Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite.
If I understand it correctly the academy/Father-Son club has two benefits:
  1. They have the right - but not obligation - to contract the player;
  2. They can do so at the assessed market value (per other clubs' bids) less a specific discount (10-20% IIRC)
So whilst the benefit is watered down in my mind it's still a pretty blood good deal for the clubs.

Imagine if you could go to an auction for the best house on your street and you were guaranteed to be able to buy the place if you chose and at a 20% discount...
Clubs could still end up paying through the nose. Take Sydney as a hypothetical, if they had pick 15 which for argument sake is worth 1500 points, and the player they want is worth 1600 points, they would then have to use their second round pick as well. Hence, it will be a fairer system and paying much closer to the actual worth.

WCE have picks 17 and 36 and want Jetta and redden

How can they possibly get both of these deals done?!

Redden in the frame for us if we want him

But maybe we have preferred options which makes it even more exciting

No stress folks , things will happen for AFC by design or just good luck

Lycett has been linked to Lions so maybe they're thinking a straight swap for redden? I'm very much in the WANT redden camp though also.

Look for guys that have 40-50 games, are under 23, and stand about 189cms. Look for some pace and foot skills and it covers most targets we have been linked to; Hampton, Seedsman, Mayes, Menzel, Mayes

My point is, instead of trading for a star would it be likely we will look to draft and build a star?

Perhaps trade up our first into the top 5

I remember PW talking about drafting and success with building your own players, if I am correct

Lycett has been linked to Lions so maybe they're thinking a straight swap for redden? I'm very much in the WANT redden camp though also.
Can't see them letting lycett go....port had him nailed last year before cox went out and then he signs 4 yr deal as a 22 yr old

Think Sinclair is the one they would let go first being 27 next season and not as good as lycett will be at that age

My point is, instead of trading for a star would it be likely we will look to draft and build a star?

I remember PW talking about drafting and success with building your own players, if I am correct
Think we need to do both with pick 9 and 13 , one for immediate and one for 2-3 yrs time

2012 - Atkins (D), Hartigan (R)
2013 - Betts (FA), Pods (T), Crouch (D), Knight (D), Cameron (R), Kelly (R)
2014 - Cheney (T), Lowden (T), Lever (D), Wigg (D), McGovern (D), ROB (R), Ramsey (R)

With 2012 / 2013 draft sanctions that is a great effort. Only 3 trades and 1 FA, so yeah - I agree that if we don't do something this year, and bring in some ready made top 25 players, we will stagnate and stop our improvement.

We have a lot of talent on our list right now ...

Taylor Walker, Brad Crouch, Rory Sloane, Eddie Betts, Daniel Talia, Brodie Smith, Rory Laird, Charlie Cameron, Sam Jacobs, Scott Thompson, Richard Douglas, Tom Lynch

Plus some real potential in thenext level down ...
Josh Jenkins, Jake Kelly, Riley Knight, Luke Brown, Reilly O'Brien, Kyle Hartigan, Matthew Jaensch, Rory Atkins*, Matt Crouch*, Mitchell Grigg*
*un-signed

I think we have had a plan in place from last year to build for 2016 / 2017 and I expect to see something prove that to me this trade period.

Hey, factor this in, if the AFL hadn't been handing out priority picks willy nilly in 2004, we would have picked from who ever was left from Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling or Franklin at pick 5. And for those who say we would have been stuck with Tambles Lewis went at pick 7.

How that would of changed the current landscape

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sorry didn't read your post correctly, edited and suggested Burton on pure talent and availability at 9, and the success of lever after injury rehab.

Yeah sorry didn't read your post correctly, edited and suggested Burton on pure talent and availability at 9, and the success of lever after injury rehab.

Two biggest problems to the theory on building from the draft is the time it takes to develop them and AFCs apparent problem of retaining them when they are a top 5 player in the league, aka Danger. The development time factors in with your other players peak performance years. The 3rd factor is lack of top ten draft picks, f/s, academy and priority picks to really nail the absolute cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back