Opinion Best PAFC mark ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ones I’ve seen live,
1. Schulz goaline.
2. wingardium levioso
3. SGray Showdown.
4. Logan
5. Tredrea both ends v Richmond.

I got to see four great marks live in my lifetime... and I think the one that wowed me the most and still wows me because of how high he got and the uniqueness of it was Jay Schulz at the G in 2013.

Chad Wingard also ALMOST took a better mark in the same match, but the ball bounced off his shoulder instead.

And I was right in front of Wingard when he took his mark of the year, that s**t was nuts too.

Mitch Georgiades' mark of the year was great, but not as good as the other two, was down the other end for that one though.

Also got to see Liam Jurrah's mark of the year which was unbelievable, but it was against us not for us.

Was the Jurrah one the same game as the Schulz one? I saw both live, just can’t remember if Jurrah was at MCG, that was so good I cheered for it.

Randall-Gerlach.jpg
Thanks Ford ❤️

Schulz in the goalsquare, always.

Wingard 2014 was brilliant but it was a perfect setup for him. Every footballer practises that st training with the special speccy pads from under 6s to division 6. The atmosphere though was incredible when it happened. The Schulz mark though was ridiculously unorthodox. A rolling chest mark whilst flying over the top of a pack, travelling perpendicular to the flight of the ball. You can't practise that. It was millisecond precision.

Schulz had no right at all to mark the footy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was the Jurrah one the same game as the Schulz one? I saw both live, just can’t remember if Jurrah was at MCG, that was so good I cheered for it.
Jurrah's was at footy park. Watching it live my immediate reaction was that it was the best mark I've ever seen. On replay it doesnt't look as good as it did seeing it live

Max James was the most consistent high mark I've seen at Port. Took so many screamers, and yet so hard to find photos on the interwebz.

The Jay Schulz mark in the Goal Square against the Dees at the MCG Round 1 2013 was the best one i've seen from a Port player. Absolutely ridiculous that didn't even get mark of the year, and Jamie Elliot got it instead for a good speccy but nowhere near as good.

A couple of the best marks I've ever seen from other clubs weren't awarded marks of the year either. Nick Riewoldt in 2004 and Andrew Walker in 2011.

When I was a kid Max James took the highest mark I've ever seen on video by a Port player. He stood on the shoulders of the opposition and went higher again so his head was clearly higher than the point post as he clunked the mark in two outstretched hands. Back in those days the point post was shorter than now but even so it was amazingly high. I'd love to know whether any footage of it is around, who it was against and when. The camera work wasn't that great and the light wasn't good from memory, so perhaps that's why we don't see it run as much as it deserved to be.

When I was a kid Max James took the highest mark I've ever seen on video by a Port player. He stood on the shoulders of the opposition and went higher again so his head was clearly higher than the point post as he clunked the mark in two outstretched hands. Back in those days the point post was shorter than now but even so it was amazingly high. I'd love to know whether any footage of it is around, who it was against and when. The camera work wasn't that great and the light wasn't good from memory, so perhaps that's why we don't see it run as much as it deserved to be.
Not sure if it's the same one, but Max James took a mark in the northern goal square of Glenelg oval in 1974 which is still the highest I have ever seen, and is still the best for me since the Brian Luke mark at Thebarton oval in the early 1960's which I also saw live.

I was standing on the mound directly behind the goals, and Max just went straight up and took a two handed grab with his arms fully outstretched and his sprigs level with the top of the head of the Glenelg defender, who had also jumped in the air.

It was a spectacular grab, and a grainy pic which appeared to have been taken from the members' stand wing and was printed in the Sunday Mail the next day showed the mark as James was on his way down from the peak height at which it was taken.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the same one, but Max James took a mark in the northern goal square of Glenelg oval in 1974 which is still the highest I have ever seen, and is still the best for me since the Brian Luke mark at Thebarton oval in the early 1960's which I was also saw live.

I was standing on the mound directly behind the goals, and Max just went straight up and took a two handed grab with his arms fully outstretched and his sprigs level with the top of the head of the Glenelg defender, who had also jumped in the air.

It was a spectacular grab, and a grainy pic which appeared to have been taken from the members' stand wing and was printed in the Sunday Mail the next day showed the mark as James was on his way down from the peak height at which it was taken.
Thanks for that. I knew it was an away game and I thought it was against the Bays or Torrens (I thought I remembered a diagonal sash) but wasn't sure. You have confirmed it. Thanks again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collating this sort of content into a video would be great from the PAFC social media team.

It would be great from a social media engagement point of view.

And also a great connection to and reminder of our prison bars past.

Best mark
Best goal
Best individual performance
Best bouncing run
Best ruck work
Best individual kick at goal (Scotty)
Etc. Etc.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hang on, this pic was in the Townsville Bulletin - Max James in the 1977 grand final.

ca11da1cb8157aa8625c006270be1c34
Members wing. Looking into the sun from the scoreboard side with my younger brother and also with my best mate at the game. Just soared with the proverbial "leap like a startled gazelle" spring.
On the way back down in this photo.

I also remember Keith Spencer taking a couple of speckies standing on Dean Farnham's shoulsers at Elizabeth one day.

And Russell Ebert's make on the grandstand wing in Tasmania - except the umpire, Don Blue, didn't pay the mark. Called it in the back.

Not a mark but footy in the 70s, 1977 second semi final at Footy Park vs Glenelg in the pouring rain, no cover, umbrellas up and a punch on out on the wing, featuring Bruce Light, Ivan Eckermann, John Spry and Kym Kinnear (along with Bucky Cunningham and Russell Ebert). That was close to "right in front of me"

f5beb832fe6342b355f07cc4d4743c10

Not a mark but footy in the 70s, 1977 second semi final at Footy Park vs Glenelg in the pouring rain, no cover, umbrellas up and a punch on out on the wing, featuring Bruce Light, Ivan Eckermann, John Spry and Kym Kinnear (along with Bucky Cunningham and Russell Ebert). That was close to "right in front of me"

f5beb832fe6342b355f07cc4d4743c10

Where's our number 18?

Members wing. Looking into the sun from the scoreboard side with my younger brother and also with my best mate at the game. Just soared with the proverbial "leap like a startled gazelle" spring.
On the way back down in this photo.

I also remember Keith Spencer taking a couple of speckies standing on Dean Farnham's shoulsers at Elizabeth one day.

And Russell Ebert's make on the grandstand wing in Tasmania - except the umpire, Don Blue, didn't pay the mark. Called it in the back.
Keith Spencer could definitely take a speckie, there used to be a pic above the members' bar way back when Marx Kretschmer was working there that showed Keith standing on top of the pack right forward flank at the river end of Adelaide oval, which I believe was taken during a Port v Norwood ressie's game in his first couple of seasons at the club.

From memory, Schulz on top of the goalline pack just shading Tom Logan in the dolphin icecream vendor guernsey against Hawthorn.

Not sure if it's the same one, but Max James took a mark in the northern goal square of Glenelg oval in 1974 which is still the highest I have ever seen, and is still the best for me since the Brian Luke mark at Thebarton oval in the early 1960's which I also saw live.

Pretty sure Max's mark was in 1972,it was my first ever visit to the bay.Also learnt a couple of new swear words off Fos at three quarter time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back