Opinion 2016 Best 22 - Best Twenty Two for Twenty Sixteen with our new Two + Two + Four

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Ah Chee be used forward? Ive been watching some of his work for my DT and geez he offers a point of difference to the team IMO

He can take a mark and is a pretty good kick for goal so i guess he could take that half forward pushing into midfield role when the starting mids need rests eg wingard and the old robbie gray roles.

Suprised no one has mentioned #samgrayforwardpocket ;)

Woke up realising we have just lost nearly 450 games experience from our best 22 for the whole year :cry::cry::cry::mad:

As harsh as it sounds, we have to move on quickly.

I prefer to look at it this way. From last year's best 22, we've lost Ryder and Monfries. But we've gained Dixon who is the gorilla forward we have been crying out for. We've gained Toumpas who has enough raw potential that he was pick 4 only a handful of years ago. We can hope to get a full season rather than half a season out of Wines. We can hope to get anything at all out of Polec. Ah Chee and S.Gray showed enormous promise in the back end of last season and we can hope that translates into this season. Sure, we've lost a bit, but there is so much potential in our list that we should still feature prominently at the business end of the season if we get things rolling.

I prefer to look at it this way. From last year's best 22, we've lost Ryder and Monfries. But we've gained Dixon who is the gorilla forward we have been crying out for. We've gained Toumpas who has enough raw potential that he was pick 4 only a handful of years ago. We can hope to get a full season rather than half a season out of Wines. We can hope to get anything at all out of Polec. Ah Chee and S.Gray showed enormous promise in the back end of last season and we can hope that translates into this season. Sure, we've lost a bit, but there is so much potential in our list that we should still feature prominently at the business end of the season if we get things rolling.
Spot on. I'd rather have Gus and Paddy available, but it's not the end of the world. We still have a helluva lot of weapons we can hurt the opposition with, and I'm still damn excited about the year ahead. One thing this mess has undoubtedly done is to wipe away every last ounce of complacency - our boys will be ferocious from the first bounce until the final siren!!!

He was tried as a forward early on in the sanfl but he was terrible, it really wasn't until he started tagging it clicked. He's come a long way since and he may be capable. However, to me, he's a mid that needs to be in the middle to find space in front of goals if you know what I mean. Leading and space creation not his strong point. I agree though, he provides X factor every team needs. He's a lock in my 22 given standard form.
Maybe you should re-watch his leading & space creation with his hard 50m run and mark from Wingard and then went on to goal in that last Hawthorn game ...
In the GWS game he gave a handball in defending 50 then 20 seconds later was kicking a goal in attacking 50.......

Last edited:
Maybe you should re-watch his leading & space creation with his hard 50m run and mark from Wingard and then went on to goal in that last Hawthorn game ...
In the GWS game he gave a handball in defending 50 then 20 seconds later was kicking a goal in attacking 50.......

Both midfield goals. Being a goal kicker and being a forward are two different things. I'm a big butcher fan but he's the same, he's not a natural forward he gets lost and in people's way and struggles to find the ball more than 12 times but he's learning. Ah Chee is not a natural forward and putting him on a HFF for extended periods will only lessen his impact.

Well, when you put it that way:D

He was tried as a forward early on in the sanfl but he was terrible, it really wasn't until he started tagging it clicked. He's come a long way since and he may be capable. However, to me, he's a mid that needs to be in the middle to find space in front of goals if you know what I mean. Leading and space creation not his strong point. I agree though, he provides X factor every team needs. He's a lock in my 22 given standard form.

Both midfield goals. Being a goal kicker and being a forward are two different things. I'm a big butcher fan but he's the same, he's not a natural forward he gets lost and in people's way and struggles to find the ball more than 12 times but he's learning. Ah Chee is not a natural forward and putting him on a HFF for extended periods will only lessen his impact.

I dont think he is as bad as you think.

Been keeping an eye on his forward play and his ability to create space for a teammate to lead into or to help create separation between his teammate and defenders (blocking/scragging/general nuisance against defender) is okay, even good/clever at the times. But most of that has been at SANFL level so far.

AFL level he is still very much learning patterns, teammates idiosyncrasies and just keeping up with the pace of the AFL game.

I can see him being a very good defensive fwd/mid as he learns the whole AFL caper.

You are 100% spot on with his leading, needs much work and Butch especially. They probably suffer a fair bit from being the number 5 or 6 option when our mids look for our forwards and I'm sure that they just lose all confidence in their 'leading patterns' (esp Butch).

F: Westhoff - Schulz - Wingard
HF: R.Gray - Dixon - White
C: Polec - Boak (C) - Ebert
HB: Hartlett - Hombsch - Pittard
B: Trengove - Carlile - Impey
R: Lobbe - Wines - S.Gray
INT: Jonas/Krakour - Butcher/Krakour - Ah Chee - Neade/Krakour
EMERG: O'Shea - Clurey - Colquhoun

Players that will play come round 1 - barring injury
Boak
Broadbent
Ebert
Hartlett
Gray
Trengove
Wines
Toumpas
White
Wingard
Dixon
Lobbe
Carlile
Schulz
Pittard
Hombsch
Westhoff

Players that will be pushing for selection:
Neade
Butcher
O'shea
Amon
Clurey
Polec - Only due to time out.
Impey
Colquhoun
Young
Ah Chee
Jonas
S. Gray
Krakouer

Players unlikely for selection:
Stewart
Austin
Bonner
Johnson
Howard
Byrne-Jones
Palmer
Frampton
Mitchell
Snelling
Houston
Hewett

I only read the teams that list the forward line at the top.

They are not official until they are posted in the window of the local deli.

Players that will play come round 1 - barring injury
Boak
Broadbent
Ebert
Hartlett
Gray
Trengove
Wines
Toumpas
White
Wingard
Dixon
Lobbe
Carlile
Schulz
Pittard
Hombsch
Westhoff

Players that will be pushing for selection:
Neade
Butcher
O'shea
Amon
Clurey
Polec - Only due to time out.
Impey
Colquhoun
Young
Ah Chee
Jonas
S. Gray
Krakouer

Players unlikely for selection:
Stewart
Austin
Bonner
Johnson
Howard
Byrne-Jones
Palmer
Frampton
Mitchell
Snelling
Houston
Hewett

Unless Toumpas has a really good nab cup I'm having Ah Chee, S.Gray and Impey in before him. I really hope "The Toump" can establish himself though :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-Season game 1, vs. Sydney @ Blacktown

a combination of young players + fringe players pushing for selection

F:
Stewart - Butcher - Amon
HF: Young - Howard - Palmer
C: Mitchell - S. Gray - Toumpas
HB: Byrne-Jones - Austin - Krakouer
B: O'Shea - Clurey - Jonas
R: Frampton - Wines (C) - Snelling
INT: Bonner - Johnson - Hewett - Houston - Colquhoun - Polec

give Wines the captaincy for this game, give him a little taste, plus bring in Polec off the bench as part of his recovery

I want Palmer to play so I can sing "Jesse's Goal"

Jesse is a forward
Yeah I know he's been a forward for the Pies
But lately somethings changed
It ain't hard to define
Jesse Palmers kicking goals
Like Akermanis in his prime

And he's kicking them with his right
He'll kick them around the body I just know it
And when he takes a diving mark, right next to the line

You know I want Jesse to kick a goal
Yeah I want Jesse's goal
Mark on the lead or a crumbing snap
Jesse's goal
I want, I want Jesse's goal...

Pre-Season game 1, vs. Sydney @ Blacktown

a combination of young players + fringe players pushing for selection

F:
Stewart - Butcher - Amon
HF: Young - Howard - Palmer
C: Mitchell - S. Gray - Toumpas
HB: Byrne-Jones - Austin - Krakouer
B: O'Shea - Clurey - Jonas
R: Frampton - Wines (C) - Snelling
INT: Bonner - Johnson - Hewett - Houston - Colquhoun - Polec

give Wines the captaincy for this game, give him a little taste, plus bring in Polec off the bench as part of his recovery

Depends on what Sydney do. If they play a best 22 available and fit then we could struggle to give the forwards some sort of chance to compete.

Depends on what Sydney do. If they play a best 22 available and fit then we could struggle to give the forwards some sort of chance to compete.
they might play Buddy up forward, since he missed the finals, and Callum Mills since he's new, but apart from that, would they play the starting 22 so early in the year?

might even see the Hewett brothers face off against each other

I want Palmer to play so I can sing "Jesse's Goal"

Jesse is a forward
Yeah I know he's been a forward for the Pies
But lately somethings changed
It ain't hard to define
Jesse Palmers kicking goals
Like Akermanis in his prime

And he's kicking them with his right
He'll kick them around the body I just know it
And when he takes a diving mark, right next to the line

You know I want Jesse to kick a goal