Who is the darkhorse for the spoon in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon have one of the worst midfields in the league and their forward line is horrible. They are a bottom 4 lock. Their ruck division is also mediocre.

How many players had 41 shots on goal in the last 10 weeks of the home and away season in 2015?

Because our AA defender did in his first 10 games forward at the elite level playing with one of the most injury riddle midfields at the time.

Now people ask who could help Joe Daniher out? Cale Hooker could quite easily kick 50-60 next year in the forward line if he trained there all pre season and we had a functioning midfield.

Essendon have one of the worst midfields in the league and their forward line is horrible. They are a bottom 4 lock. Their ruck division is also mediocre.
You're living in the past.

Our forwardline is as good as Melbourne's. Both dysfunctional and relying on one man (should change with Brown or Hooker as swingmen and McKernan up forward).

Our midfield isn't that bad with the return of Hocking, Myers and Watson.

We have Luey and Bellchambers in the ruck, so it'll do the job.

Pretty much everything went wrong in 2015 and we still finished with 6 wins. Fair to say we'll do better.

How many players had 41 shots on goal in the last 10 weeks of the home and away season in 2015?

Because our AA defender did in his first 10 games forward at the elite level playing with one of the most injury riddle midfields at the time.

Now people ask who could help Joe Daniher out? Cale Hooker could quite easily kick 50-60 next year in the forward line if he trained there all pre season and we had a functioning midfield.
Though Hooker will do well up forward, him and Hurley would have to be the best, if not, one of the best defensive pairs in the league, so I'd rather keep him back and have Brown or McKernan up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given this thread is looking for a darkhorse, that excludes 'the usual suspects' (Lions, Blues, Saints, Demons, Suns) & the Bombers.

I don't know if Geelong has bottomed out. They are starting to look more like Freo every day. Solid without looking likely to rattle up a big score. Hawkins didn't have a great year despite his back healing. Selwood has been playing hurt for the last 2 seasons and this year it looked like catching up with him. A few of the older defenders are hanging in there.

Also a lot of teams they used to 'own' are not scared of them anymore. Melbourne won at Simonds. North 'own' them. They are now Hawthorn's biatch. Saints got a draw off them when it used to be an annual 100+ win.

I know the odds are at probably at 200-1 of a Cats wooden spoon but look what happened at the Melbourne Cup.

Though Hooker will do well up forward, him and Hurley would have to be the best, if not, one of the best defensive pairs in the league, so I'd rather keep him back and have Brown or McKernan up forward.

Brown/Hartley are good enough to release Hooker forward, They won't win us games if they play forward whereas Hooker will, If our mids are healthy all year it will make our defenders jobs so much easier.

We desperately need goals and to help Joey out, Hooker does this better than anyone on our list.

Joey/Hooker/Smack as our big forwards
Hurley/Brown/Hartley as our big defenders.

FWIW I want Hooker forward but I think Woosha will play him back.

Given this thread is looking for a darkhorse, that excludes 'the usual suspects' (Lions, Blues, Saints, Demons, Suns) & the Bombers.

I don't know if Geelong has bottomed out. They are starting to look more like Freo every day. Solid without looking likely to rattle up a big score. Hawkins didn't have a great year despite his back healing. Selwood has been playing hurt for the last 2 seasons and this year it looked like catching up with him. A few of the older defenders are hanging in there.

Also a lot of teams they used to 'own' are not scared of them anymore. Melbourne won at Simonds. North 'own' them. They are now Hawthorn's biatch. Saints got a draw off them when it used to be an annual 100+ win.

I know the odds are at probably at 200-1 of a Cats wooden spoon but look what happened at the Melbourne Cup.
Geelong just don't bottom out and I can't see how they will.

My nomination (not for the wooden spoon), but to slide a bit is Collingwood.

They've strengthened their midfield, but one can argue that it didn't address their needs. Oh and the second half implosion was telling.

Geelong just don't bottom out and I can't see how they will.

My nomination (not for the wooden spoon), but to slide a bit is Collingwood.

They've strengthened their midfield, but one can argue that it didn't address their needs.

Yeah. I was tempted to go with them. The second half of season fade outs. Swan fading. Pendlebury living in defence. Cloke the Choke in front of goal. I have question marks on their goal kicking ability. Before the trade period, I had them sliding into the 'basement 6' next year.

All the best for 2016 with Woosha.

Woosha has said a number of times that Hooker will play back. Brown will play forward.
And I completely agree. I'd rather a serviceable forwardline and a great backline than a serviceable forwardline and a serviceable backline.

Dark horse is Collingwood
but the battle of the spoon will be between Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Essendon
my tip is Essendon winning it by percentage

I'd rather a great forward line and a serviceable backline though, Joey and Hooker can really be great.

Like I said I don't think it will happen, But I'm sick of being safe it gets us nowhere, Make big changes try new things you just never know what may work.
We tried that, but floodgates opened. I like Hooker as a forward and wouldn't be against that, but he is ultimately a defender and an AA one too. Hardly conceded over 100 points with him down back.

Next year will be a trial year to see what works so I think we may see him do stints up forward.

I would be surprised if either of these statements, taken in isolation, are remotely true.
Collingwood have gotten worse every year under Buckley. Essendon had a horror run this year with everything that could possibly go wrong doing so. Collingood's defence is still unreliable and have poor skills for the most part, their midfield is very strong and their forward line rivals Essendon's and Melbourne's among the worst in the league if Cloke continues to not deliver.

Collingwood have gotten worse every year under Buckley. Essendon had a horror run this year with everything that could possibly go wrong doing so. Collingood's defence is still unreliable and have poor skills for the most part, their midfield is very strong and their forward line rivals Essendon's and Melbourne's among the worst in the league if Cloke continues to not deliver.

This is true. In 2016 Collingwood will win the spoon and in 2017 they will get even worse and finish 19th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back