Opinion Best PAFC goal ever

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasnt his best ever goal, but I remember Ginever kicking a goal against West where he barely made the distance from 45m out, and there was controversy on whether it was touched. I can't remember if it was after the final siren, but I seem to remember it was a very significant factor in Port winning the game.

Was around "87 at a guess.

Yes the first game after the AFL bid was leaked, pretty sure we kicked 13 or 14 goals in the third quarter would be great to watch that game again we had a great side in 89/90.
Have you thought about downloading the games on to YouTube?
More than happy to. I will try and do it in the next few weeks whilst on leave.

Ford, help me out. David Granger was on the ground with two Woodville players on top pummelling him, members' wing at Footy Park. I thought to myself at the time "are they nuts?".
One of them was Coudre (I think. The spelling is incorrect I'm sure), not sure about the other.
Not long after, Granger was standing with Coudre, grandstand forward pocket, southern end (where we sat), play down the other end. Granger trotted up behind him and whacked him, breaking his cheekbone and jaw. He casually jogged off as Coudre crumpled to the ground.

Jack used to hold him back sometimes. He would pace the boundary like a caged animal until unleashed. Wonderfully skilled but a little on the scary side.

Yes it was Coudraye as Port 2004 remembered. Dave was belted by Peter Anderson when he ran on the ground, Dave hit him back and put 7 stitches in Anderson's jaw.

So he was fired up from the outset. Story went that Dave broke Coudraye's jaw again the next time they played too.

Yes it was Coudraye as Port 2004 remembered. Dave was belted by Peter Anderson when he ran on the ground, Dave hit him back and put 7 stitches in Anderson's jaw.

So he was fired up from the outset. Story went that Dave broke Coudraye's jaw again the next time they played too.
Amazing how Dave was always the culprit and never the victim. The treatment of Dave was nothing short of disgusting. As I have mentioned on this forum many times in the past, there were plenty worse than Dave over the years. They just didn’t wear black and white and as such were not crucified by ******* KG and co on a weekly basis.

It wasnt his best ever goal, but I remember Ginever kicking a goal against West where he barely made the distance from 45m out, and there was controversy on whether it was touched. I can't remember if it was after the final siren, but I seem to remember it was a very significant factor in Port winning the game.

Was around "87 at a guess.
If Tim made the distance from 45m out there must have been a 120km per hr gale behind him.

He would have started his run up from centre wing to get up running speed too :cool:

Considering all of the above, it would have been goal of the season!!!

Roman Smith kicked 2 amazing goals within a short period v Wesr Torrens, circa 1989.

On of the "luckiest" - apart from Monfries' - was David Brown, first goal for the team 8n 1988 Grand Final, after Glenelg had the early momentum.

I seem to remember one of Hodges' goals in 1990 - I think against West at Alberton - where he seemed to snap it over his shoulder from about 40m out.
You are right. It was at least 40 metres out. Someone of the best football played ever by a player was Scotty in 1990. Also to come back in the 1990 gf on one leg was amazing. Of course we went into that game without Rohan and Browny. Timmy on one leg as well. Those Glenelg w***ers still couldn’t beat us. I remember when the siren went, a few of us in the members turned to a host of Glenelg officials and asked them to take that to court. No response from any of them.

I went and watched the KG footy show footage again from 1981 grand final show after Ford mentioned it yesterday.

I loved how Granger said how soft the Bays were and how Russell Ebert said how "disappointed" he was in the way Glenelg played.....just to rub it in.

These days our current leaders would have probably apologised to the opposition for beating them.

From a moment standpoint then it has to be Hodges Prelim. Nothing else comes close.

From a technical standpoint, then the Motlop banana from 50 is hard to beat.

Actually from a technical standpoint the Hodges one still probably wins that as it was a virtually impossible kick that he managed to execute absolutely perfectly.

I went and watched the KG footy show footage again from 1981 grand final show after Ford mentioned it yesterday.

I loved how Granger said how soft the Bays were and how Russell Ebert said how "disappointed" he was in the way Glenelg played.....just to rub it in.

These days our current leaders would have probably apologised to the opposition for beating them.

Just quietly, I bought a red beret after that appearance :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave Granger was among the (hungover) Port players to appear on the Sunday Footy Show after the 1981 premiership. He was wearing a red beret and his chin was resting on his chest most of the time.

The conversation came around to Ken Cunningham writing Port off for finals during the year and one of the panel (might have been Gary Window) asked Dave what he thought of KG. Dave said he reckoned Cunningham was CP. Ken laughed and said What's CP David, canned peas? Dave looked up from under his beret and said Canned peas? I'll give you canned peas Cunningham. KG laughed nervously and probably wondered if he was was going to get out of the studio alive. :D
My memory of that Footy Show appearance was that Cunnington had apparently at some point in the season described Granger as a CP (Can't Play), and that comment had been gnawing away at him for some time.

As you suggest when DG got the opportunity to speak he used the canned peas comment to put the wind up the bloke big time. :cool:

Hodges prelim goal by daylight. Not just because of its difficulty. If you were asked to show a single passage of play, of what epitomised what Port Adelaide WAS, then that’s hard to pass. Game of the line, needing someone to stand up, requiring desperation, skill and 100% confidence in himself and his teammates in him, as everyone else hoped he/Port failed. No nerves and nails it, validating the self-belief his coach and self-belief Port history and tradition had given him.

I wouldn’t back any of our current players to have the confidence to demand that ball, take it, then slot it. It’s a different club. It’s enough to make a grown man weep.

Hodges goal in the 96 prelim was probably a better goal but wanganeens goal in the 04 prelim was a much bigger moment. Our first afl grand final after 3 years of messing it up in finals. Was as special as it gets and stands out well in front of any other goal as it was on the big stage in the big league.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Hodges goal - apart from all the technical reasons discussed - for the pure theatre is my most memorable. We were gone in that game, should have been all over 5 minutes earlier. Then an obvious free kick (although amusingly not to our Norwood friends) is paid after we fought back to get within a goal, the trauma on the Norwood bench when they realised who had the free, the heartbreak for them after he kicked it, Scott's celebration. The spectacle, all it needed was a Christian and a lion.

Gladiator GIF

I would love to be able to claim an epic goal that was kicked on the road to a flag but as a 31-year-old the best goal I've seen as a conscious supporter is the Wines snap against Shitmantle.

Therefore, Sack Hinkley.

I wouldn’t back any of our current players to have the confidence to demand that ball, take it, then slot it. It’s a different club. It’s enough to make a grown man weep.

For emphasis,

Almost 10 years after Hodges’ strike, Daniel Motlop had his chance to win the game after taking a superb late mark against St Kilda in Tasmania — the final siren went as he was lining up, and he visibly winced.

Daniel Motlop.

The most technically-gifted player I’ve ever seen, who could make a ball dance from all angles, reduced to a suburban plodder incapable of a 40m set shot because the spotlight was suddenly too bright.

This is peak Hoff

As I recall, on the replay you can hear one of the miked umpires behind Westhoff go "no way" as he watches Westhoff's snap go through.
I do like White's full tilt run against Richmond. The 2014 goal of the year. A goal like that is scripted. Burning off a couple of players against your old side. Evading a divind to kick it from 40m out.

For emphasis,

Almost 10 years after Hodges’ strike, Daniel Motlop had his chance to win the game after taking a superb late mark against St Kilda in Tasmania — the final siren went as he was lining up, and he visibly winced.

Daniel Motlop.

The most technically-gifted player I’ve ever seen, who could make a ball dance from all angles, reduced to a suburban plodder incapable of a 40m set shot because the spotlight was suddenly too bright.
Pretty much sums up the vast majority of our AFL existence. Choking under pressure.

Seem to recall this was late in a game after Hodges kicked 10, possibly the last of that 4 game 10-goal stretch.

Yes that is correct. Scott Hodges in consecutive weeks kicked 14 goals against West, 10 goals against Woodville, 11 goals against South and 11 goals against Sturt. That made Scott the first player to kick 10 goals or more in three consecutive games, then to prove it was no fluke he made it four consecutive games.

We won 3 of those games by 100+ points (Woodville kept the margin to 36 even thought we kicked 22 goals) and we finished off with a 148 point win against Sturt.

I recall Greg had a chance the week before against South but missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back