Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The central case is that Buckley will have his contract extended before the 2016 season starts.
More likely by 2 years than 3 years.

This extension alone will significantly decrease the probability that Buckley will lose his role in
2016, irrespective of results.

For Collingwood supporters in this thread who want Buckley gone, it looks like being a long wait.

(I strongly want him to stay but to refine the game plan)

It's posted earlier in this thread.

Cheers.

This thread tends to make my soul bleed, so I was skimming through trying to find the article, but it looks like I started a page late. Should have known TradeDraft would have delivered the goods.

I always find the "Buckley must make finals in 2016" argument a bit short-sighted. Question time: What's the difference between Malthouse being a master-coach that left Buckley a 'premiership' list versus a coach that could only a get a 20-2 team to the top echleon once? Answer: 3 points. If Ball doesn't kick that goal then the perception of Malthouse changes (and no doubt Buckley would have more leeway). This is why I dislike the "finals or fire" line of thinking as it's too simplistic. The key for me is improvement, does the 2016 Collingwood look like a better team than the 2015 Collingwood? I fully expect us to be in that group of team fighting for a spot in the 8 and am far from assured that we'll get there (from a quick glance there's about a 50-50 split on the main board as to whether we'll play finals or not next year. Seems about right). Subjective analysis seems to be a better guide for me than objective analysis. Case in point above -> the evaluation of Malthouse on the back of one kick. There are some things outside of the coach's control, "finals or fire" might not take that into account.

I'm starting to warm to extending his contract before the season starts. Takes pressure off everyone to just go out there and do their thing.

The fact that whilst I still see holes in a few of his coaching strategies, we have players who want to work with him, play for him and want to join our club. Everyone is speaking glowingly of him.

This shows the place is in a good head space at the moment and the environment is blossoming.

I always find the "Buckley must make finals in 2016" argument a bit short-sighted. Question time: What's the difference between Malthouse being a master-coach that left Buckley a 'premiership' list versus a coach that could only a get a 20-2 team to the top echleon once? Answer: 3 points. If Ball doesn't kick that goal then the perception of Malthouse changes (and no doubt Buckley would have more leeway). This is why I dislike the "finals or fire" line of thinking as it's too simplistic. The key for me is improvement, does the 2016 Collingwood look like a better team than the 2015 Collingwood? I fully expect us to be in that group of team fighting for a spot in the 8 and am far from assured that we'll get there (from a quick glance there's about a 50-50 split on the main board as to whether we'll play finals or not next year. Seems about right). Subjective analysis seems to be a better guide for me than objective analysis. Case in point above -> the evaluation of Malthouse on the back of one kick. There are some things outside of the coach's control, "finals or fire" might not take that into account.
Continuing your theme, Milne's bounce and no replay

gee markfs a very well balanced post nice to see
nah, love markfs's posts but this is not up to scratch. Undermines markfs's body of work. I'd much rather the irony.

dont fight over me fellas.... there's room in the closet for the three of us...whatever your reasons, its enough for me to be loved

The silly pointless Buckley coaching megathread actually makes zero difference to the real decision makers.

Like anyone on the Board, really even begins to give a cracker what anyone on big footy says, posts, thinks, etc.

We are just a bunch of people who for whatever reason like to post about football and particularly Collingwood.

Harmless fun, thats about it.

But we are totally irrelevant.

So who cares if there are naysayers or club sycophants, either way or in between, it does not mean anything.

So if some one is objectionable, i dont fret because they are totally irrelevant, oh, just like me.

very nice presentation by bucks at the fan forum.... so we know now that every player is going to try really really hard. It's a good move by bucks and i think it might prove to be the difference in getting us to the finals...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also i don't buy the inexperience excuse.

We have enough veteran players at all positions to help teach the younger players what a winning culture is.

Especially since the 2010 premiership wasn't that long ago and we still have 10 players from that team still at the club.

This

I do believe there are other reason's why we've fell down the ladder, inexperience isn't one of them however IMO.
Yes agree.
Will be nice when we return to the top again (whenever that may be)

Sooty to disagree but how can you ignore inexperience.

Brown, Pendlebury, Cloke, Sidebottom, Swan, Greenwood, Varcoe.

We've got a good enough core of experienced players and our young players are pulling their weight. I put it more to injury and the over exhausting nature of our game plan.

Brown, Pendlebury, Cloke, Sidebottom, Swan, Greenwood, Varcoe.

We've got a good enough core of experienced players and our young players are pulling their weight. I put it more to injury and the over exhausting nature of our game plan.
Yep maybe a myriad of reasons fair call

We have shed 2-3 experienced premiership players each season and yet still gone down the ladder on each occasion.

Experience surely is only but a small factor.

Only after 2012 took place was it evident that a mini-rebuild was necessary to have another tilt at the flag.

2013/2014 were really "nothing" years on field to be honest. They were more about list management.

2015 was the first year where we have had 80% of the list gaining experience and that will be expected to challenge for flags from 2017 - 2021.

There should be incremental and tangible improvement in the on field performances from 2016 onwards because this list will be substantially the same list that we expect to bring us a flag.

We have shed 2-3 experienced premiership players each season and yet still gone down the ladder on each occasion.

Experience surely is only but a small factor.

Only after 2012 took place was it evident that a mini-rebuild was necessary to have another tilt at the flag.

2013/2014 were really "nothing" years on field to be honest. They were more about list management.

2015 was the first year where we have had 80% of the list gaining experience and that will be expected to challenge for flags from 2017 - 2021.

There should be incremental and tangible improvement in the on field performances from 2016 onwards because this list will be substantially the same list that we expect to bring us a flag.

Top 6 next year mate. Put your house on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back