Who is the darkhorse for the spoon in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is true. In 2016 Collingwood will win the spoon and in 2017 they will get even worse and finish 19th.
And by 2018, we may even get relegated to Essendon District division 2.

If I was to pick a dark horse for the 2016 wooden spoon I would select the Richmond Tigers.

Am I saying that the Tigers will win the wooden spoon? Am I going to tip Richmond for the wooden spoon? Will I bet money on a Tiger wooden spoon in 2016? No on each count.

However, Richmond are the most enigmatic team in the competition. They are like the girl with the curl from the nursery rhyme; when they are good they are very good, when they are bad they are terrible. Their biggest problem is a finals hoodoo they have developed, ejected from the finals in three humiliating elimination finals in 2013, 2014 & 2015.

In 2013, 9th placed Carlton (elevated to the finals thanks to Essendon's disqualification) came from more than 5 goals behind to defeat Richmond by 20-points. To make things even worse for the Tigers, the Blues had overcome a deficit of more than 7 goals to defeat them late in the season, so Richmond obviously learned little from this and the adage 'shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice' aptly described the Tiger humiliation. Then in 2014, Richmond scraped into 8th spot and were given an absolute thrashing by Port Adelaide in a game that looked more like one of the one-sided 1st vs. 8th McIntyre finals. Watching that game, it probably would have been better if Richmond had missed the finals and the Eagles or Crows had taken 8th position. Then in 2015, with Richmond (5th) holding a 21-point lead over North Melbourne (8th), the Tigers had no answer when the Kangaroos turned the game onto their own terms and ran at Richmond, overtaking them and eliminating them from the 2015 season.

All of this must have an effect on the team, especially given Richmond has not won a final since 2001. The Tigers are not a young team, and the majority of players have been together some time. If they were to do something big, it should have happened by now, but it hasn't. Given that Richmond often seem to lack a Plan B when an opposition plays the game on its own terms and has developed a habit of dropping games unexpectedly to lower-ranked opponents, if things go badly for Richmond early in 2016 and their season unravels, yeah a Tiger wooden spoon wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Pretty much this. Up and about for a few years, due for their typical let down year.

If not for Carlton, I'd be inclined to go with the Saints. Still several older players like Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Fisher, Gilbert in the best 22. Josh Bruce put up good stats last year but I have reservations about his ability to repeat them having seen a lot of him in the NEAFL previously. Who knows what they are getting with Carlisle, he sulked in a terrible team last season, not sure why that won't happen again in 2016, and he's not exactly off to a great start.

There is talent among their young brigade, and if Billings can get a good run at it he will bring much needed class to the side. But outside of him there isn't a heap of class in Steven/Armitage/Dunstan as their prime midfield movers. Probably time to pull the plug on the Membrey/Lee experiments also.

Still, I can only see them finishing 17th at worst, Carlton are just dreadful.

Jones, Viney, Vince, Brayshaw, Tyson, Melksham, Watts, Trengove, Matt Jones and Newton.
Then kids like, Harmes, Petracca, Salem(Here cause more a HBF rate him though) and Oliver.

Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Zach Merrett, Myers, Stanton, Zaharakis, Hocking, Colyer, Howlett and Bird.
Then kids like, Laverde, Langford, Parish and Fantasia.

To say our midfield is up there with the worst is fine but... People in glass houses.

This is true. In 2016 Collingwood will win the spoon and in 2017 they will get even worse and finish 19th.
Right, someone points out flaws in Collingwood's list and you respond with a whinge.

Jones, Viney, Vince, Brayshaw, Tyson, Melksham, Watts, Trengove, Matt Jones and Newton.
Then kids like, Harmes, Petracca, Salem(Here cause more a HBF rate him though) and Oliver.

Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Zach Merrett, Myers, Stanton, Zaharakis, Hocking, Colyer, Howlett and Bird.
Then kids like, Laverde, Langford, Parish and Fantasia.

To say our midfield is up there with the worst is fine but... People in glass houses.

Give me Melbourne every day of the week. Essendon's midfield is awful.

This thread isn't about Melbourne. Essendon have close to the worst midfield in the AFL.
Essendon's significantly weakened midfield (no Watson, Myers, Hocking at least) broke even with Melbourne's close to full strength one this season while Gawn had something like 40 more hitouts than his direct opponent. Imagine what will happen when all three come back and we have a good tap ruckman playing?

Essendon's significantly weakened midfield (no Watson, Myers, Hocking at least) broke even with Melbourne's close to full strength one this season while Gawn had something like 40 more hitouts than his direct opponent. Imagine what will happen when all three come back and we have a good tap ruckman playing?

I think you will be disappointed with Leuy, he is as durable as a Russian plane flying over Syria. The most amount of games he has played recently has been 13 games out of 22.

I don't know why Essendon supporters list Goddard as a midfielder. He cherry picks off half-back and is well past his peak, he is almost done as an AFL player. Stanton is also done and is one of the most ordinary players in the entire competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will be disappointed with Leuy, he is as durable as a Russian plane flying over Syria. The most amount of games he has played recently has been 13 games out of 22.

I don't know why Essendon supporters list Goddard as a midfielder. He cherry picks off half-back and is well past his peak, he is almost done as an AFL player. Stanton is also done and is one of the most ordinary players in the entire competition.
Stanton is done? Bloody hell, he was pretty much the only mid who did anything in the second half of the season. He would get games at most clubs (maybe not Hawthorn).

Yep, pretty much this.

As much as I thought their list overall was terrible, I thought their best 22 was at least good and mature enough for them to not win this year's spoon, so I was pretty shocked at how much they sucked, especially early on, when they didn't seem to have many injuries, so now that they've made 15 list changes and lost Judd, Henderson, Carazzo, Bell, Yarran and Menzel from that 22, it's hard to see them improving enough to not go B2B. Especially with so little scoring power.

I reckon you could make a pretty decent case for all the other teams that didn't make the finals improving in 2016, so Carlton may come last by a decent way and they'd better hope they don't have a bad injury run, or things could get really fugly.
If you think we had no injuries then you don't know jack s**t ...i mean seriously

Remove this Banner Ad

Back