Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty happy about this. Ruck depth was an obvious weakness from the moment Ryder left, which was compounded with Giles being a failed experiment. This bloke is quality and his last couple of years have been, by his standards, largely injury free so hopefully he's turned a corner.

Welcome aboard to the big fella, here's hoping he helps the Bombers rapid ascent up the ladder.

It's the strange thing about ruckmen when free agency is involved, they are basically signed for the 100 games they'll play in their prime whereas usually the movement is of players who are over the hill.

The reality is that this kid was a prodigy as a young ruckman and every bit the young Dean Cox he was being billed as around draft time in 2006. I remember some seriously good performances against the best in the game (particularly one against Cox in rain at the Gabba I think it was) in his first few years and still a bean pole.

For some stupid reason I can't help but think of Paul Salmon's time at Hawthorn. He was battered by the time he left us and went on to play some seriously good footy. Hopefully this can be the same. He could continue to struggle with injury and form our could become one of the best ruckmen in the game and neither would surprise me (though I'd expect him to be more a solid role player).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His 2011 season was top quality and I thought was genuinely going to be the best ruck in the competiton. I still think he is a decent player but needs to be the lone ruckman to really have an influence.

I've intentionally got no expectations of him hitting the field. If my expectations are wrong and he plays more than half the season... I'll be stoked because his ceiling is as high as any player in the league. Loves a challenge.

There is the tantalizing possibility that he could make a perfect match with mckernan. Between the two of them they could bring the stoppage heat that tbc failed at so dismally. The Berger service to heppell and Watson for the damaging left jab, with smack, hocking and Myers for the shattering right hook!
Just praying to Santa (my sons methodology) that mckernan is a chf!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back