury of any sort by a poor fall, but it seems innate for him to fly for those marks.
He was renowned for it at U18 level, at Pies, and now with us.

He is prone to doing unusual leg movements when in the air- maybe he does it as a result of propelling himself so high but it scares me as it could adversely effect his landing.
Seemed to do it a little less late in the season so hope that improves going forward.
He’s a special talent and still very young so there’s plenty to get excited about with OH👌🏽

I always thought he could be developed as a James Hird-esque player when at the Pies (style not necessarily level, though who knows his ceiling is super high).

A gripe I always did have though was a lack of intensity in his ground game and defensive efforts, and was wondering if that’s still a thing? or if he’s rectified that? 40 goals is v impressive btw.

Also, screw you guys for stealing one of our most talented youngsters / hope we can lure Holmes or Clarke to even the score ;)

He is a gun so happy we have him and very suprised he wasnt top 10 best and fairest, we have some very honest good players but he has genuine x factor. The next 2 years he could be a 15-20 possesion 2 goal player which is very rare.

All I said is that IF the coaches choose to develop him as a midfielder, then there is precedent with player's of a similar ilk throughout their first 40 games.

This is a crazy take. Yes, Rozee and Henry both played forward in the early stages of their careers. How does that equal precedent for Henry being developed as a midfielder? Rozee played his entire junior career as a midfielder, including at SANFL league level. Henry has always been a forward.

Those future picks given up for him lol a great call. Both cause he's a good play we but also cause those future picks are virtually worthless with all the compo picks and academy players floating around.

Said it at the time, but, we essentially in the end gave up Pick 26 (35+ this year) and 38 for him. Stephens won't make it, and Picks 48, 63 and 60+ (this year), were nothing.

Kept our F1 which as it turned out, ended up as Pick 7, as well. Made out like absolute bandits on this one.

I always thought he could be developed as a James Hird-esque player when at the Pies (style not necessarily level, though who knows his ceiling is super high).

A gripe I always did have though was a lack of intensity in his ground game and defensive efforts, and was wondering if that’s still a thing? or if he’s rectified that? 40 goals is v impressive btw.

Also, screw you guys for stealing one of our most talented youngsters / hope we can lure Holmes or Clarke to even the score ;)
Think it's fair to say it's a win/win trade. We got Henry, you got a key piece of your midfield during your flag window and Hawks got a list clogger plus change :)

This.

Even if Ollie completely stagnated for the rest of his career he'd still likely end up with 400+ goals for Geelong. If that's the worst case scenario then we've got a hell of a player on our hands.

The sky is the limit for this guy, and he's only going to get better.

A lot has to happen yet for him to kick over 400 goals. For a medium forward in the modern game that isn't such an easy thing.

Promising for sure, but at 40 goals a season that's another 9 years of the same output. Wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back