Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

How many players are between Melksham and Kav in the pecking order?

Do you think he comes in for Melk or is he just bumped up one place?
I think with 7 players leaving the list already, they can really only afford to make 3 more delistings at most and if they do get rid of an inside mid Hams will be the one to go ahead of him.

You're right, Melksham has sucked in the VFL! He's only managed 4 games in the last 4 years.
And he's been s**t in the AFL too!

With Melksham being traded out, might just get one last shot at it.

You could be right.

I think Hams will definitely be de-listed, but strongly believe only one of Pears/Steinberg will go, and I think Kav would be next in line.

So depending on how many we cut -

Chapman (ret)
Winderlich (ret)
Fletch (ret)
Dalgleish
Aylett
Melksham (trade)

Six confirmed gone.

Hams
Pears/Steinberg - would make eight. I also have a gut feeling Dempsey's gone, even though there' talk he got offered another year.

I think you're right, Kav could be safe.

You could be right.

I think Hams will definitely be de-listed, but strongly believe only one of Pears/Steinberg will go, and I think Kav would be next in line.

So depending on how many we cut -

Chapman (ret)
Winderlich (ret)
Fletch (ret)
Dalgleish
Aylett
Melksham (trade)

Six confirmed gone.

Hams
Pears/Steinberg - would make eight. I also have a gut feeling Dempsey's gone, even though there' talk he got offered another year.

I think you're right, Kav could be safe.
Carlisle gone too. 7 confirmed gone. Hams makes 8 and I believe Steinberg will be gone too.

Surely you can see the flaw in the self fulfilling logic.

We could have gifted Kav 50 games in the last 3 years.

Oh I admit I was pulling a straw man.

I just don't think Kavanagh is good enough for AFL. Yes you could have gifted him 50 games but he wouldn't have been half as effective as Melksham.

I'm not even sure how this is an argument. Kavanagh shopped himself around last year and nobody was interested. He was given 5 senior games? Or 6? this year, 1 as sub and was terrible (his Geelong game was a pass mark though)

I know we all wish he could turn it around and be a good player but it's just not going to happen.

Oh I admit I was pulling a straw man.

I just don't think Kavanagh is good enough for AFL. Yes you could have gifted him 50 games but he wouldn't have been half as effective as Melksham.

I'm not even sure how this is an argument. Kavanagh shopped himself around last year and nobody was interested. He was given 5 senior games? Or 6? this year, 1 as sub and was terrible (his Geelong game was a pass mark though)

I know we all wish he could turn it around and be a good player but it's just not going to happen.

How do you get half as bad at turnovers, playing dumb footy, ball watching ?
Melksham and effective should not be used in the same line.

We need to just let go here people.
Weak clubs are afraid to make the hard call and cut them lose for all the reasons being mentioned above i.e. opportunity etc.
If he was going to make it, he would have by now.
Time to try something else.

We need to just let go here people.
Weak clubs are afraid to make the hard call and cut them lose for all the reasons being mentioned above i.e. opportunity etc.
If he was going to make it, he would have by now.
Time to try something else.

How many premiership stars has Geelong retired in the last few years to regenerate its list?

How many has beens have we held onto and recruited in the last few years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a massive Kav fan, but I hope the club gives him a good run at it in 2016, if he can't stay ahead of Laverde, Langford, McKenna ect he will be gone.

Would rather give Kav a chance then have Melksham running around out there.

I'd get rid of him. Glimpses are the starting point. Solid back-to-back performances are what someone at his stage should be producing at least.
I've barely since the "glimpses" yet, at AFL level at least.

There's a chance he makes the cut simply because we have so many that can go. But the reality is he would probably be filling one of the last list spots, barely play again next year, and then simply be delisted next year - not achieving much.
If we keep him and he has a decent preseason, give him the first 6 games next year.

Whilst I would have thought there's every chance Stein goes, I can't fathom how anyone could put his name forward before Pears.
Pears is better at both levels and has a (somewhat limited) ability to play forward.

Pears is better at both levels and has a (somewhat limited) ability to play forward.
So much better that he's given a game at AFL level only if there is no other option...
All of 2 games in 2 years at 24/25 when he should be hitting his prime.

No way. Both are ordinary but Steinburg has proven much better at VFL level and matched anything Pears has done at AFL level this year.

Wouldn't mind 1 more year from Kav with a new coach. ( iv got a terrible supporters soft spot for him )

Wouldn't mind 1 more year from Kav with a new coach. ( iv got a terrible supporters soft spot for him )

If the coach is going to give him a fair crack of the whip then yeah, but if he's still going to get the whole 'you're blacklisted unless we have to treatment' then I don't really see thr point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back